The Quickening 2022

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The Quickening 2022

Post by ronk »

We're the last kickoff for the last game. So we have room to wiggle if we need points or just want to push Munster down.

The Munster Ulster one will say a lot and we'll know that result before we play this weekend. Same with Glasgow Stormers.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Ideally we loose to both sharks and stormers but get a lbp and tbp in both games allowing them to overtake Munster while still giving us wiggle room at the top!
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'll be hoping for a Munster win with no bps or even better a draw this weekend.

Not sure why we would want South African teams doing well. :?

Or a Leinster loss for that matter. Beating the sharks would be excellent.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

johng wrote: April 20th, 2022, 7:09 am I'll be hoping for a Munster win with no bps or even better a draw this weekend.

Because if you're like me, Munster losing is as sweet as Leinster winning
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Leo taking a more outspoken stance than usual re: the still-undisclosed [or unknown?] location of the URC final:
https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-c ... l-rumours/

I think that there is a significant push to have it played in South Africa. Maybe that works out okay if there's a South African team in the final, but there's not even a South African team in the top four after 15 rounds.

My feeling is that the URC has been blessed with its two 'location' finals to date – Dublin in 2018 and Glasgow in 2019. Both have featured home finalists. Once they get a final that doesn't feature a home finalist, they're going to a] look small-time and b] lose a lot of money.

Let's say you take the current top two teams [Leinster and Ulster] and put them in a final in Durban. How many fans are going to travel to that? A thousand? Even writing it now, a thousand seems like a lot on a week's notice. What's the plan for the rest of the stadium? Sell tickets to South Africans for a fiver and hope fifty thousand of them are interested? Doesn't seem like a business model, it seems nuts. What happens if you end up playing a final in front of 7000 people?

It's not England or France, where all you have to do is hop in a car or a coach or a train to get to a game – the URC has teams from five different countries and two continents. The majority of away games are a flight/ferry + travel to and from airport/terminal + travel to and from stadia + accommodation + food & drink.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote: April 20th, 2022, 11:21 am Leo taking a more outspoken stance than usual re: the still-undisclosed [or unknown?] location of the URC final:

I think that there is a significant push to have it played in South Africa. Maybe that works out okay if there's a South African team in the final, but there's not even a South African team in the top four after 15 rounds.

My feeling is that the URC has been blessed with its two 'location' finals to date – Dublin in 2018 and Glasgow in 2019. Both have featured home finalists. Once they get a final that doesn't feature a home finalist, they're going to a] look small-time and b] lose a lot of money.

Let's say you take the current top two teams [Leinster and Ulster] and put them in a final in Durban. How many fans are going to travel to that? A thousand? Even writing it now, a thousand seems like a lot on a week's notice. What's the plan for the rest of the stadium? Sell tickets to South Africans for a fiver and hope fifty thousand of them are interested? Doesn't seem like a business model, it seems nuts. What happens if you end up playing a final in front of 7000 people?

It's not England or France, where all you have to do is hop in a car or a coach or a train to get to a game – the URC has teams from five different countries and two continents. The majority of away games are a flight/ferry + travel to and from airport/terminal + travel to and from stadia + accommodation + food & drink.
Its a dilema, and not an easy one to solve. Only thing I can think of is top seed home advantage with 3 weeks to shift the tickets.
All the countries have decent stadiums to be able to nominate.

And don't for get 2017 got lucky there too, cant remember the score......
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote: April 20th, 2022, 11:21 am Leo taking a more outspoken stance than usual re: the still-undisclosed [or unknown?] location of the URC final:

There's been five "location" finals to date.

2015 - Belfast: Munster v Glasgow
2016 - Edinburgh: Leinster v Connacht
2017 - Dublin: Scarlets v Munster
2018 - Dublin: Leinster v Scarlets
2019 - Glasgow: Glasgow v Leinster

Think 2020 was scheduled to be played in Cardiff at the football stadium before Covid intervened.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Totally agree. It's EPCR level of delusional.
Dont Panic!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

For the first time in forever the location of the final means absolutely nothing to me - because of the late season start and faffing around from URC I will miss any potential quarter, semi and final. We thought we were safe booking holidays for June because 'rugby always finishes in May' - yeah right!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote: April 20th, 2022, 11:49 am

There's been five "location" finals to date.

2015 - Belfast: Munster v Glasgow
2016 - Edinburgh: Leinster v Connacht
2017 - Dublin: Scarlets v Munster
2018 - Dublin: Leinster v Scarlets
2019 - Glasgow: Glasgow v Leinster

Think 2020 was scheduled to be played in Cardiff at the football stadium before Covid intervened.
Wow. You're right of course Cormac.

I had forgotten the Connacht final in 2016 – I wasn't in the country at the time and I wouldn't have been able to go to it. There's another reason to conveniently forget it, but it escapes me.

Here's a list of the attendance percentages per final [italics donate era when league leaders held final in home ground] - attendances taken from Wikipedia.

2010 - Leinster vs Ospreys [RDS - 19,850 attendance | 18,500 capacity] - 107%
2011 - Munster vs Leinster [Thomond Park - 26,100 attendance | 25,600 capacity] - 102%
2012 - Leinster vs Ospeys [RDS - 18,500 attendance | 18,500 capacity] - 100%
2013 - Ulster vs Leinster [RDS - 19,200 attendance | 18,500 capacity] - 104%
2014 - Leinster vs Glasgow [RDS - 19,200 attendance | 18,500 capacity] - 104%

2015 - Munster vs Glasgow [Ravenhill - 17,050 attendance | capacity 18,190] - 94%
2016 - Leinster vs Connacht [Murrayfield - 34,550 attendance, capacity | capacity 67,140] - 51%
2017 - Munster vs Scarlets [Lansdowne Road - 44,550 attendance | capacity 51,700] - 86%
2018 - Leinster vs Scarlets [Lansdowne Road - 46,090 attendance | capacity 51,700] - 89%
2019 - Glasgow vs Leinster [Celtic Park - 47,130 attendance | capacity 60,410] - 78%
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Glasgow and Leinster away this weekend could help decide what hemisphere the final should be played in.
Two wins for the away team and SA participation in the SFs would be unlikely.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The highest ranked team in the URC final will host the final
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

bluemagic wrote: April 20th, 2022, 7:20 am
johng wrote: April 20th, 2022, 7:09 am I'll be hoping for a Munster win with no bps or even better a draw this weekend.

Because if you're like me, Munster losing is as sweet as Leinster winning
If they were playing us yeah but .........nah
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 21st, 2022, 1:35 pm The highest ranked team in the URC final will host the final
Because you know it makes sense.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Stormers lead Glasgow 13-7 at HT
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

cormac wrote: April 22nd, 2022, 6:20 pm Stormers lead Glasgow 13-7 at HT
Quality hasn’t been great a lot of mistakes
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

comedy kick chase from Glasgow leads to an easy try for Stormers

Stormers 18 (2T) - Glasgow 7 (1T)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

One way traffic now.

Stormers 25 (3T) Glasgow 7 (1T) 57 mins
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

FT

Stormers 32 (4T) Glasgow 7 (1T)

A poor error-strewn match punctuated by occasional moments of exciting rugby, almost all from the Stormers. Not for the first time this season Glasgow failed to show up in the second half. Crucial period of the game was between 50-60 minutes when loose kicking from Glasgow allied to sloppy kick chase allowed the Stormers in for two counter-attack tries. The decision to kick in-field was even more baffling given how poor the Stormers' lineout was.