Connacht v Leinster 8th April

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Connacht v Leinster 8th April

Post by curates_egg »

That was a cracking contest. I was surprised we let them back into it in the second half but it’s credit to them.

There was some very good back play by both sides.
Our back three is so good. I thought Keenan was again on another level though. He is at the heart of every good attack.

Their handling and lines of running are great. I thought AKi and Farrell were better than Henshaw and Ringrose, and Porch and Hansen were excellent.

VDF is unreal. Such a high level of consistent performance. Doris very good too.

On the penalty where Byrne missed touch, beyond it being poor play, it was a poor decision. We needed scores, not tries. The way the game was, you take your points. I was glad we kicked the next one.

People rightly criticising the two 9s and Byrne. But what about Sexton’s woejaysus place kicking?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Connacht will be happier with that score. Big difference between 2 and 5 points so it was nice to pull away. 2 points is small enough that you ignore it almost, margins are usually wider. 5 points is manageable and still not at the level that it significantly changes tactics. We just need to beat Connacht and we have a small cushion. The extra points could come back to haunt them

Connacht will be happier with the score. We threatened to run up a score but they disrupted enough and managed to live for another day.

It was their first ever Heineken Cup knockout game and it was their biggest possible draw. Their League season is pretty much over. This next game is possibly a career defining moment for some of their lads.

I still expect that they've had their high water mark and we'll pull away, but Connacht will try otherwise
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

curates_egg wrote: April 9th, 2022, 7:19 am

On the penalty where Byrne missed touch, beyond it being poor play, it was a poor decision. We needed scores, not tries. The way the game was, you take your points. I was glad we kicked the next one.

Maybe he was just eager to make up for his error but I was surprised by how determined he was to go to the corner for the next one. I think Ringrose knew he was pissed off taking the kick so made sure to tell him they needed to calm things down as they ran back for the restart. I’d have thought that building a score was the obvious thing to do for these two legs but maybe not everyone feels that way.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: April 9th, 2022, 8:58 am Connacht will be happier with that score. Big difference between 2 and 5 points so it was nice to pull away. 2 points is small enough that you ignore it almost, margins are usually wider. 5 points is manageable and still not at the level that it significantly changes tactics. We just need to beat Connacht and we have a small cushion. The extra points could come back to haunt them

Connacht will be happier with the score. We threatened to run up a score but they disrupted enough and managed to live for another day.

It was their first ever Heineken Cup knockout game and it was their biggest possible draw. Their League season is pretty much over. This next game is possibly a career defining moment for some of their lads.

I still expect that they've had their high water mark and we'll pull away, but Connacht will try otherwise
I think everyone will be happy enough with that result as a blow out would have killed ticket sales this week. I have 2 lads going with me who wouldn’t be going if there wasn’t something on the line.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Connacht played really well and deserve huge credit for pushing such a high quality team so close. Keenan as ever a joy to watch, his vision for the game is second to none and I think hes getting better. Didnt like some of Sextons interactions with the ref and he needs to be careful. I think Osbourne and Frawley are possibly playing better for the team than Ringrose and Henshaw at the moment, Id be tempted to put them in for the second leg and keep everything else pretty much the same, bar people coming back from injury. On the JGP incident, it was certainly clumbsy and another day could easily have been a red, but I dont think there is any intent to drive the shoulder into the face. From what I saw the player is moving at pace and being tackled into JPG who stands his ground and makes a clumbsy challenge. Ref got it spot on imo, pity Marmion got a smash out of it, but hey, thats rugby.

A note on the ref, I thought he had a very good game in very difficult circumstances. I think there is an onus on the players to be respectful to the referees. Do they want to be dealing with cheerful, positive referees? or strict 'go away', 'penalty against you', im not going to listen to you at all schoolmaster type ones?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Experimental wrote: April 9th, 2022, 12:45 pm Connacht played really well and deserve huge credit for pushing such a high quality team so close. Keenan as ever a joy to watch, his vision for the game is second to none and I think hes getting better. Didnt like some of Sextons interactions with the ref and he needs to be careful. I think Osbourne and Frawley are possibly playing better for the team than Ringrose and Henshaw at the moment, Id be tempted to put them in for the second leg and keep everything else pretty much the same, bar people coming back from injury. On the JGP incident, it was certainly clumbsy and another day could easily have been a red, but I dont think there is any intent to drive the shoulder into the face. From what I saw the player is moving at pace and being tackled into JPG who stands his ground and makes a clumbsy challenge. Ref got it spot on imo, pity Marmion got a smash out of it, but hey, thats rugby.

A note on the ref, I thought he had a very good game in very difficult circumstances. I think there is an onus on the players to be respectful to the referees. Do they want to be dealing with cheerful, positive referees? or strict 'go away', 'penalty against you', im not going to listen to you at all schoolmaster type ones?
Agree with all of this bar playing Osborne.

I'd have shown Sexton a yellow and he would have deserved it.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

jezzer wrote: April 9th, 2022, 1:23 pm
Experimental wrote: April 9th, 2022, 12:45 pm Connacht played really well and deserve huge credit for pushing such a high quality team so close. Keenan as ever a joy to watch, his vision for the game is second to none and I think hes getting better. Didnt like some of Sextons interactions with the ref and he needs to be careful. I think Osbourne and Frawley are possibly playing better for the team than Ringrose and Henshaw at the moment, Id be tempted to put them in for the second leg and keep everything else pretty much the same, bar people coming back from injury. On the JGP incident, it was certainly clumbsy and another day could easily have been a red, but I dont think there is any intent to drive the shoulder into the face. From what I saw the player is moving at pace and being tackled into JPG who stands his ground and makes a clumbsy challenge. Ref got it spot on imo, pity Marmion got a smash out of it, but hey, thats rugby.

