Connacht Vs Leinster 19.35 Sat 26th March

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

outcast eddie
Mullet

Connacht Vs Leinster 19.35 Sat 26th March

Post by outcast eddie »

Game face on folks, there's a match this week and it's the first of our Connacht triple whammy's.

Why in the name of Jaysiz are so many Irish games scheduled late?

I'm 3 hours ahead and kick off for me is 23.35 with work on Sunday morning. Boo!
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Connacht Vs Leinster 19.35 Sat 26th March

Post by wixfjord »

Should be an interesting one this. I assume both sides will be without their Ireland starters so could be a bit of a 'phony war' element.

Still vital for us to pick up a win.

Injuries pending, I'd go with:

Dooley, Cronin, Mike, Molony, McCarthy, Ruddock, Leavy, Deegan, Luke, Ross, DK, Harry/Frawley/ROL, Osborne, TOB, JOB

Tracy, Byrne, Clarkson, Dev/Murphy, Penny, McCarthy, Harry/Frawley/ROL, A Byrne

Unlikely Harry/Frawley will be fit, would be a big boost if they were though.

I wonder is there anyone else in Ireland camp who we'll get back? Henshaw hasn't played a lot so might be one, and would give our backline a very different look.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

I’d have penny in for leavy
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote: March 21st, 2022, 10:52 am I’d have penny in for leavy
I think Scott been quieter for last few games and Dan needs a start at some stage.

But not a bad choice to have!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Wouldn't think we'd have Henshaw against Connacht
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:08 pm Wouldn't think we'd have Henshaw against Connacht
Are we even allowed? Thought there was some kind of gentleman's agreement against it, when he moved ó Gaillimh go mBaile Átha Cliath. :wink:
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

riocard911 wrote: March 21st, 2022, 1:45 pm
ronk wrote: March 21st, 2022, 12:08 pm Wouldn't think we'd have Henshaw against Connacht
Are we even allowed? Thought there was some kind of gentleman's agreement against it, when he moved ó Gaillimh go mBaile Átha Cliath. :wink:
Indeed, and lasted until the reverse fixture at the RDS this season.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

He played against them earlier this season
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinster Rugby head coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of the URC clash with Connacht at The Sportsground on Saturday evening (KO 7.35pm – LIVE on RTE, Premier Sports and URC TV).

After missing the game against Ulster, Harry Byrne is due to train this week after recovering from a rib injury.

There’s also positive news for Ciarán Frawley who returns to training this week following a facial injury. His availability for this weekend is subject to further assessment throughout the week.

There are no further updates on:

Andrew Porter (ankle), Jordan Larmour (hip), Will Connors (knee), James Ryan (concussion), Ryan Baird (back), Rónan Kelleher (shoulder), Conor O’Brien (hamstring) and Michael Milne (calf)
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

That sounds like Harry is a maybe and Frawley is a week too soon?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Harry is training today anyway and if Frawley is too then both should be avail for selection.

That's a big boost to have both.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Frawley training today too.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

In that case, we would see something like:

Dooley, Cronin, Mike, Molony, McCarthy, Ruddock, Leavy, Deegan, Luke, Ross, DK, Frawley, Osborne, TOB, JOB

Tracy, Byrne, Clarkson, Dev/Murphy, Penny, McCarthy, Harry, ROL

That's a solid looking side for a trip west.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Jimmy O'Brien involved in training too, although with some fairly hefty strapping on one of his legs.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

No sign of Dave.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

We need to win this one. Will be interesting to see when and how the Ireland players are incorporated back into the side. I suspect not many this week.
Injuries are a concern also; I just hope Porter and Kelleher make it back for H Cup quarter final, Ryan will need time, unsure as to where Baird and Larmour are.
It would be great to have Harry and/or Frawley back; I think if we had that second playmaker in Ulster we would have won that match.
Will be interesting to see what type of sides are picked
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-leinster- ... 1-Mar2022/
CONNACHT WILL BE without Ireland internationals Bundee Aki, Mack Hansen, and Finlay Bealham for Saturday’s United Rugby Championship clash with Leinster in Galway, with all three players on a down week after their Six Nations involvement.

However, head coach Andy Friend has been able to welcome back Jack Carty and Dave Heffernan from Ireland camp ahead of the inter-provincial clash, the first of three meetings between the Connacht and Leinster over the next four weekends.

The return of hooker Heffernan is particularly timely, given that Connacht have also confirmed that Shane Delahunt’s season is over.

Delahunt has undergone surgery on the hamstring injury he sustained in the defeat to Edinburgh three weekends ago. With Dylan Tierney-Martin still on his way back from injury, Connacht are left with two fit senior hookers in Heffernan and Jonny Murphy.

The westerners will also be without wing Alex Wootton for this weekend’s clash with Leinster due to a foot injury he suffered against Edinburgh, but there is hope that the 27-year-old will return for the back-to-back Champions Cup round-of-16 clashes with Leinster next month.

Samoan prop Tietie Tuimauga is another player who has been ruled out of this weekend’s tie, having picked up a low-grade calf issue, but he is expected to be back in training next week.

There was better news for Connacht with second row Gavin Thornbury’s return to full training after recovering from a long-term shoulder injury.

The 28-year-old lock hasn’t featured this season at all due to that shoulder issue but is now set to make his comeback.

22-year-old hooker Tierney-Martin is into the final stages of hamstring rehabilitation and is due to recommence team training next week.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

With Bealham and Tuimauga out looks like Auginer will start at TH.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interestingly, Ulster have included all their Irish internationals for the trip to SA. I assume there's an agreement that they won't play them in first game.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Duggan Heffernan aungier Murray dillane Prendergast Oliver butler Marmian carty porch Daly Arnold Sullivan TOH