Connacht v Leinster 8th April

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blue not red blood
Mullet

Connacht v Leinster 8th April

Post by Blue not red blood »

We have 2 spare Terrace tickets if anyone needs.
PM me
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht v Leinster 8th April

Post by cormac »

Karl Dickson is the ref for this game.

He's reffed us twice before, in Treviso in January 2020 and against Montpellier away in December 2020. Two wins from two.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Really the only question here is who's fit to play second row?
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

He might be a poster here, I'm not sure, but there's a prominent Leinster fan on the42 who's continually calling for Ciaran Frawley to be played at 10, and even asking for that this weekend. It seems obvious to me the Leinster management team don't see Frawley as an outhalf in the short or medium term, if at all. Imagine playing him there this week?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

His last start at 10, away to the Ospreys, was before the first lockdown in 2020, over two years ago now. I'm not even sure if he's filled in there much during games either.

Hawkshaw, a player leaving at the end of this season, was even preferred at 10 when Ross went off injured against Connacht.

If he's fit, Sexton will start at 10 this weekend. Barring any injuries I'd expect us to be a full-bore for the game on Friday.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

All looking good on the injury front anyway:

"The Leinster Rugby coaching team have released an injury update ahead of this weekend’s Heineken Champions Cup round of 16 clash with Connacht Rugby at the Sportsground (KO 8pm – LIVE on BT Sport).

All four of Andrew Porter (ankle), Rónan Kelleher (shoulder), Jordan Larmour (hip) and Michael Milne (calf) are due to step up their respective training programmes this week.

A call will be made later in the week on their availability for Friday evening.

Ross Byrne, who suffered a dental injury against Connacht just over a week ago, came through the game against Munster Rugby with no issues and will be available once again this week.

There are no further updates on:

Dave Kearney (hamstring), Will Connors (knee), James Ryan (concussion) and Ryan Baird (back)"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That’s bad news about the locks so. I don’t want to see JR back any time soon anyway but I’d have hoped for a positive update on Baird. I’m really interested to see that selection now after how Dev and Dunne went on Saturday. I’m not really sure what combination I’d go for myself.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Molony/McCarthy for me.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

I'd be very surprised if Molony doesn't start. Wouldn't want to bet which one of McCarthy, Toner, Dunne or Murphy packs down alongside him.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Will be interesting to see the training photos later if Kelleher, Porter and Larmour are avail.

Having the first two in particular would be a good boost.

No mention of Robbie in that which could mean anything.

I'd start Molony/McCarthy also but wouldn't be surprised if they went for Josh Murphy either.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

cormac wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:14 pm His last start at 10, away to the Ospreys, was before the first lockdown in 2020, over two years ago now. I'm not even sure if he's filled in there much during games either.

Hawkshaw, a player leaving at the end of this season, was even preferred at 10 when Ross went off injured against Connacht.

If he's fit, Sexton will start at 10 this weekend. Barring any injuries I'd expect us to be a full-bore for the game on Friday.
That's possibly a bit harsh on Frawley who was already off for a HIA when Ross got injured so couldn't have been moved to 10. When he came back on in the second half it was a choice between taking off Hawkshaw and moving Frawley to 10 or taking off a kid who was 10 minutes into his debut and leaving Frawley at 12.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Xanthippe wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:01 pm
cormac wrote: April 4th, 2022, 1:14 pm His last start at 10, away to the Ospreys, was before the first lockdown in 2020, over two years ago now. I'm not even sure if he's filled in there much during games either.

That's possibly a bit harsh on Frawley who was already off for a HIA when Ross got injured so couldn't have been moved to 10. When he came back on in the second half it was a choice between taking off Hawkshaw and moving Frawley to 10 or taking off a kid who was 10 minutes into his debut and leaving Frawley at 12.
They could have easily re-organised at half-time had they wished to do so. Hawkshaw had only been on for a few minutes before half-time.

I just think the coaches don't seem to want to play Frawley at 10 anymore.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Porter & Kelleher both togged and running around FWIW - https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775796538/
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:04 pm

They could have easily re-organised at half-time had they wished to do so. Hawkshaw had only been on for a few minutes before half-time.

It's hard to question when we win pretty much every game with a Bonus Point but I think they might have got it wrong with Frawley. The kid is the real deal in my view, he reminds me of a kicking Paul Dean!

Also from an Ireland point of view, if they aren't going to pick Ross we need a developing 10.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Harry Byrne is alive

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Flash Gordon wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:26 pm

It's hard to question when we win pretty much every game with a Bonus Point but I think they might have got it wrong with Frawley. The kid is the real deal in my view, he reminds me of a kicking Paul Dean!

Also from an Ireland point of view, if they aren't going to pick Ross we need a developing 10.
From an Ireland point of view can they continue to ignore Ross? He's in the form of his life and Joey remains what LeoCaster believed him to be 6 years ago, a full-back
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Based on those training photos, we could be looking at:

Healy, Sheehan, Furlong, McCarthy, Molony, Doris, VDF, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Frawley, Ringer, JOB, Keenan

Kelleher, Porter, Mike, Murphy, Rhys, McGrath, Ross, Deegan/ROL
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Frawley has been picked 13 times this season, starting 10 games and broke into the Irish squad. He would have played more but for injury.

The move to 12 has been very successful for him. And might be about to become more so. A 24 year old 12 fills a nice gap in the long term Irish squad age profile.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

RoboProp wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:47 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: April 4th, 2022, 3:26 pm

From an Ireland point of view can they continue to ignore Ross? He's in the form of his life and Joey remains what LeoCaster believed him to be 6 years ago, a full-back
He can keep his job if he loses with Carbery. Risk it to win with Byrne.

Dropping Ireland's greatest scrum half of the pro era (by a distance) fresh from being a test Lion (& close to captain) was small compared to being the guy who drops a fit Carbery.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

https://www.the42.ie/johann-van-graan-4 ... 4-Apr2022/

Article here that gets the 2 legged thing a little bit off. Sure it's 1 160 minute game and keeping down the score is valuable. But you play the end of the first leg like halftime of a normal game. You play the situation rather than worry about losing bonuses etc and consolations matter.