Montpellier v Leinster Friday 17th 8pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Montpellier v Leinster Friday 17th 8pm

Post by riocard911 »

I thought Leinster Rugby and the Irish Times had come to some kind of a commercial agreement at the start of the season. In light of that, couldn't Gerry show a little bit more sympathy for the Leinster position?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Yeah it's a bit annoying that he highlights why our game differed from the Postponed games but didn't highlight were our Game also differed from the other Canceled games.
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on December 20th, 2021, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Gerry is a pr!*k, that is all...
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

OS where did you get this gem from:

To make it very clear the EPRC didn't firstly decide to give Montpellier a 28-0 victory over Leinster and then subsequently decide that the match couldn't be postponed and played at a later date

You've been talking too much to your mirror methinks. Read their statement.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 20th, 2021, 10:00 pm Gerry is a pr!*k, that is all...
Look Gerry knows all about the Munster Zeitgeist, he is an expert on it. Don't be too hard on him, no one in the world knows more about it. Leinster and other stuff not so much.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

We need to let this go and concentrate on getting the 15 points we possibly can get.

It's over. Let go. Nobody listens to techno.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Gerry's view and the legal application of the ECPR Competition Regulations are two different matters. In the case of the Wasps v Munster game, ECPL allowed the game to proceed without the intervention of the Medical Committee despite the PCR diagnosis of positive cases within 15 hours of kick-off. By requesting the Medical Competition to make a determination more than 27 hrs before the Montpellier v Leinster kick-off time, ECPL ignored the precedent they had established.

However, because Leinster had confirmed they would travel with a Squad and had approval from Irish Health Authorities to do so, ECPC did not apply fair process to Leinster. This isn't a matter of Competition Regulations, it is a matter of law.

The secondary matter is that ECPL did not apply their Regulations equally to all teams as they allowed Wasps proceed to play Munster despite having positive PCR results within 15 hours before kick-off but made a pre-empive decision about Leinster more than 27 hours before kick-off.

I support Leinster's position.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 20th, 2021, 10:00 pm
Gerry is a pr!*k, that is all...
You better watch your words OSS, Look at him! This is one bad hombre. The chain, the earring, the stubble that screams don't f**k with me or I will end you
(not pictured here Jerry's cowboy boots)

B0llocks that, your're 100% right. Gervaise please f**k off to your Dexy's Midnight Runner's cover band
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

mea culpa
Last edited by RoboProp on December 21st, 2021, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
leinsterblueyellow
Learner

Post by leinsterblueyellow »

Side by side with Gerry's article was the following quote from Owen Doyle

"Finally, to a match which wasn’t played. The issues surrounding the decision, by European Professional Club Rugby’s match-risk assessment group, to cancel Leinster’s trip to Montpellier, are well documented, but to give the home team five league table points plus 28 match points is completely inequitable. The competition is close to chaos, which is not of the organiser’s making. But failure to take a more considered and common sense approach only adds to their problems. These very strange times need out-of-the-box thinking, not simply the standard application of a competition rule which damages the integrity of the competition.

The assurances which Leinster were given, and the fact that they had a match-day squad ready to travel, who had all tested negative, surely points to the match being played at a later date. There is a heck of a lot more here than just a compelling case to do so."

It is hard to reconcile the two views.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

doubler
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:45 pm I thought Leinster Rugby and the Irish Times had come to some kind of a commercial agreement at the start of the season. In light of that, couldn't Gerry show a little bit more sympathy for the Leinster position?
Don't think the agreement means that journalists have to write what we tell them!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 21st, 2021, 7:41 am Gerry's view and the legal application of the ECPR Competition Regulations are two different matters. In the case of the Wasps v Munster game, ECPL allowed the game to proceed without the intervention of the Medical Committee despite the PCR diagnosis of positive cases within 15 hours of kick-off. By requesting the Medical Competition to make a determination more than 27 hrs before the Montpellier v Leinster kick-off time, ECPL ignored the precedent they had established.

However, because Leinster had confirmed they would travel with a Squad and had approval from Irish Health Authorities to do so, ECPC did not apply fair process to Leinster. This isn't a matter of Competition Regulations, it is a matter of law.

The secondary matter is that ECPL did not apply their Regulations equally to all teams as they allowed Wasps proceed to play Munster despite having positive PCR results within 15 hours before kick-off but made a pre-empive decision about Leinster more than 27 hours before kick-off.

