Leinster v Bath Sat 11th December 3.15 Aviva

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Bath Sat 11th December 3.15 Aviva

Post by wixfjord »

TBP should be the priority here given Bath's form.

Injury pending, I'd go with:
Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Ryan, Molony, Doris, VDF, Conan, JGP, Harry, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, Larmour, Keenan
Sheehan, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Baird, Rhys, McGrath, Ross, JOB

Am assuming Conan, JGP, Ryan are fit and Sexton isn't. Although I still think it's worth giving Harry a start if Sexton is available.

Would have no issues with Adam Byrne starting either.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Bath Sat 11th December 3.15 Aviva

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: December 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm TBP should be the priority here given Bath's form.

Injury pending, I'd go with:
Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Ryan, Molony, Doris, VDF, Conan, JGP, Harry, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, Larmour, Keenan
Sheehan, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Baird, Rhys, McGrath, Ross, JOB

Am assuming Conan, JGP, Ryan are fit and Sexton isn't. Although I still think it's worth giving Harry a start if Sexton is available.

Would have no issues with Adam Byrne starting either.
My thinking entirely!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I'd probably give the No23 jersey to Frawley ahead of Jimmy - Frawley has played so much more rugby this season and he kind of covers the same positions as Jimmy, just with a different emphasis.

I think that Tommy might have a shout as well ... I think that there is a real will to give him a selection push this season. The early part of his career has been really badly impacted by injury but he is still a big-time talent and I think his mindset [like Ed Byrne's] is really respected in the group.
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

I'd like to see Harry and Frawley starting along with Conners at 7.

Then bring back RB, Henshaw and VDF for the following week.

Bath have played 9, won 0 in the league so not much of a threat.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm I'd probably give the No23 jersey to Frawley ahead of Jimmy - Frawley has played so much more rugby this season and he kind of covers the same positions as Jimmy, just with a different emphasis.

I think that Tommy might have a shout as well ... I think that there is a real will to give him a selection push this season. The early part of his career has been really badly impacted by injury but he is still a big-time talent and I think his mindset [like Ed Byrne's] is really respected in the group.
Not sure you can have Ross & Frawley as your 22/23.
Frawley really only covers 10/12 and 15 at a push. JOB covers 15, wing and 13 at a push.

TOB might be a better fit though considering you have Larmour on the pitch to cover full back.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:24 pm
hugonaut wrote: December 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm I'd probably give the No23 jersey to Frawley ahead of Jimmy - Frawley has played so much more rugby this season and he kind of covers the same positions as Jimmy, just with a different emphasis.

Not sure you can have Ross & Frawley as your 22/23.
Frawley really only covers 10/12 and 15 at a push. JOB covers 15, wing and 13 at a push.

TOB might be a better fit though considering you have Larmour on the pitch to cover full back.
Yeah, it's doubling up really ... a bit too much overlap.

Part of me would like to see us go with Frawley at No22 [to cover 12/10/15 in that order] and then TOB at No23 [to cover 11,13,14] which seems ideal in one way, but I don't see how Ross or Harry Byrne could treat it as anything other than a snub if they were left out. In squad management terms you have made a bit of a problem for yourself there.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Bath have been terrible this year and Leinster should make a statement on Saturday both in terms of performance and points.
Regarding selection, Wixfjord isn’t far off what I expect but it seems unlikely that Ryan will play. I’d like to see Molony and Baird play. Selection at 10 is really interesting, selecting Harry would be a strong statement of endorsement. I’d like to see him get a good hour but really hope that JS is back for the away trip to Montpellier, when we’ll have to be at our best. I’d also like to see Frawley on the bench.
Excitement is building nicely as we enter a run of big matches and it’s time for the team to step it up a level.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

The opposition fans don't exactly have a lot of faith here.

https://m.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/ ... 9,17082660
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote: December 6th, 2021, 8:11 am The opposition fans don't exactly have a lot of faith here.

Tough scene. Obviously they're having a pretty full scale injury crisis along with a general collapse in form.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Yikes didn't realise both Spencer & Cipriani came off injured.

If they're not available on Sat this could be a proper thumping.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

hugonaut wrote: December 6th, 2021, 8:53 am
CiaranIrl wrote: December 6th, 2021, 8:11 am The opposition fans don't exactly have a lot of faith here.

Tough scene. Obviously they're having a pretty full scale injury crisis along with a general collapse in form.
They are having an absolutely awful season and are at the bottom of the league (by far). If form is a guide we could put 50 points on them. With this in mind, this could be a game for the coaches to mix things up a bit particularly on the bench.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I don't see what we would be resting frontliners for if we aren't going to play them here. We need to keep building cohesion ahead of bigger tests in the future. Obviously don't risk anyone carrying even a mild knock, but other than that, go full bore.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I wonder does the fact we needed to play Tadhg against Ulster mean he might have to sit on the bench for this one?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: December 6th, 2021, 10:29 am I wonder does the fact we needed to play Tadhg against Ulster mean he might have to sit on the bench for this one?
Possibly, goes back to Mike Alaalatoa being released for Barbarians game that never was.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CiaranIrl wrote: December 6th, 2021, 10:23 am I don't see what we would be resting frontliners for if we aren't going to play them here. We need to keep building cohesion ahead of bigger tests in the future. Obviously don't risk anyone carrying even a mild knock, but other than that, go full bore.
That's true but there are guys who are now involved with the national squad who at some point need to be moved up a level to Champions Cup rugby. Bath are a very poor side at the moment so I'd hope we'd get some movement there from the bench at least. Montpellier is a much tougher prospect so probably no room for error there.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I'd keep Furlong on the bench for this one, same with Kelleher and keep them ready for Montpellier. Magic Mike and Dan the Man should be enough to do the business here. The other 2 played a lot of test matches recently it's not like they need to brought up to speed for Champions Cup
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Flash Gordon wrote: December 6th, 2021, 11:28 am
wixfjord wrote: December 6th, 2021, 10:29 am I wonder does the fact we needed to play Tadhg against Ulster mean he might have to sit on the bench for this one?
Possibly, goes back to Mike Alaalatoa being released for Barbarians game that never was.
So, just to be clear, the reason the Mike Alaalatoa should not have been released to play for his country is because the game vs the BaBas was cancelled due to Covid?

I just want to be sure I’m reading this correctly
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 6th, 2021, 12:25 pm
So, just to be clear, the reason the Mike Alaalatoa should not have been released to play for his country is because the game vs the BaBas was cancelled due to Covid?

Errr no. That's not what I said, do you really think me or anyone else would suggest that he shouldn't have been released because we should have known that the Barbarians would have a covid outbreak? Mike was released to play the Barbarians game so therefore Furlong had to play after returning from international duty, that's what happened. Furlong has time he is allowed to play for us and rest time given he's an Ireland player. If he used that time playing after international duty that comes out of the allocation.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RoboProp wrote: December 6th, 2021, 11:49 am I'd keep Furlong on the bench for this one, same with Kelleher and keep them ready for Montpellier. Magic Mike and Dan the Man should be enough to do the business here. The other 2 played a lot of test matches recently it's not like they need to brought up to speed for Champions Cup
Would be happy enough with that scenario. As you say, the lads have been playing high intensity rugby for weeks a prop isn't like a half back play maker....although sometimes Tadhg's dancing feet and offloading would suggest otherwise!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 6th, 2021, 12:25 pm

What the feck are you on about? How would you get that from what Flash said?