Dan Leavy retires

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Dan Leavy retires

Post by fourthirtythree »

Would absolutely love him against Toulouse for the weekend. His poaching, aggression at ruck...

We really miss him.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oldschool wrote: May 9th, 2022, 9:26 am
Hoofhearted wrote: May 8th, 2022, 1:34 pm I was a little bit surprised and happy to see Dan meeting the team off the coach on arrival at Leicester and even more surprised and delighted to see him pitch side during the game.

I wonder if Dan is considering coaching in the Leinster set up?
Would he get a "Star" if Leinster win the HCC.
IE Was he named in our HCC squad?
I doubt it - he was named in the squad but didn’t play and EPCR have this ridiculous thing that you only get a star if you’re in the squad for the final.

In 2018 Ross Byrne and Josh van der Flier both played 6 games and Ferg played all 8 up to the final and yet NONE of them have a star on the EPCR website.

I know at least one person (probably Dave :? )is going to say that Leinster get a certain number of medals and give them out but if you’re not in the final the official record doesn’t list you as a Champion.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
leargas
Bookworm

Post by leargas »

Best of wishes, Dan.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Xanthippe wrote: May 9th, 2022, 10:32 pmI doubt it - he was named in the squad but didn’t play and EPCR have this ridiculous thing that you only get a star if you’re in the squad for the final.

In 2018 Ross Byrne and Josh van der Flier both played 6 games and Ferg played all 8 up to the final and yet NONE of them have a star on the EPCR website.

I know at least one person (probably Dave :? )is going to say that Leinster get a certain number of medals and give them out but if you’re not in the final the official record doesn’t list you as a Champion.
Frustrating as an outsider but can't imagine it matters too much to the players if they know the extent to which they contributed.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Morf wrote: May 10th, 2022, 3:41 am
Xanthippe wrote: May 9th, 2022, 10:32 pmI doubt it - he was named in the squad but didn’t play and EPCR have this ridiculous thing that you only get a star if you’re in the squad for the final.

Frustrating as an outsider but can't imagine it matters too much to the players if they know the extent to which they contributed.
Speaking as a dad who's 17 yo missed out on a league and cup medal when she missed the end of the hockey season due to injury I'd say it matters massively to the players
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

deco wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:17 am
Morf wrote: May 10th, 2022, 3:41 amFrustrating as an outsider but can't imagine it matters too much to the players if they know the extent to which they contributed.
Speaking as a dad who's 17 yo missed out on a league and cup medal when she missed the end of the hockey season due to injury I'd say it matters massively to the players
I'm not sure that adds a huge amount to the perspective of a professional athlete though - which it seems neither of us is privy to.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 5th, 2022, 10:40 am Herbst attempts to bind on Fardy who steps back causing him to fall on the ground, at the same time O'Sullivan binds on Leavy and drives him back, his leg gets trapped and the injury occurs. There is no flying torpedo at a prone knee. It was an unfortunate rugby incident
I finally got to listen to the recent interview/podcast with Leavy on the Rugby Pod. Here it is, for those who haven't listened:
https://www.therugbypod.com/podcast/epi ... -dan-leavy

It's the only time I have ever heard him address the incident, but there is no doubt that he blames Herbst. It appears he has even discussed the incident with the powers that be, with a view to improving protection at ruck time.

It's a good segment. Interesting he decided to choose a UK/English podcast as his first proper platform.
Not always a fan of Hamilton but I have to admit his "interviewing style" really does get conversations going.
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

curates_egg wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:01 am
I finally got to listen to the recent interview/podcast with Leavy on the Rugby Pod. Here it is, for those who haven't listened:

It's the only time I have ever heard him address the incident, but there is no doubt that he blames Herbst. It appears he has even discussed the incident with the powers that be, with a view to improving protection at ruck time.

It's a good segment. Interesting he decided to choose a UK/English podcast as his first proper platform.
Not always a fan of Hamilton but I have to admit his "interviewing style" really does get conversations going.
Leavy starts at 40 minutes if you don't want to listen to them talk about Guinness and blackcurrant in Dublin for 35 minutes
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

chrismcc wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:07 pm

Leavy starts at 40 minutes if you don't want to listen to them talk about Guinness and blackcurrant in Dublin for 35 minutes
:lol: :lol: Sorry
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

curates_egg wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:50 pm

I thought it was an OK podcast, but Guinness and Blackcurrant - that's a sin that has it's own category
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Morf wrote: May 11th, 2022, 3:09 am
deco wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:17 am
Morf wrote: May 10th, 2022, 3:41 amFrustrating as an outsider but can't imagine it matters too much to the players if they know the extent to which they contributed.
I'm not sure that adds a huge amount to the perspective of a professional athlete though - which it seems neither of us is privy to.
Think not playing that world cup final scarred Jimmy Greaves for life despite the fact that England would never have won in 1966 if he hadn't been part of the journey. Maybe the psychology is different now in terms of the credit given to squad members and their contribution.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:53 pm

I thought it was an OK podcast, but Guinness and Blackcurrant - that's a sin that has it's own category
I was a young prop of 18 years old, having a post match lager and I was struck down with terrible case of hiccups. A team mate's brother suggested a Guinness as it was less fizzy, I did. I found the taste a bit too strong for my liking. I then asked the barman in the clubhouse for a drop of blackcurrant, he looked at me like I was tapped. I was young and and wanted a drink. I then returned to the lads, who proceeded to rip the all mighty Michael out of me. It was my first and last one Guinness and blackcurrant. Some years later, I am happy to confirm I have now love a drop of the Liffey water as God intended sans blackcurrant
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

It may be years ago and you may have mended your ways since, but you should serve time for such an appalling crime.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

RoboProp wrote: December 6th, 2022, 1:04 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:53 pm

I was a young prop of 18 years old, having a post match lager and I was struck down with terrible case of hiccups. A team mate's brother suggested a Guinness as it was less fizzy, I did. I found the taste a bit too strong for my liking. I then asked the barman in the clubhouse for a drop of blackcurrant, he looked at me like I was tapped. I was young and and wanted a drink. I then returned to the lads, who proceeded to rip the all mighty Michael out of me. It was my first and last one Guinness and blackcurrant. Some years later, I am happy to confirm I have now love a drop of the Liffey water as God intended sans blackcurrant
me dad brought me in for my first pint when I was 16 on the way home from a nixer, I asked for a pint of Furstenburg, he got me a Guinness - the rest is history