Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Disappointing, felt to me like we were in control for a lot of it but just didn’t get the points to go with it. With conditions being so poor I thought we were wrong to turn down the three at one stage in the second half and it meant we put more pressure on ourselves then to have to get a try late on in such horrible conditions.

The lineout became a big issue but Jesus Christ how did Murphy let them away with closing the gap and jumping across (at one stage Carter ended up pretty much past our jumper’s inside shoulder which led to us losing it) but then ping McCarthy for a much cleaner one? The use it call at the end was a joke as well. Ulster constantly offside but rarely pinged and in a game where the ball is so greasy that’s a massive issue.

Some stupid penalties that were completely on us too though.

Huge shift from Dooley, again it’s hard to see why we didn’t back him more. Nice to see Lasisi get on for his debut.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:35 pm
the spoofer wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:32 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:31 pm

That was a clear gap closing from McCarthy.

None of the inside 10 pens were an issue. That was down to poor kicking.

Blame the ref all you want if it makes you feel better, (most had prepared to do that on Wednesday anyway) but the issues were all in blue tonight.
b*%&!x
I'd say you've a few on you so I'll leave it there.
No, I just think you are full of sh!t. Held my counsel til now.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Serb wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:20 pm Terrible game of rugby overall. I think a losing bonus point for us is a win, facing very close to the strongest possible Ulster team. It’s a bit of a reality check for Ulster, they’re nowhere near our level imo.

Main positive for us is another strong showing for Joe McCarthy, emerging at the perfect time for us really. Hope to see a lot more of him over the next few games.

Jimmy O’Brien looks to be injured, hope he’s not out for too long.
A dreadful game – a real stinker. Weather conditions were absolutely abysmal and it made it a hell of a tough game to play and to watch.

We were quite blunt, but that's generally going to happen in games where the weather is cr@p. Handling errors and slips are going to happen, you just can't dwell on them.

It's not the worst result. We had a sh*tload of players beating England in Twickenham and we're still top of the table.
Not sure what this says about me but I enjoyed it :lol:

If we’d actually won then I’d have upgraded that to loving it. Forwards having to drag themselves off the ground to go again and again, pictures of a flooded pitch, players haven’t to towel off during play, every kick being a lottery both for the kicker and receiver, some big hits, and with all that a tiny fullback was the best player on the pitch and made mugs out of half the other team…bring it on!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Hard to fathom how incredibly conservative tactics badly executed was the best Leinster could muster for the last 50 mins.

Quite a few sub-par performances, a few decent ones and a small selection who didn't seem to be bothering their hole. Frustrating all around.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Morf wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:47 pm Hard to fathom how incredibly conservative tactics badly executed was the best Leinster could muster for the last 50 mins.

Quite a few sub-par performances, a few decent ones and a small selection who didn't seem to be bothering their hole. Frustrating all around.
Surely it’s just down to the conditions? We were playing some lovely stuff early on but then the weather deteriorated hugely and both teams just had to kick it and hope for the best. Baloucoune and Gilroy looked very ropey so Lowry was their only back three player that was comfortable out there. Makes sense to me.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

You had commentary about how come Lowry wasn’t in Twickenham. Did they watch the game today?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

In weather like that, on a pitch like that, in a dour game like that the officials gifted Ulster a try where they let two forward passes go in the build up - the first one was as obvious as there is, the second one looked forward on first showing but fair enough let play go on and take a look back, nope no chance. That’s really bad officiating, it’s basically won Ulster that game, there’s technology there to sort this but no they don’t even bother using it. He (Frank) is so finicky about stupid things at the ruck like binding on players and ignores a 5 pointer that shouldn’t have been in a 5 point game.

He had so much potential when he came through as a ref, he was a former player but he’s just plateaued over the last 3 seasons or so. It’s like he’s no feel for the game and how it’s played, a bit shocking for an ex player. Worryingly he’s not the worst Irish ref by a long distance at the minute, our cupboard is bare.

He’s sh!t for all teams by the way I’m not having an anti Leinster moan, he’s just not a good ref.

Thought we might have to settle for a LBP with the teams that were picked, I’m just a bit disappointed that Ulster didn’t have to do more to earn the win, a bit like the match in the RDS earlier in the season. We have a tough end of season coming up, might make us stronger for Europe games though, here’s hoping.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

the spoofer wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:53 pm You had commentary about how come Lowry wasn’t in Twickenham. Did they watch the game today?
We still would’ve won today with Lowry he has more flare IMO. I still agree Keenan should be starting tho with Lowry on bench. Keenan doesn’t deserve to be dropped he’s been superb. But I think Lowry should be on Bench
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Lock9541 wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:56 pm
the spoofer wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:53 pm You had commentary about how come Lowry wasn’t in Twickenham. Did they watch the game today?
We still would’ve won today with Lowry he has more flare IMO. I still agree Keenan should be starting tho with Lowry on bench. Keenan doesn’t deserve to be dropped he’s been superb. But I think Lowry should be on Bench
Instead of who?
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:28 pm
Dexter wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:26 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:21 pm Sorry I mean to say "BOOO Frank! You're a really bad man!".

Since he was announced as ref this week people have been waiting to give out. Pure confirmation bias.

