Connacht v Leinster 8th April

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Connacht v Leinster 8th April

Post by desperado »

wixfjord wrote: April 7th, 2022, 12:47 pm Connacht have chosen Thornbury, Fifita and Papali'i over Murray, Dillane and Boyle. A case of trying to load the pack with as many big bodies as possible?
What's Fifita like at lineout time? Thornbury is only coming back but was an excellent lineout operator.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: April 7th, 2022, 12:43 pm The selection of Luke in my mind is about three things

- we're probably looking to play a tighter more forward dominated game and he's better than JGP at helping forwards generated momentum in tight carrying. We've basically got four quality backrow carriers and Molony in our back 5 along with three strong carriers in the front row.

- he's a better defender (both tackling and positionally) than JGP and will be better at sweeping those chip kicks behind the line, which is a tactic Carty does a lot.

- his rucking is excellent and if we're trying to control possession and squeeze Connacht he'll allow us to hold the ball better than JGP.

I just hope his passing and kicking stand up.

On form it's not the right call, but form isn't the man determinant of selection.
I would add to that that JGP has a lot of rugby behind him in the last few months, and will have plenty more in the coming few.
And that we don't necessarily need to build a score this week and so, if you have to pick one game, next week is the week to start him.

I think I have been one of the longest-standing JGP backers on here, when many were slagging him off.
But I'm also a McGrath backer. He is the best in Ireland at parts of the game. I hope he can rediscover his mojo from a couple of seasons ago.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Twist wrote: April 7th, 2022, 12:34 pm I thought for sure either Jack Dunne or Joe McCarthy would be in the 23. Those two back rows are going to have a really good battle. I think the gap there isn’t as big as is generally assumed
I would expect to see McCarthy on the bench next weekend.
That is the path they use for players. Lancaster has openly discussed it.
First test: bench in the URC. Second test: start in the URC (preferably home). Next test is bench at home in Europe.
They may not always stick to that but they have openly admitted it's the model.

I would be very surprised to see Dunne involved in Europe this season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:01 pm It’s so strange that you have a go at people for being dubious about Jenkins or not rating a referee but then stick the boot into Luke at every single opportunity and have been pretty snide about it at times.
What has that got to do with the price of cabbages?

I know you're a Luke fan and will defend him to the hilt, personally I think he clearly has some glaring issues in his game.

You can not like me calling it out, but where have I been 'snide'?

In your blindness to defend, you've also ignored there that I wrote a post under an hour ago about why Luke is starting and the good parts to his game.
Last edited by wixfjord on April 7th, 2022, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

McCarthy is young, there was no sign of him in training pics so may be taking a break so not to overload him.
Ruddock too has been absent for pics.

we all know the injury report cant be trusted so could be injuries there too.
Colmodon
Knowledgeable

Post by Colmodon »

curates_egg wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:15 pm
Twist wrote: April 7th, 2022, 12:34 pm I thought for sure either Jack Dunne or Joe McCarthy would be in the 23. Those two back rows are going to have a really good battle. I think the gap there isn’t as big as is generally assumed
First test: bench in the URC. Second test: start in the URC (preferably home). Next test is bench at home in Europe.

I suppose that's been the interesting thing about McCarthy's start is that, rather than being a slow burner they've backed him. I think he has 4 or 5 apps and has played 80 minutes each time if I'm not mistaken. I think it's more likely he's nursing something.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Colmodon wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:27 pm

I suppose that's been the interesting thing about McCarthy's start is that, rather than being a slow burner they've backed him. I think he has 4 or 5 apps and has played 80 minutes each time if I'm not mistaken. I think it's more likely he's nursing something.
he played 80 in all his games bar the last one.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Colmodon wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:27 pm

I didn't realise it was that stark for him, but is that not at least as much because we were so short there?

As mildly says, even if he's not injured, maybe he needs a break?

If not, I would think a home last 16 game off the bench would be a perfect introduction to Europe, rather than playing in an abrasive away game in Galway for the second time in as many weeks.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Next week's selection may become fluid depending on tomorrow's score.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

desperado wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 7th, 2022, 12:58 pm
desperado wrote: April 7th, 2022, 12:56 pm

There seems to be a general Luke bashing on this forum which I think is a bit OTT. Generally starts with his pass quality. He's miles ahead of McCarthy, who has shown nothing on his return. On top of which; I'd value the views of several current pundits/ex players who rate him.
Call it what you want, but Luke has a really poor pass for a pro 9 at this level and that has caused us issues over the years.

Great rugby player and leader, not great at the nuts and bolts of 9 play.
we'll agree to disagree. My opinion is he doesn't have 'a really poor pass for a pro 9 at this level.
I genuinely don't know many of even his most ardent supporters who wouldn't acknowledge that it is his passing that lets him down. The rest of his game is serviceable to good.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

This is really classic home/away selection from the Schmidt era, isn't it? Boss vs. Reddan stuff. Damien Brown, where are ya pal?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Luke is an excellent 9.
But his pass does tend to go a bit astray a little too often.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

wixfjord wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:22 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:01 pm It’s so strange that you have a go at people for being dubious about Jenkins or not rating a referee but then stick the boot into Luke at every single opportunity and have been pretty snide about it at times.

I know you're a Luke fan and will defend him to the hilt, personally I think he clearly has some glaring issues in his game.

In your blindness to defend, you've also ignored there that I wrote a post under an hour ago about why Luke is starting and the good parts to his game.
It's hypocrtical, that's why it's relevant, it can't be one rule for you and another for everyone else.

Two very frustrating comments about "defending him to the hilt" and my "blindness to defend" there. I have criticised him loads, admitted he was in poor form for the last few months (which I can't imagine you're unaware of considering how much we're both on here), and I also said I'd have started JGP tomorrow. I also think he has issues in his game, and again you should be aware of this so don't act like I think he's god's gift.

