Montpellier v Leinster Friday 17th 8pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

desperado
Mullet

Re: Montpellier v Leinster Friday 17th 8pm

Post by desperado »

Gerry of course glosses over the Wasps case without any questions which any journalist worth his salt would question. Wasps had to withdraw 4 players on the day of the game that were named to start.
It simply not credible that there were further close contacts of those 4 in the rest of the starting lineup, unless they did zero training in the week leading up. Gerry's short reference to the Wasps situation does not tally at all with Murray K's see link.

https://www.the42.ie/wasps-covid-munste ... 2-Dec2021/

Leinster have stated that the club followed and passed all the EPCR stipulated and agreed checks. Did this include a final MRAC review? (first time I've seen the acronym or this committee mentioned).

According to Gerry "'Wasps were given approval to play the match by the UK health security agency and the RFU, so the EPCR did not enlist a MRAC to adjudicate on that game'". Different standards applied.

If this is the case then Leinster have a genuine grievance of being treated differently with the inclusion of an MRAC review on the day prior to travel; and was this an agreed final step in the process?
To me there's little point in appealing to the organisation that made the decision in the first place; especially the EPCR. I'm not sure where you'd go to get an independent review.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Oldschool wrote: December 21st, 2021, 10:48 am
desperado wrote: December 20th, 2021, 11:11 pm OS where did you get this gem from:

To make it very clear the EPRC didn't firstly decide to give Montpellier a 28-0 victory over Leinster and then subsequently decide that the match couldn't be postponed and played at a later date

You've been talking too much to your mirror methinks. Read their statement.
Given your obvious inability to take on board my point, I felt it necessary to state the obvious.
TBF I'd probably get more sense from my mirror than I'm getting from you.
As for their statement, substitute self serving hindsight.
The facts have changed. Postponements first deemed not possible are now possible.
Tough if Montpellier aren't happy, they got a dodgy decision in their favour in the first place.
I'll help your mirror out : This is what you posted:
"Think it's correct to say that the reason our game was declared a 28-0 result (Scarlets ditto) was because the games couldn't be rescheduled.
Given that it now appears that those games can be rescheduled then the original decision should be revoked and the games merely postponed."

That is conjecture (lets call it... "'you", think etc). It's very clear EPCR deemed the MHR V Leinster match could not go ahead on safety grounds due to COVID in the Leinster squad vs them calling the imposition of new travel rules by the French govt re travel from the UK as exceptional circumstances.
The first (whether we like it or not) they are calling is catered for in the 'rules', the second isn't.,
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Flash Gordon wrote: December 21st, 2021, 9:30 am
riocard911 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 9:45 pm I thought Leinster Rugby and the Irish Times had come to some kind of a commercial agreement at the start of the season. In light of that, couldn't Gerry show a little bit more sympathy for the Leinster position?
Don't think the agreement means that journalists have to write what we tell them!
Yeah that's gas
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

desperado wrote: December 21st, 2021, 11:48 am
desperado wrote: December 20th, 2021, 11:11 pm OS where did you get this gem from:

To make it very clear the EPRC didn't firstly decide to give Montpellier a 28-0 victory over Leinster and then subsequently decide that the match couldn't be postponed and played at a later date

Given your obvious inability to take on board my point, I felt it necessary to state the obvious.
The facts have changed. Postponements first deemed not possible are now possible.
Tough if Montpellier aren't happy, they got a dodgy decision in their favour in the first place.
"Think it's correct to say that the reason our game was declared a 28-0 result (Scarlets ditto) was because the games couldn't be rescheduled.
Given that it now appears that those games can be rescheduled then the original decision should be revoked and the games merely postponed."

That is conjecture (lets call it... "'you", think etc). It's very clear EPCR deemed the MHR V Leinster match could not go ahead on safety grounds due to COVID in the Leinster squad vs them calling the imposition of new travel rules by the French govt re travel from the UK as exceptional circumstances.
The first (whether we like it or not) they are calling is catered for in the 'rules', the second isn't.,
They also deemed that the Leinster game couldn't be postponed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

It's pantomine season; but no they didn't (deem it couldn't be postponed). My last on the topic, I'm losing the will etc...
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Correct and right 👍
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Correct and right 👍
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

deco wrote: December 21st, 2021, 8:30 pm

Correct and right 👍
Except for the central fact that if it was in their remit to postpone a number of games then it was in their remit to postpone one game.
Once again hindsight excuses were made aka exceptional circumstances.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

One of the things GT said was our appeal will probably fail because the epcr can't go against the match risk committee full of medical people etc. I agree that the epcr can't/shouldn't overrule the medical people and say the match can go ahead. But a separate committee met to decide the match result and it is that decision that can be appealed against. They could have postponed, appointed 2 points each etc. I believe this is where the appeal will focus.

