Mullet

Re: Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:13 pm
Laighin Break wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:47 pm
Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:06 pm
Very predictable Ostrich response.
So you seriously think that.
A. The civil servants are going to carry out such a study.
B. Publish any adverse observations.
So you just made that up. Very good
Yep but not without some hard evidence for believing it's quite likely to happen.
Take Slaintecare as example.
A number of the top people involved resign
Next "day" you and I are told 97% of the "items" for implementation have been achieved.
So why did the resignations happen if things are going so swimmingly.
Brilliant :lol: :lol:
A quick recap:
OS: ...there are already some signs that kids in Irish schools are struggling with their reading levels of English.
LB: ...You made that up...
OS: ...Yep but... it's likely to happen [insert example of something completely irrelevant]
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Laighin Break wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:22 pm
Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:13 pm
Laighin Break wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:47 pm

So you just made that up. Very good
Yep but not without some hard evidence for believing it's quite likely to happen.
Take Slaintecare as example.
A number of the top people involved resign
Next "day" you and I are told 97% of the "items" for implementation have been achieved.
So why did the resignations happen if things are going so swimmingly.
Brilliant Glad you agree.
A quick recap:
OS: ...there are already some signs that kids in Irish schools are struggling with their reading levels of English.
LB: ...You made that up...
OS: ...Yep but... it's likely to happen [insert example of something completely irrelevant]
I think you are possibly the only person in the country who thinks Slaintecare is irrelevant.
Slaintecare - The irony - Gaelge and English
Last edited by Oldschool on October 26th, 2021, 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Primary school is already getting late for learning a language.

Fund naonrai and make it relatively accommodating for parents with weak/no Irish. Even ECCE hours would be enough for pretty much fluency.

To show off do primary school in Irish and a foreign language in after school. Kids would have 3 languages and their parents would teach 1.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:41 pm Primary school is already getting late for learning a language.

Fund naonrai and make it relatively accommodating for parents with weak/no Irish. Even ECCE hours would be enough for pretty much fluency.

To show off do primary school in Irish and a foreign language in after school. Kids would have 3 languages and their parents would teach 1.
Have you discussed this with the parents?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Laighin Break wrote: October 26th, 2021, 7:45 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: October 26th, 2021, 7:04 pm Free State? Are you living in the 1920s or a member of the IRA in the 1980s?
He also likes to use the term the british isles (see Connacht thread), just trying to be a WUM. Best not to bite
I bite when someone calls the state the "Irish Republic" or "Republic of Ireland".

Well then and when people use fake Latin plurals for English (or Greek) words. That really gets me going!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:43 pm
ronk wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:41 pm Primary school is already getting late for learning a language.

Yes. I've discussed it with every parent in the country. Whyever do you ask?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:47 pm
Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:43 pm

Yes. I've discussed it with every parent in the country. Whyever do you ask?
Because people have a habit of making outrageous claims (I've recently been accused of doing just that) so I just wanted to make sure you were speaking with your usual authority.
No offense intended.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

My understanding based on experts I've spoken to is that 8-10 hours a week is enough for fluency. I've seen it done but it took unusual dedication.

There are Naonrai but they're hard to get into and they're not really pitched towards non-practicing parents. They serve their market and that's fair enough.

I believe there's a larger market, a much larger one, that would tick a box if it was that simple as choosing their preference. I understand it would take huge efforts from others to give parents that choice.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I love this idea. The vast majority of people I know have a lot of love for the language, even if they can't speak it that well. You get the occasional old-school out there, but they're far and few between thankfully. I'd say that there would be a lot of support for this, and the country needs to do more in the childcare space.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So simple question.
Why isn't it happening?
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Is this not a rugby forum?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:20 pm So simple question.
Why isn't it happening?
The simple answer. Policies in Ireland tend to be stroke of a pen ones like ECCE or free GP care for under 7s. Announce free places and let people scramble for them.

Ones that require skillful balance and organisation are unlikely to happen. Hence addressing affordable childcare and housing are intractable problems. Or why building Children's and Maternity white elephants have become bogged down farces.

There aren't over ten thousand fluent Irish speakers willing or trained to work in a Montessori for Montessori money. So it's hard.

The kind of activists who could create the political momentum aren't going to fight for this. Dedicated Irish speakers don't need to make a big push for this.

If it was just a question of writing a cheque that isn't scandalously large then it would be a runner.

But that's the point. Gaelscoleanna numbers would go way way up if you could send your kid to one but not have to help them with Irish homework or feel shamed about not trying.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Barry wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:30 pm Is this not a rugby forum?

Ask me again 1 month from tomorrow.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Barry wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:30 pm Is this not a rugby forum?

Yes, but some of us went off an a tangent...... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Jeepers haven't checked this thread in a couple of days and look what has happened......tangent is a bit of an understatement....

Mind you I think it's a positive sign as it shows during the long autumn break with no Leinsterrrrr really there isn't anything else worth talking about bar some random discussion which has been had a thousand times before about the Irish language...

Roll on our next match with fingers crossed that Farrell doesn't break any of the lads.....as he experiments with his Junior B coaching strategies.....box kick and give it to the big lad being two of his cornerstones.

If he starts POM in any of the games I might not bother watching any of them.....
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Blueberry wrote: October 27th, 2021, 12:41 am Jeepers haven't checked this thread in a couple of days and look what has happened......tangent is a bit of an understatement....

Mind you I think it's a positive sign as it shows during the long autumn break with no Leinsterrrrr really there isn't anything else worth talking about bar some random discussion which has been had a thousand times before about the Irish language...

Roll on our next match with fingers crossed that Farrell doesn't break any of the lads.....as he experiments with his Junior B coaching strategies.....box kick and give it to the big lad being two of his cornerstones.

If he starts POM in any of the games I might not bother watching any of them.....
This month long break is an awful pain...
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Blueberry wrote: October 27th, 2021, 12:41 am Jeepers haven't checked this thread in a couple of days and look what has happened......tangent is a bit of an understatement....

Yeah, but if he needs someone to create strategic interruptions in play by supposedly having to tie their bootlaces and taking a godawful long time about it, while having a little drink and scowling around the place?......
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dexter wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:11 am

I think the last half dozen posts offer a partial solution for the pain of the break or indeed as an alternative to watching POM in action?
Try using Duo to learn another language, you won't regret it.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote: October 27th, 2021, 1:18 pm
Dexter wrote: October 27th, 2021, 9:11 am

I think the last half dozen posts offer a partial solution for the pain of the break or indeed as an alternative to watching POM in action?
Try using Duo to learn another language, you won't regret it.
Preaching to the converted?.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:59 pm I thought it was a really excellent performance from us, and another example of how the league has changed. I didn't realise quite how big the effect of not playing league games during international windows would have on selections outside those windows.

With the exceptions of the injured James Ryan, Robbie Henshaw, Jonny Sexton and the rested Andrew Porter, that was as strong a matchday 23 as we could field ... so really only one player rotated out for rest.
And we hamnmered them 5-0 as we did Scarlets the week before. THey didn't even look like scoring until Keenans flying double to the head. At the risk of angering the mockers we could have a top seed wrapped up by April and be back to blooding youngsters before the playoffs. The more things change the more they stay the same.

I can see the calls for some kind of byzantine wage cap encompassing 3 currencies, 4 tax codes and 5 unions.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles