A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Connacht v Leinster 8th April

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:08 pm
ronk wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:05 pm
Dexter wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:01 pm LPG tackle wasnt a red IMO. He was going backwards or stationary at best.
Yellow fair enough.
I agree. But I've seen it given the other way more often than not.
He was upright and put his shoulder into Marmion’s face, can’t see how there’s any mitigation myself.
Because he didn't go forward into him with force. It was the other way around.
He should have gone lower, so yellow was fair enough for me.

Leo agrees with me so that's the end of that :)
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dexter wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:01 pm LPG tackle wasnt a red IMO. He was going backwards or stationary at best.
Yellow fair enough.
He was upright and put his shoulder into Marmion’s face, can’t see how there’s any mitigation myself.
Marmion was tackled into him so it was unexpected. He was high but not looking to lay a king hit. He unplants his feet to depower and let him backwards out of the tackle, which reduces the force.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

It'll be interesting to see how many away wins will occur over the weekend
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dexter wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:13 pm
Because he didn't go forward into him with force. It was the other way around.
He should have gone lower, so yellow was fair enough for me.

Leo agrees with me so that's the end of that :)
The difference for me is that I think JGP led with the shoulder as opposed to being in a safe position to tackle and it being a rugby incident.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Wonder if the citing officer will look at the Papali’i ‘tackle’ on Josh van der Fier or the Tuimauga shoulder charge. You know it’s not good when even Brian O’Driscoll questions a tackle on a Leinster player - he doesn’t exactly commentate with a bias for Leinster!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:17 pm

Marmion was tackled into him so it was unexpected. He was high but not looking to lay a king hit. He unplants his feet to depower and let him backwards out of the tackle, which reduces the force.
It was completely expected, he’s tackling him.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Intent is irrelevant so we can ignore that bit.

Freeze this at 1.04 or 1.27 and watch Marmion's head bounce back.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 5793409032

The facts are JGP doesn't wrap and hits Marmion square in the nose, enough to cause what looks like a break. Marmion didn't drop significantly and there are not other mitigating factors.

It was a clear red by letter of the law and we were very lucky to escape it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I really hope our coaching side can get to the root of some of our poor performances this year.

We put in a second half like that against a good French side in a knockout game and we're done for.

Unforced errors like Ross, JGP and McGrath made are momentum killers.
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

I think JGP tackle was a red card. He turns his right shoulder inwards just before contact. If he didn't do that, then the contact is head to chest and there is no problem.

But he did do that, first contact is shoulder to head with no mitagation so red should have been the decision I would have thought.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

On the OPP incident, I remember something similar happened with Rob Kearney in the Aviva but I’m not sure if it was against Wales or Scarlets

Stef Evans was running towards him then got tackled and stumbled forward more quickly than we would’ve run. As a result Kearney had no time to readjust his body position and Evans’ head collided with his chest. Anyone know what I’m talking about??
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:21 pm

Have to completely disagree, sorry. Never went to put a big hit in. Totally reactive from JGP.
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dexter wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:38 pm

Have to completely disagree, sorry. Never went to put a big hit in. Totally reactive from JGP.
How is it reactive when he’s part of the tackle?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:23 pm

Intent is irrelevant so we can ignore that bit.

Freeze this at 1.04 or 1.27 and watch Marmion's head bounce back.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... 5793409032

The facts are JGP doesn't wrap and hits Marmion square in the nose, enough to cause what looks like a break. Marmion didn't drop significantly and there are not other mitigating factors.

It was a clear red by letter of the law and we were very lucky to escape it.
The guys aren't robots. Turning your shoulder to protect yourself is instinctive. Fair enough if you think its red. I don't.
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:29 pm I really hope our coaching side can get to the root of some of our poor performances this year.

We put in a second half like that against a good French side in a knockout game and we're done for.

Unforced errors like Ross, JGP and McGrath made are momentum killers.
+1

Still, that was some rampage à la SO'B Josh produced in the second half, fair play to him.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:39 pm

Like I said repeatedly, he instinctively turns his shoulder to protect himself. That's how, ok?
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Robbie shows up well in the stats, I have to say I didn’t notice his carrying much during the game but he got through a lot of work.

Conan showed up well too, thought he had a good game. Himself, Josh, and Doris are all really good at coming up with a big carry just when you need it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Can we just get one things clear - whether JGP 'meant to put a big/king hit in' is irrelevant. Intent is irrelevant in the law book.

The onus is on tackler to get it right, if he doesn't, then that's on him.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It was only in the closing minutes as Ross Byrne kicked his penalty to put Leinster 5 points clear, but afforded Connacht the possible opportunity to get back into our half and snatch a winning try, that I realised the real significance of a two-legged contest.

You can't 'win' in the first leg. You can only be ahead on the scoreboard at the final whistle.

We played decent football. We didn't disclose too much. The potency of our maul was not revealed. The complexity of our passing patterns delivered three of our tries. J10 is as emotionally involved as ever. Luke does lots of good things. Our second-rows are intelligent footballers. But.....

James Lowe is a great competitor but needs to re-construct his kicking technique. Hugo Keenan was my MOTM and is close to flawless. Jimmy O'Brien has become a very competent winger. Henshaw and Ringrose are both off the boil and have another gear or two when they click. Our front row can play within themselves and our flankers are both of a standard that sets them apart, regardless of the opposition.

A routine win in an unusual match that could have slipped from our grasp. We got frustrated by refereeing decisions and lost our shape for 25 minutes in which we should have closed out the entire fixture. We didn't, so we will have another tough encounter next week against a team of lesser talent, but a few stars capable of making it very messy for us.

We didn't learn much from tonight. We knew Connacht could attack and score tries if they had enough possession. We knew we could score tries if we had enough continuity in our play and didn't concede too many penalties. We may have under-rated Porch, but they over-rated O'Halloran.
Chapter two will be interesting to see how much more we can reveal.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dexter wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:43 pm
Like I said repeatedly, he instinctively turns his shoulder to protect himself. That's how, ok?
Wasn’t having a go, was genuinely asking.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:45 pm
Dexter wrote: April 8th, 2022, 10:43 pm

Wasn’t having a go, was genuinely asking.
Ok sure, apologies for the spiky response.
Dont Panic!