The key issue out there tonight was our discipline. Second biggest was our awful kicking.
Sorry but he was as bad as predicted, not confirmation bias, just bad.
Leinster still should have won really though, butchered 2 or 3 try chances, that's on Leinster.
Ok, go on then why? What penalties or errors did you have an issue with?
The obvious one is the forward pass for the try, although you Blind Mike is probably more at fault.
But you know all that, you just want an argument.
Dont Panic!
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Leinster had the possession and territory to win. It’s the type of match we used to win by out muscling the opposition pack; however, we don’t have the sort of dominance over the likes of Ulster anymore.
Ulster had Lowry and Balocune back from Irish camp and that gave them xfactor. Leinster had 14 players in Twickers and have big injury issues in the 3/4s, particularly at 12 where Osborne stepped up well but just isn’t a distributor.
Ross Byrne has been playing well if late but played too deep today, kicked poorly and went missing when it needed a leader to win the match. Sadly, Luke’s poor form continued, there was just no control from 9. Both hookers cost us at the lineout and Tracy was his usual terrible self in every facet.
There were also some positives, the scrum went well (I still can’t believe Dooley is leaving) Joe McCarthy looks a seriously impressive player, the back row worked hard and Osborne and JOB looked capable of line breaks.
Disappointed to lose but lots to build upon.
ULSTER

Post by ULSTER »

I did, and I know I'm biased, but he played very well this evening, even considering the conditions. It was always going to be a tough game, conditions wise, but Ulster held out, and whoever won deserved the win.

I'm laughing at all the comments about Frank Murphy. Ulster were pinged off the park in the first half. I don't know what game you lot were watching, but it can't have been this one.

Anyway, lads. You will likely still finish top. The conditions meant Ulster could never have taken the 5 points on offer but, even still, you will finish top.

Getting back to Lowry .... a class player, and your bitterness betrays your bitternes.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dexter wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:59 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:28 pm
Dexter wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:26 pm
Sorry but he was as bad as predicted, not confirmation bias, just bad.
Leinster still should have won really though, butchered 2 or 3 try chances, that's on Leinster.
Ok, go on then why? What penalties or errors did you have an issue with?
The obvious one is the forward pass for the try, although you Blind Mike is probably more at fault.
But you know all that, you just want an argument.

You responded to me right?

I’ve mentioned the try incident twice now btw.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

ULSTER wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:06 pm
I did, and I know I'm biased, but he played very well this evening, even considering the conditions. It was always going to be a tough game, conditions wise, but Ulster held out, and whoever won deserved the win.

I'm laughing at all the comments about Frank Murphy. Ulster were pinged off the park in the first half. I don't know what game you lot were watching, but it can't have been this one.

Anyway, lads. You will likely still finish top. The conditions meant Ulster could never have taken the 5 points on offer but, even still, you will finish top.

Getting back to Lowry .... a class player, and your bitterness betrays your bitternes.
In fairness I think if you read back most people have not been disingenuous towards Lowry tonight (quite the opposite in fact). Lowry's time for Ireland will come but I think for most people the one thing Ireland didn't need today was a different full-back. Keenan was probably Irelands best player especially when we were struggling. I don't think that reflects badly on Lowry or his performance tonight.

I don't think anyone is bitter about Lowry. He seems to be a very nice guy and is liked by most supporters.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:31 pm

In fairness I think if you read back most people have not been disingenuous towards Lowry tonight (quite the opposite in fact). Lowry's time for Ireland will come but I think for most people the one thing Ireland didn't need today was a different full-back. Keenan was probably Irelands best player especially when we were struggling. I don't think that reflects badly on Lowry or his performance tonight.

I don't think anyone is bitter about Lowry. He seems to be a very nice guy and is liked by most supporters.
I agree - mind you that didn’t stop me screaming “someone hit the little b$&%@#d” every time he got the ball :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:50 pm
Morf wrote: March 12th, 2022, 9:47 pm Hard to fathom how incredibly conservative tactics badly executed was the best Leinster could muster for the last 50 mins.

Surely it’s just down to the conditions? We were playing some lovely stuff early on but then the weather deteriorated hugely and both teams just had to kick it and hope for the best. Baloucoune and Gilroy looked very ropey so Lowry was their only back three player that was comfortable out there. Makes sense to me.
It did feel a bit like trench warfare. No matter which team won all viewers lost.
Definitely need more perspective on conditions and was/partially am frustrated at a poor viewing experience.
The quality of kicks and chase were pretty poor though and Lowry looked a class above.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Keenan was mam of the match today. Why would we have needed Lowry?
ULSTER

Post by ULSTER »

Sorry, I was aiming my comment at the poster I replied to, and nobody else. I'm sure Lowry will get to showcase his skills with Ireland and, I agree, today wasn't the right time. That said; Keenan is undoubted internation class, and I'm a big fan.

Hopefully next time we meet will be in better conditions
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The try was checked by the TMO, all tries are - he gave the all clear before the conversion.

@leinsterrugby
35 | second try for Ulster scored by Lowry but TMO check for a forward pass in the build-up...

Referee is happy, conversion missed by Doak so score is now 15-10 to the home side

#ULSvLEI #URC

I think that it was forward myself, but it was checked.

I don't like Murphy as a ref, not because I think he's biased in any way, but because he - surprisingly for a former pro scrum half - appears to have no appreciation for momentuum or pacing in a game and how to apply a light touch to maintain it.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Xanthippe wrote: March 12th, 2022, 10:35 pm

I agree - mind you that didn’t stop me screaming “someone hit the little b$&%@#d” every time he got the ball :twisted:
Ah yeah well that's allowed, obviously :wink: