The Quickening 2022

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: The Quickening 2022

Post by curates_egg »

I was worried about us selecting a very strong squad for the Thomond game, due to the injury risk. But to get five points down there (when I was expecting one) has put 'the quickening' in a totally different perspective. And, as far as I can tell, Henshaw is the only doubt after it.

I don't know what they will choose to do, but the trip to South Africa is a free play. If we even get two losing bonus points, we don't need to get anything in our home game against Munster. I would rather we get our points by ruining Munster's season though.

I can understand your logic Hugo, but I would not bring any players that are crucial to our end of season and where we are thin.
So that means no Porter, Furlong and Ryan.
I would probably give JGP a break as well. I always backed him, but he has now become essential for us.
In the same vein, I would keep VDF, Doris, Ringrose and Lowe home.
The other internationals could play the first game and then return. Kelleher and Baird could do with game time. Henshaw and Larmour too, if fit.
We're blessed to have two excellent out halves, but I would say Ross may potentially be even more important for our end of season than Sexton.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote: April 3rd, 2022, 6:00 pm Scarlets have an outside chance of making the Top 8. Four of their five games left are against the other Welsh sides, including a double header against the Dragons. Whether they're good enough to take advantage of that is up for debate, but they made short shrift of Cardiff last night despite having a player sent off early in the second half.
I reckon you are right. They have an "Outside" chance of making the top 8.

Their fixtures are.... Cardiff, (A) Dragons, Dragons, (A) Ospreys, (A) Stormers.

They will need about 20 points out of that which is a tall order even if they get 10 of them from Dragons.

Their 2 fixtures in hand are being played the next 2 weekends while Europe is on.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd leave a lot of players at home from this trip to be honest. The experience could be the making of the younger crew. The disruption of a big trip like this is huge and we can afford to be risk averse.

I'd bring something along the lines of
FRONT ROW: Ed Byrne, Dooley, Alaalatoa, Abdaladze, Clarkson, Tracey, Cronin
LOCKS: Ross Molony, Ryan Baird, Joe McCarthy, Jack Dunne
BACK ROW: Ruddock, Deegan, Penny, Martin Moloney, Dan Leavy (hopefully)
HALF BACKS: Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne, Luke McGrath, Nick McCarthy
CENTER: Osbourne, Frawley, Conor O'Brien
BACK THREE: Tommy O'Brien, Jimmy O'Brien, Jordan Larmour, Rory O'Loughlin, Max O'Reilly
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote: April 4th, 2022, 8:10 am I was worried about us selecting a very strong squad for the Thomond game, due to the injury risk. But to get five points down there (when I was expecting one) has put 'the quickening' in a totally different perspective. And, as far as I can tell, Henshaw is the only doubt after it.

I don't know what they will choose to do, but the trip to South Africa is a free play. If we even get two losing bonus points, we don't need to get anything in our home game against Munster. I would rather we get our points by ruining Munster's season though.

I can understand your logic Hugo, but I would not bring any players that are crucial to our end of season and where we are thin.
So that means no Porter, Furlong and Ryan.
I would probably give JGP a break as well. I always backed him, but he has now become essential for us.
In the same vein, I would keep VDF, Doris, Ringrose and Lowe home.
The other internationals could play the first game and then return. Kelleher and Baird could do with game time. Henshaw and Larmour too, if fit.
We're blessed to have two excellent out halves, but I would say Ross may potentially be even more important for our end of season than Sexton.
Anybody who regularly , or previously, travels intercontinental routes will understand that it is not purely playing in temperature +15-20 C warmer than here (and sometimes at altitude) but it is the total disruption of 16-18 hours travel time that causes mayhem, sometimes for a couple of weeks.

Prior to Munster game and result, I assumed we would take a strong Squad to SA to stamp some authority and instill a bit of respect for the way we play the game, prior to the play-offs. Now, however, I'm in @hugonaut's camp and think we'll keep all our front-liners here preparing for EPCR q/f without any distraction, particularly our front-five.

After Leicester v Clermont (X 2), they have the following fixtures:

Leicester: Quins (A); Bristol (H)
Clermont: Castres (A); S Francais (H)

Not too much rest in those fixtures as games are important for all parties. Clermont, in particular, are 5 points adrift of 3rd place in eight place and outside of play-off places. A win against Castres would be huge for them. Leicester, on the other hand, are strolling through the Prem but will not want to drop points to Quins who lie in 3rd place.

