Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4

Post by neill_m »

Ulster v Leinster rescheduled for Saturday March 12 7:35pm.

Same day as England v Ireland.
Last edited by neill_m on January 21st, 2022, 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Ulster away

Post by wixfjord »

We'll either be on a high after whupping England or looking for something to take our minds off a Twickers loss.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

You need to include more match details in the thread title Neill_m.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

outcast eddie wrote: January 21st, 2022, 1:41 pm You need to include more match details in the thread title Neill_m.
Done :D
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

neill_m wrote: January 21st, 2022, 1:53 pm
outcast eddie wrote: January 21st, 2022, 1:41 pm You need to include more match details in the thread title Neill_m.
Done :D
Merci :)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ulster Away Rescheduled Round 9 Game Sat Mar 12 7:35pm Premier Sports & TG4

Post by ronk »

Thanks, also. Its useful info there.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Any suggestions for good pubs to watch the England v Ireland match in before a stroll to Ravenhill?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Get out the whip. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Oldschool wrote: January 31st, 2022, 12:56 pm
Get out the whip. :wink:
A German colleague often tells me my communication style is abrupt enough be Teutonic. :)
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

brotheroffrank wrote: January 31st, 2022, 12:25 pm Any suggestions for good pubs to watch the England v Ireland match in before a stroll to Ravenhill?
Errigle and Pavilion on Ormeau Road and Malone RFC on Cregagh Road are good options. 1st two would be 20 minutes walk with the rugby club 15 minutes walk to the ground.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

neill_m wrote: January 31st, 2022, 7:35 pm
brotheroffrank wrote: January 31st, 2022, 12:25 pm Any suggestions for good pubs to watch the England v Ireland match in before a stroll to Ravenhill?
Errigle and Pavilion on Ormeau Road and Malone RFC on Cregagh Road are good options. 1st two would be 20 minutes walk with the rugby club 15 minutes walk to the ground.
Good suggestions, Errigle is a great spot. Don't come from the other side of the ground, we made that mistake and passed 17 churches from all kinds of whackjob cults before arriving at the ground without finding a bar!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Flash Gordon wrote: February 1st, 2022, 9:54 am
neill_m wrote: January 31st, 2022, 7:35 pm
Good suggestions, Errigle is a great spot. Don't come from the other side of the ground, we made that mistake and passed 17 churches from all kinds of whackjob cults before arriving at the ground without finding a bar!
thanks
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Malone RFC location (not technically on Cregagh Road, but just off it on Gibson Park Avenue, you get the no 6 bus from centre of Belfast):

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Malone+ ... 765966!3e0

The number 7 bus will take you up the Ormeau Road to Pavilion / Errigle from the centre of Belfast.

Best checking with all three venues whether you need to book a table.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

On Saturday 12 March, Ulster host Leinster at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm), with the current top two in the United Rugby Championship going head-to-head in another mouth-watering showdown between Irish Rugby’s oldest rivals.

Prior to the big interprovincial derby, we are pleased to confirm that we will be screening England versus Ireland in the Guinness Six Nations, which kicks off at 4.45pm. Gates will open at 4pm and the match will be shown on all screens within the public bars, A&L Goodbody Premium Lounge and the two big screens in the stadium bowl.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

We played badly when they beat us in the RDS earlier in the season. With a trip into the unknown (SA) to come I think we need to target 9 points from the three away Inter pros. A good start is important in a ground where we have struggled on occasions.
Last night, Ulster had a strong side out, almost undisrupted by international absence. I suspect that for the Leinster match they’ll be without Baloucoune, Hume, Henderson and Timoney; along with Herring, Lowry, Treadwell and O’Toole. Nowhere near as disrupted as Leinster but it does weaken them compared to recent weeks.
Leinster’s non-internationals have build some consistency over the past few weeks so I expect a similar selection to the Lions match, something like:
Dooley, Tracy, Mike, Molony, McCarthy, Ruds, Penny, Deegan
Luke, Ross, DK, Harry, Osborne, TOB, JOB

It’s a massive challenge in Kingspan and we’ll have to earn the right to go wide. For me, the breakdown will be key, it’s critical we generate quick ball and disrupt their’s; we lost this battle in the RDS. I also expect a really aggressive rush defence from them so Luke and Ross Will have to kick well and we need to be intelligent about where we attack, there was space around the fringes in the last match that we didn’t exploit. Ulster is going really well and will want to set a marker so this is a big one, I hope the team put in a performance
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Yeah Neill you've been slipping a wee bit of late.
You could think about adding the likely commentary team (in your main thread) so that we can pick and choose which TV coverage we will watch. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Blue Man wrote: March 5th, 2022, 6:08 pm We played badly when they beat us in the RDS earlier in the season. With a trip into the unknown (SA) to come I think we need to target 9 points from the three away Inter pros. A good start is important in a ground where we have struggled on occasions.
Last night, Ulster had a strong side out, almost undisrupted by international absence. I suspect that for the Leinster match they’ll be without Baloucoune, Hume, Henderson and Timoney; along with Herring, Lowry, Treadwell and O’Toole. Nowhere near as disrupted as Leinster but it does weaken them compared to recent weeks.
Leinster’s non-internationals have build some consistency over the past few weeks so I expect a similar selection to the Lions match, something like:
Dooley, Tracy, Mike, Molony, McCarthy, Ruds, Penny, Deegan
Luke, Ross, DK, Harry, Osborne, TOB, JOB

