Connacht Vs Leinster 19.35 Sat 26th March

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Connacht Vs Leinster 19.35 Sat 26th March

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 28th, 2022, 3:22 pm
ronk wrote: March 28th, 2022, 1:57 pm It was running for 18 years and was getting long in the tooth. I think there was a feeling that something more modern was needed for the early Celtic Tiger boom.

Glenroe itself became a suburb rather than a rural area.
Yep, and with the cast pivoting younger and the area and stories becoming more suburban than rural, it was losing out to Fair City.

RTE replaced it with On Home Ground, set around a rural GAA Club and its community staring Sean McGinley, but it only lasted two series. It did however launch the careers of Amy Huberman and Dominique McElligot
I do not remember that at all. Not even a flicker of a memory. Was it any good?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Not a patch on Gleann Rua!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote: March 28th, 2022, 4:40 pm
No, not really - having ssaid that the UK/Ireland standard series length is only 7 episodes (as opposed to 22 in the US) which doesn't really allow a show/cast develop. If it isn't good straight away, it has no chance. The cast was good though, and are all constantly working on Irish, UK, US and even Canadian TV
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote: March 28th, 2022, 1:57 pm It was running for 18 years and was getting long in the tooth. I think there was a feeling that something more modern was needed for the early Celtic Tiger boom.

Jumped the shark when Miley had the tumble in the hay with the young one IIRC.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

George Burgess
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

paddyor wrote: March 29th, 2022, 5:11 pm

Couldn't top that one alright!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

paddyor wrote: March 29th, 2022, 5:11 pm

Fidelma!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Daly banned for three games, so will miss both games against us in Europe.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

cormac wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:53 am Daly banned for three games, so will miss both games against us in Europe.
apparently if he goes on some sort of Word Rugby tackling course he'll get a week off his suspension and be available for the second match
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 30th, 2022, 4:51 pm
cormac wrote: March 30th, 2022, 11:53 am Daly banned for three games, so will miss both games against us in Europe.
apparently if he goes on some sort of Word Rugby tackling course he'll get a week off his suspension and be available for the second match
That’s a joke, he doesn’t need a course to know not to lose his rag and take the head off someone.

By all means make these courses mandatory for ALL players or offer mitigation for genuine mistakes when someone just misjudges something slightly, but don’t encourage people to make dirty hits like that knowing they’ll have the chance to reduce their ban with this garbage.

It’s the same reason I like the idea of 20 minute red cards for unlucky incidents but not when it comes to something really bad or intentional.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

That's so GAA
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

hugonaut wrote: March 28th, 2022, 4:40 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: March 28th, 2022, 3:22 pm

Yep, and with the cast pivoting younger and the area and stories becoming more suburban than rural, it was losing out to Fair City.

RTE replaced it with On Home Ground, set around a rural GAA Club and its community staring Sean McGinley, but it only lasted two series. It did however launch the careers of Amy Huberman and Dominique McElligot
No. It repeatedly mentioned the 1998 All Ireland football final - nature's cruelest mistake.

Apparently some pr!*k from Kildoran togged out for bloody Galway against his home county. I dunno why they let him back in the parish.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 30th, 2022, 5:04 pm
That’s a joke, he doesn’t need a course to know not to lose his rag and take the head off someone.

By all means make these courses mandatory for ALL players or offer mitigation for genuine mistakes when someone just misjudges something slightly, but don’t encourage people to make dirty hits like that knowing they’ll have the chance to reduce their ban with this garbage.

It’s the same reason I like the idea of 20 minute red cards for unlucky incidents but not when it comes to something really bad or intentional.
It's a joke they first did, that I heard, on Ewels after he took out Ryan with a head shot. In that case he'd been sent out to tackle high by Jones so surely the English management should have had to sit through the course? In this one it looks like the teams were a bit hyped up with the European fixtures coming up and not wanting to take a step back. I don't think tackle technique had much to do with it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The NFL go for fines first and suspensions 2nd for illegal hits to the head.

It emphasises that it's a personal punishment not a team punishment.

I don't mind that they get a week less for doing a training course, even though they clearly knew how to tackle lower. It's that the starting point was too low.