A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster v Leinster URC Sat 2nd 7pm RTE

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:36 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:12 pm

I very much doubt he's being punished for his performance against Connacht, yellow card or otherwise. He's just not better than the other options yet and since we've gone for a forward heavy split on the bench he doesn't make that since he can't play outhalf/kick.

Plenty of time for the kid to make his mark.
I don’t really get your point about not being better than the other options, it’s not like any back has really been picked ahead of him.

Given that Osbourne misses out as well I’m guessing the starting point was that we wanted 6 forwards rather than just not wanting either of them playing.

It would have been a nice game to see Harry in as well, I’m guessing he’ll have to wait until SA now.
He plays wing or 13, Lowe, O'Brien and Ringrose have been picked ahead of him is what I mean. So the point I was trying to make was that they are better than him currently. AS I said, given the split on the bench there were only 2 spots for backs so you have to pick a SH and and OH who can kick so the bench selection takes care of itself unless Harry Byrne comes into play.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flash Gordon wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:51 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:36 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: April 1st, 2022, 1:12 pm

I very much doubt he's being punished for his performance against Connacht, yellow card or otherwise. He's just not better than the other options yet and since we've gone for a forward heavy split on the bench he doesn't make that since he can't play outhalf/kick.

Plenty of time for the kid to make his mark.
I don’t really get your point about not being better than the other options, it’s not like any back has really been picked ahead of him.

Given that Osbourne misses out as well I’m guessing the starting point was that we wanted 6 forwards rather than just not wanting either of them playing.

It would have been a nice game to see Harry in as well, I’m guessing he’ll have to wait until SA now.
He plays wing or 13, Lowe, O'Brien and Ringrose have been picked ahead of him is what I mean. So the point I was trying to make was that they are better than him currently. AS I said, given the split on the bench there were only 2 spots for backs so you have to pick a SH and and OH who can kick so the bench selection takes care of itself unless Harry Byrne comes into play.
Oh I see the “confusion” now, I was only talking about the bench when I said about him being involved, wouldn’t have expected/wanted him to start.

I had also mentioned the split being a possible factor in my original post btw, you seemed to not realise which is why I mentioned it again.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: April 1st, 2022, 12:31 pm Jeez that's a much stronger side than expected.

Starting front 5 is a bit meh alright. A shame McCarthy doesn't get a start. Is he injured?

That's a great bench to be bringing in though. I wonder do Leo/Stu expect the first 55 to be tight and cagey then unleash guys. It's similar to how we would've won last time in Thomond with Larmour's try.

Very interested to see how Jenkins goes.

Munster back three is pretty poor, bench looks good too though.
I'd say that they're just giving him a week off in the likelihood that he will be selected in three matches in a row for us over the next couple of weeks [Connact/A, Connacht/H, Munster/H].

I think that that's the reason Ross Molony is on the bench as well. He has averaged 77mins/start for us this season [13+2]. If he is on the sub end of a 55/25 split, it's a 67%-ish reduction in his minutes on the pitch compared to a start, which is a big energy saving.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote: April 1st, 2022, 2:07 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 1st, 2022, 12:31 pm Jeez that's a much stronger side than expected.

Starting front 5 is a bit meh alright. A shame McCarthy doesn't get a start. Is he injured?

That's a great bench to be bringing in though. I wonder do Leo/Stu expect the first 55 to be tight and cagey then unleash guys. It's similar to how we would've won last time in Thomond with Larmour's try.

I'd say that they're just giving him a week off in the likelihood that he will be selected in three matches in a row for us over the next couple of weeks [Connact/A, Connacht/H, Munster/H].

I think that that's the reason Ross Molony is on the bench as well. He has averaged 77mins/start for us this season [13+2]. If he is on the sub end of a 55/25 split, it's a 67%-ish reduction in his minutes on the pitch compared to a start, which is a big energy saving.
That makes sense alright. It looks like a 'risk free' second row selection. Wouldn't be my choice but obviously with the next few weeks in mind.

Am interested to see what we do if Ryan and Baird aren't fit next week. Molony clearly starts but do you go with Murphy or McCarthy to partner? I'd back Joe tbh.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Them's good sums hugo! You sound like one of them guys trying to get me to change my utility bills :lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I am very fearful of the selected Leinster team.
Especially when you see what is on the benches for both teams.

Munster have started slow in a fair few games to date, and the only way I can see a Munster win is if they come out of the blocks at speed.

The loss of Earls, Zebo, Conway and Haley in the back 3 along with Killer and JOD definitely weakens the Munster team.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

So it's not often that you have to wait until April for the first Leinster v Munster game of the season.

This fixture was meant to take place last Christmas but Covid forced it off. Then an Ed Sheeran concert in May meant that this date, which was originally meant for the game at the Aviva, was switched to Thomond. But we're here eventually and it will be interesting to see how the sides match up.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 1st, 2022, 2:21 pm

Them's good sums hugo! You sound like one of them guys trying to get me to change my utility bills :lol:
Nobody is offering you a saving like that these days, unfortunately!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Is that the heaviest second row Leinster have fielded? Definitely a real Top 14 vibe about it.

Am I reading it wrong or is Wycherly playing TH lock instead of Jenkins? Would seem odd the guy with 4" less and several times that fewer kgs would play there unless he's got Thorn's freakish scrum output for a not huge guy.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

James Lowe
“As much as the friendships that we have created over the last 10 weeks in (Ireland) camp, those are put at the door and it’s about being ready to rumble. Everyone is feeling the same but as soon as you put on a different colour jumper you want to kick the bollix out of each other. Come Saturday, hopefully we kick them more than they kick us.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4841102

Gawd I love this man.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Given Munster have Cloete, POM and Coombes, as well as two hybrid sixes in the second row, breakdown will obviously be critical for us.

Slight worry is the lack of pace and dynamism in second row to stop them getting over the ball. Backrow and Henshaw in particular will be important here.

If we can manage to do that and get parity in scrum & lineout then I think our backline looks far more likely to cause problems.

Scrum wise, we should have a weight advantage so will be interesting to see how this plays out. Big Mike's form has dipped a bit and I'd like to see him go after Loughman given he'll have F. Wycherly and Cloete behind him at times.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Weird reffing so far. We look offside in defence, Munster side entering at almost every breakdown
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Our poor kicking is putting us under pressure
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Gifting them four penalties right in front of the posts isn’t ideal. We’re looking pretty good overall.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Great scrum
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

We've certainly handed them everything so far. Much better 2nd half needed
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Score?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Munster 12 Leinster 14 HT
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We’ve looked the better side, certainly in attack.

Our scrum and lineout have both been solid and some of the attacking moves causing havoc for Munster.

Stupid pens in our half have cost us.

I think with the bench to come on and with Coombes off we should have enough to win this if we can tighten up on pens.

That last scrum and turnover was class.

IVDF and Doris clearly the best backrows on the pitch so far.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Ross outplaying Joey. Good match all the same