It’s a massive challenge in Kingspan and we’ll have to earn the right to go wide. For me, the breakdown will be key, it’s critical we generate quick ball and disrupt their’s; we lost this battle in the RDS. I also expect a really aggressive rush defence from them so Luke and Ross Will have to kick well and we need to be intelligent about where we attack, there was space around the fringes in the last match that we didn’t exploit. Ulster is going really well and will want to set a marker so this is a big one, I hope the team put in a performance
I would go with Leavy at No7. I thought that Scott Penny looked tired against Benetton and had the quietest game he has had in a long while. Leavy is a big personality and a combative guy, and I think we'll need that in Ravenhill.

McCloskey is such an important player for them and a difficult guy to play against. We played Locko against him in the 2019 QF and Locko had a rough time. My feeling is that we could instruct Leavy to concentrate on him, in the same manner that Joe Worsley was sent after Jamie Roberts all those years ago [think it was 2009]. Locko and Leavy know each other well – they played all the way up together in St Michaels. I think they could combine well to do a job on McCloskey and take a lot of the sting out of him.

Hopefully Ireland will call Marty Moore up into the squad for the England game. We went into the Italian game with Cian Healy nominally being the tighthead-in-the-stand, but we don't have that option against England as Cian will be playing. On the other hand, John Ryan played against Japan last summer, so he might be the guy that Farrell turns to with Tom O'Toole injured. That would be a backwards step, because Ryan is off to Wasps next season and there is zero chance of him playing in RWC23.

I thought we brought Harry Byrne back the proverbial 'week too soon' – he's obviously still feeling the rib injury he picked up against the Lions. There's no point in putting him back into the team if he's going to have to come off early.
Last edited by hugonaut on March 6th, 2022, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Biggest question for me is who starts at 12 assuming Harry & Frawley aren't available.

ROL would be my shout, but surprisingly enough he wasn't the choice when Harry went off yesterday.

Would be a big call to go with TOB & Osborne against McCloskey and potentially Hume.

A lot depends on who's in Irish camp and who isn't, for both sides.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: March 6th, 2022, 1:10 pm Biggest question for me is who starts at 12 assuming Harry & Frawley aren't available.

ROL would be my shout, but surprisingly enough he wasn't the choice when Harry went off yesterday.

Would be a big call to go with TOB & Osborne against McCloskey and potentially Hume.

A lot depends on who's in Irish camp and who isn't, for both sides.
You're spot on, it could have a big effect. The international is in England, so I presume that they will travel with 30+ players.

I think we can count on losing Larmour [back three cover], but on second thoughts maybe they bring Conway to cover the back three? Or maybe Conway is back in the team and Hansen travels as cover. I don't think that Baloucoune is going to be in the mix, I think he's going to have to wait until the NZ tour.

We won't have Baird [lock cover], but I think that has been taken into account. Then you have Heffernan [hooker cover], Casey [SH cover], Carty [OH cover] ... that's five additional non-playing players already.

Who will he look at for LH cover and TH cover? From my perspective Marty Moore should be a shoo-in for the latter, but he hasn't been involved in squads. Jack McGrath is only coming back towards fitness at club level and hasn't played an international game in two and a half years on the loosehead side. Dooley was involved in the training squad for the 2021 summer tests, so he has a reasonable chance of being the next man up. So provisionally Dooley [LH cover] and Marty Moore [TH cover] could be out of the mix for the Ravenhill match. Then backrow cover could be between Timoney and Coombes.

Hume hasn't translated his form for Ulster to the Six Nations. He got a good few minutes in his preferred position in a dominant team against Wales and Italy and he didn't make any impact. To be frank, he was poor against Italy. I think Henshaw will be No23 against England and Hume will be out of the squad. Will he travel? Will Lowry travel?

To me it seems like there are still loads of variables.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jordan Larmour sustained a hip injury in Leinster’s game against Benetton and has been ruled out of the remainder of the 2022 Guinness Six Nations.

Jack Carty, Dave Heffernan (Connacht), Craig Casey, Gavin Coombes (Munster) and Robert Baloucoune, James Hume and Nick Timoney (Ulster) all return to the Ireland squad having featured for their respective provinces.

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/03/07/he ... t-call-up/

Such a shame for JL.

Basically we'll have the 23 from the weekend available besides him (and maybe Harry).

Ulster without Balacoune, Hume, Timoney, Herring, Hendo, Treadwell & Lowry.