In all likelihood I expect the appeal will be parked waiting to see what happens with Rd 3 and 4. I think it's wildly optimistic to think that there won't be more cancellations /postponements so once we get to a position that multiple teams have missed multiple games, I think this tournament format is untenable. They should then announce the home away rd16 is replaced with a play off for teams 9 to 24 and then a 1 leg Rd 16. These group games (the ones that were actually played) can be used for seeding the teams but no one is excluded from the knock outs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I can't believe we still have another two weeks before another game of rugby. We'll be going into this game on the 16th so unbelievably cold now.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The other side of that however is that we'll have a full two week training block with the team and the tactics we want to play, which is unheard of mid season.

It could be a real boost to have that uninterrupted training time to taper up.

I always have faith in Stu to have the lads absolutely flat out in training too.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

CiaranIrl wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 4:50 pm I can't believe we still have another two weeks before another game of rugby. We'll be going into this game on the 16th so unbelievably cold now.
Assuming the game goes ahead, do we know for sure if Montpellier will travel?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

nc6000 wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 6:01 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 4:50 pm I can't believe we still have another two weeks before another game of rugby. We'll be going into this game on the 16th so unbelievably cold now.
Assuming the game goes ahead, do we know for sure if Montpellier will travel?
Also, I think Thursday is the day when the 5,000 lucky ST holders are to be picked to attend (assuming there are no further number restrictions in the meantime).
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Just heard Laurence D wondering how English clubs can compete against Leinster with or £10 or £15m budget.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

This 5000 limit is a joke.
How many were squeezed in the terrace in Galway and stand on New Years Day?

Also, I think Thursday is the day when the 5,000 lucky ST holders are to be picked to attend (assuming there are no further number restrictions in the meantime).
[/quote]
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Blue not red blood wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:15 pm This 5000 limit is a joke.

[/quote]

Connacht allowed 50% capacity at Galway on the 1st, so apparently just over 3,000. Was season ticket holders and Connacht Christmas Three package holders only, no general sale tickets.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

the spoofer wrote: January 4th, 2022, 7:56 pm Just heard Laurence D wondering how English clubs can compete against Leinster with or £10 or £15m budget.
I believe that Dayglo may be comparing apples to grapefruits
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 4th, 2022, 11:48 pm
the spoofer wrote: January 4th, 2022, 7:56 pm Just heard Laurence D wondering how English clubs can compete against Leinster with or £10 or £15m budget.
Isn't that figure for the Leinster branch as a whole, not the professional team?
Anyone But New Zealand
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

FLIP wrote: January 5th, 2022, 8:11 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 4th, 2022, 11:48 pm
Isn't that figure for the Leinster branch as a whole, not the professional team?
LD forgets that Marquee and academy players are not included in the salary cap. More like comparing apples and elephants.

I just scanned the salary cap regs. The £5m is a load of cr@p.

£5m basic salary cap
£100,000 academy cap
Two excluded players
£80,000 credit for EPS, home grown players or international players (Max per player)

On an extremely rough basis:

So say take Leinster where we have say 13 internationals, we would have a cap of £5,000,000+£100,000+£1,040,000 =€7.25m excluding say TF & JS.

On top of that the RFU pay match fees of £23,000 per game. That would take a lot of heat off our salary cap if the system was comparable here, say 10 players at €25,000 per game X 8 games a year = €2m. That brings our comparable wage budget to about €10m excluding TF and JS.

Add them in and you are around €11M. That's a far cry from the £5m that LD talks about.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Blue not red blood wrote: January 4th, 2022, 8:15 pm This 5000 limit is a joke.

Madness to have restrictions for outdoor events. England have had the most lax rules out of the lot of us and have been the least affected when it comes to games getting postponed.