Mick Dawson to step down at end of season

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Mick Dawson to step down at end of season

Post by Dave Cahill »

Leinster Rugby and the IRFU can confirm that Leinster Rugby CEO, Mick Dawson, will step down from his position at the end of the current season.

Dawson has been at the helm since November 2001 and has overseen a period of unprecedented success on and off the field.

Commenting on his decision, Dawson said, “It’s been a difficult decision but after 20-plus years I think the time is right.

“I’ve enjoyed every minute of it, and I’d like to thank all the great people I’ve worked with over the years. Volunteers, administrators, staff, coaches and players.

“None of what Leinster Rugby has achieved would have been possible without the support, counsel and friendship of a huge coterie of highly talented and committed people.

“Over the years I’ve always enjoyed a great working relationship with the IRFU, our sponsors and supporters, a big thank you to one and all.

“Finally, thanks to my family for your encouragement and support over the last 20 years.

“I’m optimistic that Leinster can continue to grow and thrive both on and off the pitch in the coming years and I’ll enjoy watching and supporting from the side lines.”

IRFU CEO, Kevin Potts, commented, “I want to thank Mick Dawson on behalf of everyone in the IRFU.

“For more than two decades, Mick has led Leinster with passion and distinction. There is no doubt that as CEO he created a winning culture, committed the resources and provided the guidance that has helped to shape sustained success on and off the pitch for Leinster.

“Mick has been a fantastic colleague to work with, always willing to challenge and always in the best interests of rugby, especially his beloved Leinster.

“I wish Mick and his family well in the future, he has left the Leinster jersey and the game in a better place than he found it, and that is a job well done.”

John Walsh, President of the Leinster Rugby Branch, said, “First of all I’d like to wish Mick well for this new and exciting chapter in his life. It has been a great honour for me to have been associated with his vision for Leinster Rugby since my own involvement started in 2000.

“Mick has been a visionary for Leinster Rugby. Where others may have seen obstacles, he saw opportunities and whether it was the move from Donnybrook to the RDS Arena, or the move to UCD, or the development of Energia Park and the Ken Wall Centre of Excellence, or the recruitment of coaches, staff and players, he has driven that from the very top.

“Of course, with his own background in the game and in the club scene, he also understood the Leinster DNA and the foundation of this club, which is a vibrant and healthy domestic rugby programme. I’m sure I speak on behalf of all his colleagues when I say that Leinster Rugby has been shaped by Mick’s stewardship of the organisation.

“Whether that be clubs or schools, the boys game or the girls, coaching, referees, volunteers, administrators, he knew that this was the beating heart that drove Leinster Rugby and he made sure that the domestic game was ably supported to provide that ‘From The Ground Up’ model.

“The pursuit of excellence on the field, was certainly matched off it and Mick drove that. We are indebted to his contribution for over 20 years, his legacy is secure and we wish him the very best of luck in his retirement. He can be assured of a standing ovation from all our clubs, schools and supporters and it is richly deserved.”

The IRFU will start a detailed search for a replacement CEO for the Leinster Rugby Branch in the coming weeks and they have appointed the international recruitment consultancy, Korn Ferry, to assist them with the process.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/ceo-mick-d ... step-down/
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Mick Dawson to step down at end of season

Post by riocard911 »

Wow!!! My initial reaction is to applaud Mick Dawson for all he has achieved at Leinster and done for the club. In rugby matches one hears often about the "unseen work" done by some players. This is what Mick did for us in spades over a great number of years and for which I am very grateful. Re successor the first names that spring to mind are Guy Easterby and Leo. If Mick manages his succession as well as every other task he dealt with as CEO, we should be grand.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What an incredible legacy.

Will be a big loss.

Would imagine Leo would be perfect for this role eventually. Would Easterby be next in line??
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

What a legacy Mick is leaving behind. From winning nothing in front of a couple of thousand in Donnybrook to one of the strongest and most successful club sides in the world. It wasn't an accident either, the foundations for our system both in commercial and playing terms were laid down in the 2000's. Next person up has some shoes to step into!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Not sure if this is the first ever thread devoted to him, but I think most fans know and applaud the central role he had in the phenomenal success of Leinster.

Given how professionally he has run everything, I have high hopes the succession will be well managed. Still plenty of trepidation though.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

He has done an outstanding job and is a great guy. We have been absolutely blessed to have him – he's been here for so long and has overseen so many positive changes for Leinster rugby, and as a result of that success, Irish rugby. I can't praise him enough.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Mick Dawson has been a front of the house manager of the most successful Club rugby side in the Northen Hemisphere for two decades. He has guided and directed Coaches, Administrators, Players and Volunteers to devote their efforts and passions to seek excellence in improving our Club in every aspect.

His genial personality is coupled with a clear view of what success looks like and he has ensured that egos were never allowed to prevent progress and everybody was gently reminded that the future and current direction of the Club must be upward.

Mick is a man of enormous energy and experience and despite the age on the door, he has significant skills that should be harnessed in the future in the service of Leinster and Irish rugby.

The grapevine suggests he will be President of Lansdowne next season in their 150th year and that is a worthy honour.

Go well and enjoy the accolades which will be heaped on you.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Thank you Mick, been such a fun ride, well done for keeping the show on the road for all these years :D :D

Leo ideal for this role in a few years I would think !!