Keep the front-liners at home and beast them for a week on the scrumming platform, with McBride in attendance. Leo & Leamy can oversee the travelling forwards group in SA.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ah Yeah. It's a risk we don't need to take tbh. Possibly go with the bare minimum plus a few who may need gametime.

Probably get slaughtered. :D But you never know. 2 points would be a decent result with a threadbare squad
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Along with bringing back some of the returning injured, giving the likes of Milne, Clarkson, Vakh, McCarthy time against big SA packs would be a smart move imo.

Likewise putting guys like Harry & Osborne into that situation could be the making of them.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: April 4th, 2022, 5:50 pm Along with bringing back some of the returning injured, giving the likes of Milne, Clarkson, Vakh, McCarthy time against big SA packs would be a smart move imo.

Likewise putting guys like Harry & Osborne into that situation could be the making of them.
+1
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote: April 4th, 2022, 2:13 pm I'd leave a lot of players at home from this trip to be honest. The experience could be the making of the younger crew. The disruption of a big trip like this is huge and we can afford to be risk averse.

I'd bring something along the lines of
FRONT ROW: Ed Byrne, Dooley, Alaalatoa, Abdaladze, Clarkson, Tracey, Cronin
LOCKS: Ross Molony, Ryan Baird, Joe McCarthy, Jack Dunne
BACK ROW: Ruddock, Deegan, Penny, Martin Moloney, Dan Leavy (hopefully)
HALF BACKS: Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne, Luke McGrath, Nick McCarthy
CENTER: Osbourne, Frawley, Conor O'Brien
BACK THREE: Tommy O'Brien, Jimmy O'Brien, Jordan Larmour, Rory O'Loughlin, Max O'Reilly
Think RB shouldn't travel either.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

After what looked like a 3 all first half. The stormers get over for a try at the death. 10 3 at half time
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Finished 19 17 to the Stormers
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Scarlets hammered Cardiff for the second week running. They're up to 9th, six points behind the Bulls with a game in hand.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yes. What still looks like a tall order for the scarlets took a good step yesterday.

You would expect them to take 10 points in the next 2 games. Though the dragons in Dave parade can be tricky as we know only too well.

It's Ospreys away where they could come unstuck. They are bitter rivals even if nothing is riding on it.

If they get over that hurdle they will be facing the stormers in the last game who will have their own agenda. Perhaps looking to go top 4.

I'm guessing 51 or 52 points will be 8th place so they may only need a LBP in the last round if they win the rest.

Who they would potentially overtake is the interesting question.

Glasgow could lose all their games. Both Scots teams are in the challenge cup.

Cant see any of the provinces down there (even though some on here would love to see Munster) so the hindmost SA team is probably the other option. They all have 2 home games next though.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Team		Points		Wins		Max Points	Points Diff
Leinster	60		12		75		272
Ulster		50		10		65		113
Glasgow		50		9		65		87
Munster		47		9		62		165
Stormers	47		9		62		116
Sharks		46		9		61		123
Embra		44		8		59		89
Bulls		43		8		58		94

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I still think Scarlets are looking more at Ospreys 7 points down (and still to play) than Edinburgh 7 points up, even with a game in hand.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Team			R16		R17		R18
Leinster                Sharks		Stormers	Munster
Ulster		        Munster		Embra		Sharks
Munster	   	        Ulster		Cardiff		Leinster

Glasgow 		Stormers 	Bulls		Embra
Embra	    		Zebre		Ulster		Glasgow

Sharks		        Leinster	Connacht	Ulster
Stormers 	        Glasgow 	Leinster	Scarlets
Bulls                   Treviso		Glasgow 	Ospreys (A)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote: April 10th, 2022, 10:11 am I still think Scarlets are looking more at Ospreys 7 points down (and still to play) than Edinburgh 7 points up, even with a game in hand.
Embra have zebre up next so they should be heading up another 5 points. All their remaining fixtures are at home too.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Leinster in SA could have big impact on the final 8 qualifiers.
Two away wins could upset a few applecarts.
The SA teams are by no means invincible.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Scarlets have lost at home to the Dragons, only picked up a 4 try bonus point. Now five points off the playoffs
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Scarlets go down in flames at home to dragons. They got 4 trys but no LBP. Their outside chance has become mathematical
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Ha. I was too slow