Agree with all of this bar playing Osborne.

I'd have shown Sexton a yellow and he would have deserved it.
Beyond his questionable interactions with the ref, I found his simulation when he got brushed by a shoulder to be embarrassing. It’s something he gets criticised for by opposition fans and, while it’s sometimes overhammed, I think last night did not reflect well on him.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by curates_egg » April 9th, 2022, 2:19 pm

Beyond his questionable interactions with the ref, I found his simulation when he got brushed by a shoulder to be embarrassing. It’s something he gets criticised for by opposition fans and, while it’s sometimes overhammed, I think last night did not reflect well on him.
I thought Sexton was utterly childish in his interactions last night. It doesn't reflect well on him at all and it's going to cost us big in a game one day.

After watching the game again I was impressed by both sets of players who gave us a great game and a lot of players put their hands up for the New Zealand tour. Can't wait for round two.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

You know, he doesn't have to be likeable, that's his choice.

But the rules are clear about simulation and about respect for the ref. Sexton is long overdue being reminded with action by the officials.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

If players are going to seek out to injure Sexton and they are not disuaded by poor refereeing then he's perfectly fine to highlight when he's been taken out illegally.

And Dickson was awful.
Anyone But New Zealand
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

FLIP wrote: April 9th, 2022, 2:55 pm If players are going to seek out to injure Sexton and they are not disuaded by poor refereeing then he's perfectly fine to highlight when he's been taken out illegally.
That’s why I said that the criticism is sometimes overhammed. But the incident last night was just embarrassing. Nobody tried to take him out. I think it was Dowling who brushed against him accidentally. I would need to watch back.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

curates_egg wrote: April 9th, 2022, 3:20 pm
FLIP wrote: April 9th, 2022, 2:55 pm If players are going to seek out to injure Sexton and they are not disuaded by poor refereeing then he's perfectly fine to highlight when he's been taken out illegally.
That’s why I said that the criticism is sometimes overhammed. But the incident last night was just embarrassing. Nobody tried to take him out. I think it was Dowling who brushed against him accidentally. I would need to watch back.
They went after him all game, at least 2 off the ball tackles, several high tackles ignored
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It wasn't a 'brush'. Sexton got a shoulder/elbow into the face from Dowling as he went down to pick up a ball on 62 mins.

Not sure how you'd call that 'simulation' or 'embarrassing' in any way.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: April 9th, 2022, 4:06 pm It wasn't a 'brush'. Sexton got a shoulder/elbow into the face from Dowling as he went down to pick up a ball on 62 mins.

Both players went down, Dowling's shoulder brushed his face. Sexton roared and grabbed his head (delayed reaction) and rolled around.
It was embarrassing.

There were some late hits last night where you might have excused him making a meal of it to get the officials’ attention. But this was just embarrassing play acting.
I struggle to think of any other player who does it.

He made a couple of dodgy hits himself too.

The simulation and his lack of respect in engaging with referees is really such a pity. I believe it undermines his credibility and the perception of him in the wider rugby public. He should be perceived as one of the all time greats but, outside Ireland, many just see him as a play-acting whinger.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

curates_egg wrote: April 9th, 2022, 4:36 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 9th, 2022, 4:06 pm It wasn't a 'brush'. Sexton got a shoulder/elbow into the face from Dowling as he went down to pick up a ball on 62 mins.

Both players went down, Dowling's shoulder brushed his face. Sexton roared and grabbed his head (delayed reaction) and rolled around.
It was embarrassing.

There were some late hits last night where you might have excused him making a meal of it to get the officials’ attention. But this was just embarrassing play acting.

The simulation and his lack of respect in engaging with referees is really such a pity. I believe it undermines his credibility and the perception of him in the wider rugby public. He should be perceived as one of the all time greats but, outside Ireland, many just see him as a play-acting whinger.
I wouldnt countenance any disrespect towards the Referee, and I think Sexton went about it the wrong way , But Carty was in the ref's ear all match , and he WAS influencing him , so I can see why Sexton was frustrated. I also think Dixon was a weak referee all night, and with his demeanor , left himself open to criticism.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

It was embarrassing.

You said yourself you'd 'have to watch it back'. I have.

It didn't 'brush' him. Dowling's shoulder/elbow hit him in the face as he went down to collect the ball.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What was so bad about Johnny’s interactions with the ref? I only really remember him complaining after the Molony “obstruction” and then giving out to Carty but not actually the referee.

I’m genuinely asking btw, enough people have mentioned it that I must have missed something.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

alanair wrote: April 9th, 2022, 4:44 pm

It was embarrassing.

I wouldnt countenance any disrespect towards the Referee, and I think Sexton went about it the wrong way , But Carty was in the ref's ear all match , and he WAS influencing him , so I can see why Sexton was frustrated. I also think Dixon was a weak referee all night, and with his demeanor , left himself open to criticism.
Carty played a blinder.
What's wrong with him this time or words to that affect.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Plus one
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

curates_egg wrote: April 9th, 2022, 4:36 pm The simulation and his lack of respect in engaging with referees is really such a pity. I believe it undermines his credibility and the perception of him in the wider rugby public. He should be perceived as one of the all time greats but, outside Ireland, many just see him as a play-acting whinger.
Outside New Zealand everyone thinks Ritchie McCaw was an outrageous cheater but still a great player. I don't think they care what people think. I certainly don't. Sexton is a class player. He's close to retirement and has never been carded for simulation or back chat to my knowledge so he's doing something right.