There was one comment in particular a few weeks back that I thought was snide but I let it go. It was "if he could kick and pass he'd be some scrumhalf". It's not that I don't think you should criticise him or that he doesn't deserve it, it's the relentless and harsh nature of it that I find OTT and is what drives me to defend him a lot of the time, and yes I did ignore the reasons you outlined for his selection because it paled in comparison to all the times you stick the boot in.

Here's a selection of some of the criticism I think is harsh, there are loads more comments about him but these are the ones, not just in isolation but combined, that I think pushes the criticism beyond acceptable.

And then Luke follows it up with that shite.

Ah Luke that is f%~king disgraceful.

Luke McGrath's ability to throw a loopy pass to he shoulder of a waiting forward is unparalleled.

WTF are you at Luke?

While Luke was poor in a big game (again)

f%~king stupid Luke. What the hell are you at taking a quick tap there?

McGrath & Byrne look like they're playing at half speed at times. Mix of poor passing and standing too deep with no pace (as usual for both).

McGrath not able to play a game of this magnitude

Like, everyone knows you think he's terrible We have a small community on here so I'm sure everyone is aware of it at this stage and constantly sticking the boot in just isn't fair or necessary IMO. Again, that doesn't mean you can't point out his mistakes or concerns you have, but it doesn't have to be constant and the tone doesn't need to be as harsh as the above comments.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Degz wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:44 pm This is really classic home/away selection from the Schmidt era, isn't it? Boss vs. Reddan stuff. Damien Brown, where are ya pal?
Very true.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

So for the first time in their professional history Leinster are playing in a fixture with 'leg' in the title.

In their increasingly desperate attempts to not be the financial basket cases that most of them are, the English and French clubs have come up with new formats for the European tournament. Originally two-legged quarter-finals were meant to come last season, but after Covid disruption they were scrapped for a straight single game knock-out round of sixteen instead. This season they were determined to give them a try to guarantee at least one home gate for 16 of the 24 participating clubs.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 7th, 2022, 2:19 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:22 pm

It's hypocrtical, that's why it's relevant, it can't be one rule for you and another for everyone else.

Two very frustrating comments about "defending him to the hilt" and my "blindness to defend" there. I have criticised him loads, admitted he was in poor form for the last few months (which I can't imagine you're unaware of considering how much we're both on here), and I also said I'd have started JGP tomorrow. I also think he has issues in his game, and again you should be aware of this so don't act like I think he's god's gift.

There was one comment in particular a few weeks back that I thought was snide but I let it go. It was "if he could kick and pass he'd be some scrumhalf". It's not that I don't think you should criticise him or that he doesn't deserve it, it's the relentless and harsh nature of it that I find OTT and is what drives me to defend him a lot of the time, and yes I did ignore the reasons you outlined for his selection because it paled in comparison to all the times you stick the boot in.

Here's a selection of some of the criticism I think is harsh, there are loads more comments about him but these are the ones, not just in isolation but combined, that I think pushes the criticism beyond acceptable.

And then Luke follows it up with that shite.

Ah Luke that is f%~king disgraceful.

Luke McGrath's ability to throw a loopy pass to he shoulder of a waiting forward is unparalleled.

WTF are you at Luke?

While Luke was poor in a big game (again)

f%~king stupid Luke. What the hell are you at taking a quick tap there?

McGrath & Byrne look like they're playing at half speed at times. Mix of poor passing and standing too deep with no pace (as usual for both).

McGrath not able to play a game of this magnitude

Like, everyone knows you think he's terrible We have a small community on here so I'm sure everyone is aware of it at this stage and constantly sticking the boot in just isn't fair or necessary IMO. Again, that doesn't mean you can't point out his mistakes or concerns you have, but it doesn't have to be constant and the tone doesn't need to be as harsh as the above comments.
Why exactly is it hypocritical for me to say Luke is a bad passer and say people shouldn't judge Jenkins having not seen him play?

You've just cherrypicked a load of random comments of me having issue with McGrath for making errors and ignored anything positive I've said about him. Biased much?

Like I didn't just say those things out of nowhere. He makes lots of big errors and it's frustrating to watch. If he wasn't making those errors, then I wouldn't be commenting on them!

You've accused me of this before with Baird for some reason.

Luke has significant gaps in his game that he hasn't managed to address which hold both him and the team back. That's a problem. If he was better at those then he'd be a great scrumhalf. Do you disagree with that?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm not going to keep going here, I think I've made my point pretty clear in the post.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 7th, 2022, 2:19 pm

You've just admitted you've done exactly that the opposite way around ironically.

Choosing to ignore anything positive I've said and taking offence at the bad stuff.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 7th, 2022, 2:31 pm I'm not going to keep going here, I think I've made my point pretty clear in the post.
Simple question, why is 'if he could kick and pass he'd be some scrumhalf' a 'snide' remark?

Clearly you're aware they are the two big problems in his game and he's good to excellent at most of the other parts.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
desperado wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:01 pm
+1. Thought Dunne was excellent v Munster; and Joe has had several good outings. The Josh M selection is puzzling. Maybe he's ripping it up in training; or the Molony/Murphy combo is delivering specifically in the tight.
Wouldn’t be surprised if McCarthy was pencilled in to bench but then Dev overtook him with his performance last week. I do expect to see one of them next week.

I’ve been underwhelmed by Dunne at times but I keep thinking of how hard he worked to get to that breakdown where Coombes got injured and that, combined with his size, is exactly the kind of thing that we needed in some of the big games we lost in recent years.
Dev selected for the 80th minute conversion

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk