Dev to retire

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dev to retire

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby can confirm the retirement of second row forward Devin Toner at the end of the current season.

Toner, who turns 36 in June, made his Leinster Rugby debut in January 2006 off the bench against the Border Reivers, and has since had a glittering career in the blue of Leinster and, of course, in the green of Ireland.

He won 70 caps for Ireland, won three Six Nations winners’ medals and was a member of the 2018 Grand Slam winning side.

During his time with Leinster, the Meath native has to date won four Heineken Cup titles, a Challenge Cup title and seven league titles, as well as becoming the most capped player in Leinster history.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie, Toner admitted it was not the easiest decision to make but that the time felt right.

“There is never a right time I suppose and you would love to keep playing but I feel very lucky to have had the career that I have had and I am able to leave the sport that I love and the club that I love, in good health and on my own terms.

“I have been around the club for long enough to understand that not everyone is that lucky, and I feel that the time is right now to focus on that next chapter and of course, spending more time with Mary, with Max and with Grace. They, and Mary in particular, have put their lives on hold to enable me to perform and I couldn’t have done it without them. So now it’s about them and us all enjoying more time together.”

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/appearance ... er-retire/
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Dev to retire

Post by Flash Gordon »

Broke our caps record in the most successful period in the club's history winning 4 Heineken Cup titles, a Challenge Cup title and 7 leagues. You can add 3 6 Nations and a Grand Slam, that's the measure of the man. Let's hope we can add more silverware to his incredible tally! One of our all time greats.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

What a career!
An absolutely brilliant servant to the club.
One of our all time greats is spot on.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Ah jaysus Mike McCarthy will be inconsolable

Seriously though a real favourite player of mine, often unfashionable but always ground away and worked hard and his cap total and medal tally shows the worth of the man.

Now there will be only 3 players left playing from the original HC final squad and only 2 of them at Leinster.
Last edited by FLIP on March 21st, 2022, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone But New Zealand
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Absolutely, one of our greats. He has given so much to Leinster and been such a modest, hard-working and sound guy throughout. Over the course of his career he put in an astounding amount of hard work and kept on pushing himself to make as big a contribution to the team as he could.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I doff my hat. Enjoy your retirement from rugby, Dev, you sure deserve it!!!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Thinking back to when he first broke into the scene and at the beginning there were many parts of his game that needed to come up most noticeably his positioning of the ball when he got tackled, his height at that point was being used to his disadvantage, but he was one of the hardest workers on the team and changed any weakness into an advantage to become the superb player has has been for both the blue and green jerseys he’s donned.

What a legend and another of that great team to finally call it a day. Very happy memories and sad to see him go but delighted he gets to do it on his own terms
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 21st, 2022, 10:50 am Thinking back to when he first broke into the scene and at the beginning there were many parts of his game that needed to come up most noticeably his positioning of the ball when he got tackled, his height at that point was being used to his disadvantage, but he was one of the hardest workers on the team and changed any weakness into an advantage to become the superb player has has been for both the blue and green jerseys he’s donned.

What a legend and another of that great team to finally call it a day. Very happy memories and sad to see him go but delighted he gets to do it on his own terms
I’ve very much the same thoughts. I know he had a slight physical advantage but god he had to work hard to make up for all the issues that caused and it’s easy to forget now but he copped a lot of criticism in the early days.

I’ve said this so many times on here but at the start of his career he’d have a game where his breakdown work was terrible but his carrying was good, then pitch up the next week and be brilliant at the breakdown but get thrown back when he’d carry. I think it was around 2010 that it started to come together and then he really kicked on after Thorn’s time here. From about 2013 to 2018 he was absolutely top class. It was a really strong era for second rows so he was really unlucky to miss out on a Lions spot but he was always well able for the more celebrated ones he played against and was so important in so many big wins.

His handling was very underrated as well. People talk about the difference Porter and Furlong make but Dev’s ability to play first receiver and pop it out the back was a really important part of Ireland’s success under Joe.

What a career he’s had when you see it listed out like that :happy clapper:
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Someone has bumped up Dev's height on Wiki :lol:

Best of luck Dev in your future, you will be sorely missed
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A giant of the game. So many achievements. The guy played against Borders. What a career.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 21st, 2022, 11:18 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: March 21st, 2022, 10:50 am Thinking back to when he first broke into the scene and at the beginning there were many parts of his game that needed to come up most noticeably his positioning of the ball when he got tackled, his height at that point was being used to his disadvantage, but he was one of the hardest workers on the team and changed any weakness into an advantage to become the superb player has has been for both the blue and green jerseys he’s donned.

I’ve very much the same thoughts. I know he had a slight physical advantage but god he had to work hard to make up for all the issues that caused and it’s easy to forget now but he copped a lot of criticism in the early days.

I’ve said this so many times on here but at the start of his career he’d have a game where his breakdown work was terrible but his carrying was good, then pitch up the next week and be brilliant at the breakdown but get thrown back when he’d carry. I think it was around 2010 that it started to come together and then he really kicked on after Thorn’s time here. From about 2013 to 2018 he was absolutely top class. It was a really strong era for second rows so he was really unlucky to miss out on a Lions spot but he was always well able for the more celebrated ones he played against and was so important in so many big wins.

His handling was very underrated as well. People talk about the difference Porter and Furlong make but Dev’s ability to play first receiver and pop it out the back was a really important part of Ireland’s success under Joe.

Very good combined assessment there. Only change I would make is that I think the period he was top class was from around 2012-20.
He should have been selected for the world cup. It was a mistake not to do so, particularly when Schmidt brought the bang average Kleyn instead.
It was the only time in his entire career that I can remember him 'speaking out' in a critical way.
Delighted for him he got another crack with Ireland after, and performed well.

He doesn't need any more medals, but I hope we can give him two more all the same.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Curate's Egg: "(...) He doesn't need any more medals, but I hope we can give him two more all the same."

Forward thinking! I like it!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

He'll be glad to have me stop shouting "stretch for the line" when he gets the ball on the half way line. I'm told that does get really old.

What a servant for Leinster and Ireland. Another one club double centurian. The sheer amount of first class games the man, and the amount of decoration beggar belief.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

I’ve very much the same thoughts. I know he had a slight physical advantage but god he had to work hard to make up for all the issues that caused and it’s easy to forget now but he copped a lot of criticism in the early days. :happy clapper:
Yes and no on the physical advantage. His height was helpful at lineout time but he was nearly 130kg so not always the easiest to lift. His height would more likely be a disadvantage in scrums, in the tackle and when he was hitting rucks but he worked unbelievably hard to circumnavigate all of that.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

curates_egg wrote: March 21st, 2022, 1:31 pm

Very good combined assessment there. Only change I would make is that I think the period he was top class was from around 2012-20.
He should have been selected for the world cup. It was a mistake not to do so, particularly when Schmidt brought the bang average Kleyn instead.
It was the only time in his entire career that I can remember him 'speaking out' in a critical way.
Delighted for him he got another crack with Ireland after, and performed well.

He doesn't need any more medals, but I hope we can give him two more all the same.
In fairness even when he spoke out it was well after the competition was over and he was very polite about it when others could have put the boot in. LeRoux I remember those exact games 😂. He would run up get tackled, fall like a tree just axed a mile past the game line where our cleaners couldn’t get to the ball in time and the opposition would jackal. You are right the fan base was very negative towards him at the start but it just shows the measure of the player he has become that fans home and away, would have nothing but positives about him now
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It had to come some time I suppose. But it really feels like the end of an era, a golden era in which he played a pivotal role. He got better year on year until he was a towering presence in our team.
15 winners medals, that must be some sort of record?
Hope you are as successful in the next phase of your life Devin as you have been in this one.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There was a Scarlets home game around 2013 in the RDS, think it might've been in Europe that I remember saying 'Toner will never make it', he's just too awkward and not cut out for this level.

And lo and behold he went on to be one of our most effective players in the next 7 years or so.

Was an integral part of Schmidt's Ireland too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He had to learn to play the game a little differently to get the best out of himself.

One of them being he could leave bigger gaps in the defensive line without worrying about mismatches. He was just too hard to run around. It was so much fun watching attackers finding that out.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Some man for one and a half men.

Guy was absolutely invincible as well. His availability % over his career must be one of Ireland's best. Amazing considering his position and the attritional style.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I’m not sure that absolute f%~king ledge even covers the half of how important he was to us. Good man Dev, enjoy the next challenge, whatever it may be