Dan Leavy retires

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Dan Leavy retires

Post by deco »

All we can do now is buy loads of his whiskey.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

deco wrote: April 5th, 2022, 1:07 pm All we can do now is buy loads of his whiskey.
Sláinte!!!!
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Best of luck with everything for the future Dan. Thanks for the memories, look after yourself.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Should rename the Leinster Players' Player of the Season Award in his honour. He won the award back in 2018 and paid a very, very high price for his determination and competitiveness on Leinster duty the next season.

He had the respect of everyone who played and trained with him and those who paid in to see him at the RDS – I think it would be a fitting tribute to a hell of a player and a hell of a Leinster man.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote: April 5th, 2022, 1:43 pm Should rename the Leinster Players' Player of the Season Award in his honour. He won the award back in 2018 and paid a very, very high price for his determination and competitiveness on Leinster duty the next season.

He had the respect of everyone who played and trained with him and those who paid in to see him at the RDS – I think it would be a fitting tribute to a hell of a player and a hell of a Leinster man.
:clap: :clap:
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: April 5th, 2022, 1:43 pm Should rename the Leinster Players' Player of the Season Award in his honour. He won the award back in 2018 and paid a very, very high price for his determination and competitiveness on Leinster duty the next season.

That would be a fitting tribute.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Have always been convinced that the Saturday night in Newcastle would have been very different if Dan had played that afternoon. Sorely missed in the 2019 RWC as well.
Thanks for some incredible memories.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

3 years he spend working to get back and 3 years we spend waiting and we'd have waited another 3 he was such a good player.

Fantastic all around, so tough, so hard to play against.

Immediate effect means medical advice. Hope he's okay long term and gets a good insurance payout.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

ronk wrote: April 5th, 2022, 1:57 pm 3 years he spend working to get back and 3 years we spend waiting and we'd have waited another 3 he was such a good player.

Immediate effect means medical advice. Hope he's okay long term and gets a good insurance payout.
I know this might be seen as a stretch but the relationship he had with James Ryan off and on the pitch seemed to get another level out of Ryan when they played together before the injury. I don’t think Ryan has been able to get back to the same peak - albeit that he is a fantastic player now too
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by deco

All we can do now is buy loads of his whiskey.
Agreed. Support our own. An amazing player. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Without doubt the most effective back-row player I've ever seen for Leinster throughout every minute of his career up to his injury. Inspirational to team-mates and fans alike. Like Stephen Ferris up North he shone like a beacon in the game, but too briefly.

Thanks for the great days and for the efforts you put in to give us more of them. With the same application, you'll make a major success of anything you focus on. Good luck.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 5th, 2022, 2:11 pm
ronk wrote: April 5th, 2022, 1:57 pm 3 years he spend working to get back and 3 years we spend waiting and we'd have waited another 3 he was such a good player.

I know this might be seen as a stretch but the relationship he had with James Ryan off and on the pitch seemed to get another level out of Ryan when they played together before the injury. I don’t think Ryan has been able to get back to the same peak - albeit that he is a fantastic player now too
Whatever about off the pitch, certainly on it they had a special understanding, which allowed them to enhance each other's game.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

If I was in a trench facing the enemy, I'd want Dan Leavy beside me.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I just had a look at the Grand Slam team that played England and it's been a really strange progression. You'd expect a lot of the older guys to have retired or not be involved with Ireland at this stage but loads of them still are (Earls, Sexton, Healy, POM) and so many of the younger lads have been injured a lot and not kicked on to backbone the team (Stockdale, James Ryan, Leavy, Marmion, Joey, Larmour). James Ryan is obviously a really important player for us but he's been injured a fair bit and I think the general expectation would have been that he'd be Ireland captain and a Lion by now. Jack McGrath and Murray were only 28 but have been destroyed by injuries, and CJ was only 27 but has retired as well.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Great player.

Very, very sad day.

Best of luck in the future, Dan 👍
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Barry wrote: April 5th, 2022, 1:49 pm Have always been convinced that the Saturday night in Newcastle would have been very different if Dan had played that afternoon. Sorely missed in the 2019 RWC as well.
Thanks for some incredible memories.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Was thinking this exact same thing myself. Absolutely phenomenal player, a real game changer. Best of luck in the future Dan.
Dont Panic!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Very nice and clearly heartfelt tribute from POM to Dan on RTE News app
dirtyshirt
Beginner

Post by dirtyshirt »

Very sad news but well advised not to continue playing in th circumstances. A really top class player and key to may of Leinster's and Irelands successes and will be remembered as such. Hope he stays in connected with Leinster, if only to cheer them on as a supporter!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

RTE news : O'Mahony 'gutted' to hear of Leavy retirement

http://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-ch ... etirement/
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Sad news. Best of luck to him.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles