A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lock9541
Graduate

Re: Leinster v Ospreys Saturday 19th Feb at 5pm

Post by Lock9541 »

Blue Man wrote: February 19th, 2022, 11:22 pm
Serb wrote: February 19th, 2022, 10:02 pm
Lock9541 wrote:Adam Byrne and Rory O’Loughlin are leaving at the end of the season
Did everyone just scroll past this? Is this confirmed or speculation?
I don’t believe it.
Ok don’t believe me then. Like why would I lie I’d get no benefit lying about this 🤦‍♂️🙄
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Due to the new format of the URC Leinster don’t need a huge squad anymore. I know there’s games being played this season during six nations due to Covid but that won’t happen next season as there won’t be any games being played during six nations. So there’s no need for a huge squad anymore.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Lock9541 wrote: February 20th, 2022, 1:07 am
Serb wrote: February 19th, 2022, 10:02 pm
Did everyone just scroll past this? Is this confirmed or speculation?
I don’t believe it.
Ok don’t believe me then. Like why would I lie I’d get no benefit lying about this 🤦‍♂️🙄
Are you hearing anything about Dan Leavy?
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

elephantman wrote: February 20th, 2022, 1:59 am

I don’t believe it.
Will let you know if I do. I’ve only heard about ROL and Adam Byrne so far.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Lock9541 wrote: February 20th, 2022, 2:04 am
elephantman wrote: February 20th, 2022, 1:59 am
Will let you know if I do. I’ve only heard about ROL and Adam Byrne so far.
👍
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Lock9541 wrote:

Adam Byrne and Rory O’Loughlin are leaving at the end of the season
Adam Byrne is a luxury player due to his injury profile that few teams can afford to carry. Sorry to see ROL leaving he's the type of squad player we need to retain.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

FourMasters wrote: February 19th, 2022, 11:27 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: February 19th, 2022, 7:35 pm
Laighin Break wrote:
We saw a grounding though, they just couldn't tell if it was over the line or not. So I guess over the line = try; short = 5m scrum
Ah, yes, gotcha. You are indeed correct (both of you)
After the deliberation, the TMO said to go back to the onfield decision. Maybe that's the protocol? Once the referee had said that he saw it as held up, it could only either be overruled by the TMO as a try or they go with the original (incorrect) decision?
The ref said he had it held up. There was clearly a grounding. So it’s either a try or short. Can’t be held up in goal.
Gavlar
Learner

Post by Gavlar »

the spoofer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: February 19th, 2022, 7:35 pm Ah, yes, gotcha. You are indeed correct (both of you)
After the deliberation, the TMO said to go back to the onfield decision. Maybe that's the protocol? Once the referee had said that he saw it as held up, it could only either be overruled by the TMO as a try or they go with the original (incorrect) decision?
The ref said he had it held up. There was clearly a grounding. So it’s either a try or short. Can’t be held up in goal.
Just watched this back. With the change in law can the ref award a 5m scrum anymore? He was mistaken in saying it was held up but having reviewed the footage what choice did he have?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Gavlar wrote: February 20th, 2022, 9:28 am
the spoofer wrote:

Just watched this back. With the change in law can the ref award a 5m scrum anymore? He was mistaken in saying it was held up but having reviewed the footage what choice did he have?

Attacking scrum
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

We started the game well with a very polished opening set and for the first fifteen minutes the game was really all about us. That's always good to see from a Leinster viewpoint – opening up sharp and letting the other team know that they are going to be in for a long day of tackling and scrambling.

The Ospreys have a hefty pack with a lot of heavy players and were intent on slowing the game down – they were slow to set at lineouts and had a lot of players taking a knee at intervals and holding the game up. To be frank, there was a lot of gamesmanship from them. They were short on wind rather than injured, and it's a problem at the moment in the sport that players can feign injury and slow the game down without any consequences.

The third quarter was a bit of a frustrating period for us, with the rain coming down, handling conditions deteriorating badly and the ref Brace further breaking up the game with a bit of a whistle-happy performance, but Leo's substitutions made a big difference, particularly the introduction of James Lowe, Rhys and Cro.

James Lowe's exhilarating try really brought the crowd back to the game and away from grumbling. Rhys's effort on the chase back to get to the ball ahead of the Osprey's right wing was another big moment for us – to see that big unit going at 100% effort then execute a perfect down-and-up in slippy conditions was another reminder of what a quality player he is. Cro's first halfbreak down the left was another little moment in the game that got the crowd involved. Everyone was willing him on to break that tackle and get into the open field for a run-in to mark his 200th Leinster appearance.

I was happy to see Harry selected at No12 and then play his typically confident game in a new position. The lad has so many nuances to his handling that he can be a delight to watch. In this instance, he had to put himself about a bit more and it was pleasing to see him make a lot of solid tackles. Jimmy O'Brien was another who played with real brio and looked very confident and assured in everything he did. He's playing great rugby at the moment. Scott Penny would have been my Man of the Match; he was everywhere. JT was really solid at hooker and the lineout was practically flawless. Max Deegan had a good outing in that part of the game and while he made some poor handling errors, he also carried really well.

A bonus point win in tough handling conditions is very welcome.I thought that Ross steered the ship well, despite some iffy service from Luke McGrath – iffy even when the ball was relatively dry.

We've got the Lions up next at home, who are very weak. We should be able to put them away quite handily and lodge ourselves at the top of the table.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

hugonaut wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:44 pm We started the game well with a very polished opening set and for the first fifteen minutes the game was really all about us. That's always good to see from a Leinster viewpoint – opening up sharp and letting the other team know that they are going to be in for a long day of tackling and scrambling.

The Ospreys have a hefty pack with a lot of heavy players and were intent on slowing the game down – they were slow to set at lineouts and had a lot of players taking a knee at intervals and holding the game up. To be frank, there was a lot of gamesmanship from them. They were short on wind rather than injured, and it's a problem at the moment in the sport that players can feign injury and slow the game down without any consequences.

The third quarter was a bit of a frustrating period for us, with the rain coming down, handling conditions deteriorating badly and the ref Brace further breaking up the game with a bit of a whistle-happy performance, but Leo's substitutions made a big difference, particularly the introduction of James Lowe, Rhys and Cro.

James Lowe's exhilarating try really brought the crowd back to the game and away from grumbling. Rhys's effort on the chase back to get to the ball ahead of the Osprey's right wing was another big moment for us – to see that big unit going at 100% effort then execute a perfect down-and-up in slippy conditions was another reminder of what a quality player he is. Cro's first halfbreak down the left was another little moment in the game that got the crowd involved. Everyone was willing him on to break that tackle and get into the open field for a run-in to mark his 200th Leinster appearance.

I was happy to see Harry selected at No12 and then play his typically confident game in a new position. The lad has so many nuances to his handling that he can be a delight to watch. In this instance, he had to put himself about a bit more and it was pleasing to see him make a lot of solid tackles. Jimmy O'Brien was another who played with real brio and looked very confident and assured in everything he did. He's playing great rugby at the moment. Scott Penny would have been my Man of the Match; he was everywhere. JT was really solid at hooker and the lineout was practically flawless. Max Deegan had a good outing in that part of the game and while he made some poor handling errors, he also carried really well.

A bonus point win in tough handling conditions is very welcome.I thought that Ross steered the ship well, despite some iffy service from Luke McGrath – iffy even when the ball was relatively dry.

We've got the Lions up next at home, who are very weak. We should be able to put them away quite handily and lodge ourselves at the top of the table.
Totally agree with your second paragraph, it's a blight on the game. Attacking teams are being penalized more than defensive and teams are deliberately slowing the game down to mitigate against a fast game - the opposite needs to be encouraged by whatever means.

Just rewatched the game and heard Fiona Coughlans rationale for the H Byrne MOM: he was out of position and offered the option of pass/kick/run. Hmmm.
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote: February 20th, 2022, 5:44 pm We started the game well with a very polished opening set and for the first fifteen minutes the game was really all about us. That's always good to see from a Leinster viewpoint – opening up sharp and letting the other team know that they are going to be in for a long day of tackling and scrambling.

As always, excellent overview of the proceedings. Big Mike has become a cornerstone of the pack and Martin Moloney a welcome addition from the Academy. How I wish Jamie Osborne could find third gear when in possession. He always looks like he has it when chasing kicks, but not so much when carrying. My big wish is still for an altered strategy within 10m of opposition line. More guile, less head-banging muscle.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

:green clap: :clap:

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 19th, 2022, 7:35 pm
Laighin Break wrote:
We saw a grounding though, they just couldn't tell if it was over the line or not. So I guess over the line = try; short = 5m scrum
Ah, yes, gotcha. You are indeed correct (both of you)
The clear grounding showed that the original decision was wrong. TMO’s aren’t normally that rigid.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Watching the game again this morning and that really was a poor tackle on JT around the 12 minute mark by Rhys Webb. Could have done serious damage forcing his head down like that. Incredible it wasn't a penalty or that it wasn't reviewed.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 21st, 2022, 9:48 am Watching the game again this morning and that really was a poor tackle on JT around the 12 minute mark by Rhys Webb. Could have done serious damage forcing his head down like that. Incredible it wasn't a penalty or that it wasn't reviewed.
Yeah I remember that. Comms were amazed it wasn't reviewed. Who was the TMO again?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

blockhead wrote: February 21st, 2022, 10:21 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: February 21st, 2022, 9:48 am Watching the game again this morning and that really was a poor tackle on JT around the 12 minute mark by Rhys Webb. Could have done serious damage forcing his head down like that. Incredible it wasn't a penalty or that it wasn't reviewed.
Yeah I remember that. Comms were amazed it wasn't reviewed. Who was the TMO again?
It was due to be a 'Leo Colgan; but I'm not sure if that changed along with the other officials
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Gavlar wrote: February 20th, 2022, 9:28 am
the spoofer wrote:

I just can't see how it can be a goal line drop out. That is reserved for held up in goal. Ball was clearly grounded. So it has to be either short (5m attacking scrum) or grounded over the line (try). It was a fairly big call to get wrong as it was for our 4th try and bonus point.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

That could have been worse! We were very much second best all over the park bar the scrum where I thought Botha gave Healy a bit of a tough time

Lowe scored good try but Morgan is a dreadful defender and I am not sure how he starts ahead of protheroe same with evans at 15 ahead of anscombe

We tackled well and stuck at it but leinster are simply a better team, they have better basic skills, are more physically powerful and are better coached

I do worry about our attacking play, we seem to do ok in scrappy dogfights at home but on the road our lack of attack is highlighted

On the plus point young deaves at 7 was very good and has a big future , webb took his try well and we have now played all our away games in Ireland
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The 7 in the yellow scrum cap was excellent. Very energetic all night.