I support Leinster's position.
Great post. That's exactly the way it will be dealt with I'd imagine. Whatever the rules are they need to be consistently applied. I can't imagine that they have been given what transpired.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Flash Gordon wrote: December 21st, 2021, 9:30 am
riocard911 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:45 pm I thought Leinster Rugby and the Irish Times had come to some kind of a commercial agreement at the start of the season. In light of that, couldn't Gerry show a little bit more sympathy for the Leinster position?
Don't think the agreement means that journalists have to write what we tell them!
Gan dabht, Flash. However, all Gerry did essentially was trot out the EPCR position. The weakness of the Montpellier selection - e.g. Pollard and Garbisi both out at 10 - can't have escaped his notice. God almighty, all us amateurs on here spotted it straight away. Instead he stated Montpellier not reporting another positive covid case after the Monday and contrasted that with the outbreak situation in Leinster, thereby saying essentially it was our fault the EPCR pulled the plug. No mention of the suspicions, that Montpellier were being cute hoors, is what disappointed me. I'd rather not have a "commercial partnership" with media outlets and journos, who don't fight our corner or even give us the benefit of the doubt, when the going gets rough. If the shoe was on the other foot, do you believe L'Equipe or Rugby Magazine would stab Montpellier, Toulouse or any other Top 14 club in the back or leave it in the lurch in a legal dispute with a foreign club? I don't. Not. For. A. Millisecond!!!
Last edited by riocard911 on December 21st, 2021, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

riocard911 wrote: December 21st, 2021, 10:11 am
Flash Gordon wrote: December 21st, 2021, 9:30 am
Gan dabht, Flash. However, all Gerry did essentially was trot out the EPCR position. The weakness of the Montpellier selection - e.g. Pollard and Garbisi both out at 10 - can't have escaped his notice. God almighty, all us amateurs on here spotted it straight away. Instead he stated Montpellier not reporting another positive covid case after the Monday and contrasted that with the outbreak situation in Leinster, thereby saying essentially it was our fault the EPCR pulled the plug. No mention of the suspicions, that Montpellier were being cute hoors, is what disappointed me. I'd rather not have a "commercial partnership" with media outlets and journos, who don't fight our corner or even give us the benefit of the doubt, when the going gets rough. If the shoe was on the other foot, do you believe L'Equipe or Rugby Magazine would stab Montpellier, Toulouse or any other Top 14 in the back or leave it in the lurch in a legal dispute with a foreign club? I don't. Not. For. A. Millisecond!!!
There is no Red in the Irish Flag.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Degz wrote: December 21st, 2021, 5:54 am We need to let this go and concentrate on getting the 15 points we possibly can get.

+1
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote: December 21st, 2021, 10:36 am
Degz wrote: December 21st, 2021, 5:54 am We need to let this go and concentrate on getting the 15 points we possibly can get.

+1
I hope Leinster and the IRFU aren't taking that approach.
Bear in mind this may not be a one off.
What happens if a similar situation arises with our remaining fixtures. Who knows what what the EPCR position would be. Another 28-0 but for who?
This is one of those situations where a bit of paranoia is more than justified, it's actually necessary.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

+1
The one doesn't rule out the other. Let the players and coaching staff concentrate on achieving the maximum points and leave the lawyers to kick up a fuss about our unfair treatment at the hands of the EPCR. That's what the latter are there for. No stone unturned would be my favoured course of action. Leinster just rolling over would be the wrong signal for the future. Every other organisation or institution should be reluctant to mess with us, for fear of the grief we will give them - and that is the way it should be, IMO.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

desperado wrote: December 20th, 2021, 11:11 pm OS where did you get this gem from:

To make it very clear the EPRC didn't firstly decide to give Montpellier a 28-0 victory over Leinster and then subsequently decide that the match couldn't be postponed and played at a later date

You've been talking too much to your mirror methinks. Read their statement.
Given your obvious inability to take on board my point, I felt it necessary to state the obvious.
TBF I'd probably get more sense from my mirror than I'm getting from you.
As for their statement, substitute self serving hindsight.
The facts have changed. Postponements first deemed not possible are now possible.
Tough if Montpellier aren't happy, they got a dodgy decision in their favour in the first place.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

+1
Why would the two be mutually exclusive? Fight the legal battle and fight the battle on the pitch, it's not an either or. There is a real issue given the way the world is at the moment that this could happen to us again and then it wouldn't matter what we did on the pitch because our destiny would be out of our control.