Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by wixfjord »

A 6 day turnaround to a Friday night in Scotstoun makes this a potentially sticky one.
Glasgow have won 3/4 so far, but with three wins against Sharks, Lions and Zebre away and a loss against Ulster away.
So we'll be the biggest challenge they've had at home so far.

Given the contracted league format it's important to grab a win, so would like to see us going with a mix of first and second string. Plus, we won't have a game for over a month now.

Something like:
Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Baird, Toner, Rhys, Penny, Conan, Luke, Ross, Lowe, Frawley, TOB, Larmour, JOB
Sheehan, Dooley, Mike, Molony, Murphy, McCarthy, Harry?, Ringer

I think Faz might want to see Healy start a game at 1 and Keenan has played a lot of rugby so would give him a rest.
I'd go with Josh & Molony benching as we seem to like a good maul on this particular pitch, and not sure I'd risk Leavy's knees.

I increasingly think we need Frawley at 12 when we've Ross at 10, to give the attack a bit of direction.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Friday 7.35 Premier/TG4

Post by cormac »

Scotland have a game the following weekend so possible that Glasgow may lose a few players for this match
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

I'd like to see us go full strength, Glasgow aren't a team to be messed with especially at home. Id like to see:

Furlong
Kelleher
Porter
Ryan
Baird
Doris
Leavy
Conan
JPG
Sexton
Frawley
Henshaw
Lowe
AByrne
Keenan

Teams like Saracens are looking really powerful up front, and we're gonna need a monster pack like this to be playing well and cohesively together by the time we're meeting them and the other big french teams
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Experimental wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:44 am I'd like to see us go full strength, Glasgow aren't a team to be messed with especially at home. Id like to see:

Furlong
Kelleher
Porter
Ryan
Baird
Doris
Leavy
Conan
JPG
Sexton
Frawley
Henshaw
Lowe
AByrne
Keenan

Teams like Saracens are looking really powerful up front, and we're gonna need a monster pack like this to be playing well and cohesively together by the time we're meeting them and the other big french teams
I'm not sure Ryan/Baird is our first choice second row pairing but I agree that Frawley/Henshaw might be our first choice centre pairing.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Experimental wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:44 am I'd like to see us go full strength, Glasgow aren't a team to be messed with especially at home. Id like to see:

Furlong
Kelleher
Porter
Ryan
Baird
Doris
Leavy
Conan
JPG
Sexton
Frawley
Henshaw
Lowe
AByrne
Keenan

Doubt if you'll see Sexton. Even if he's 100% I'd say Faz will have seen enough of him thusfar to want him rested!

Unlikely to happen but I'd love to see how a Frawley, Henshaw, Ringrose 10/12/13 would go!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Doesn't sound like Robbie will be available, he's a doubt for the November internationals.

(Also we, thankfully, won't be meeting Saracens this year anyway!)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-iss ... d=21GL0617

Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of the Round 5 United Rugby Championship clash with Glasgow Warriors on Friday at Scotstoun Stadium (KO 7.35pm – live on TG4, Premier Sports and URC TV).

Friday’s game will be the final game in the current block of games before the break for the Autumn Internationals.

Following the break, Leinster Rugby are next in action in Round 6 of the United Rugby Championship on 27 November against Ulster Rugby in the RDS Arena.

There is a positive update today on a number of players who will return to training this week after injury but still require further assessment before selection at the weekend.

Cullen also gave an update on the injuries after the game against Scarlets at the weekend.

Caelan Doris (calf) and Ciarán Frawley (dead leg) both came through the game with no issues and will train as normal this week.

Jack Dunne (ankle) and Scott Penny (dead leg) have both returned to full training, with Dunne lining out at the weekend with Dublin University in the Energia All-Ireland League.

There are a number of players who remain in contention for selection at the weekend but require further assessment on their return from injury or after the game at the weekend.

In that bracket is Harry Byrne who will return to training today after a hip injury, as will Dave Kearney who is back training after an ankle injury.

Jimmy O’Brien was a late withdrawal from the match day squad against Scarlets due to illness and will be further assessed this week.

Rory O’Loughlin is another who will return to training today after a shoulder injury and will be further assessed during the week.

James Ryan has entered the Graduated Return to Play Protocols and will be further assessed during the week, while Johnny Sexton will have further assessment on a hip injury today before a final call is made on his availability for selection.

Cullen also revealed over the weekend that Robbie Henshaw had picked up a foot injury and as a result he will be unavailable for selection this week but in positive news, he will take some part in training this week as the medics continue to monitor his progress.

There are no further updates on Michael Milne (calf), Will Connors (knee) and Thomas Clarkson (hamstring).
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Good to see the further reduction in the "no further update" group, although the potential "week too soon" grouping has grown.

Going on that press release I'd say there's very little chance of either Ryan or Sexton travelling to Scotland. Dave Kearney unlikely to feature either but good to see him back.

We could do with an A fixture or two during the four-week break. No AIL games on the weekend of 12-14 November so would seem an ideal time for one.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Experimental wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:44 am
JPG
Sexton
Frawley
Henshaw
Injury update not looking good for Henshaw... but I have to say that, watching on Saturday, I did wonder if this might be (or become) our best midfield.
Sexton and Frawley really seem to be combining very well, and Henshaw gives you a bit more physicality that you might need with Frawley playing (not that he's short or shies off contact).
Not in any way a criticism of Ringrose: it just seems like a combo with a lot to offer.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That's the most positive injury update I've seen in a while (assuming JS injury isn't serious).
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'd be sorry for whoever Trinity are playing the the AIL given how long Dunne has been waiting to deliver his "fitness update" to Leo and his fellow coaches
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

wixfjord wrote: October 18th, 2021, 9:09 am A 6 day turnaround to a Friday night in Scotstoun makes this a potentially sticky one.
Glasgow have won 3/4 so far, but with three wins against Sharks, Lions and Zebre away and a loss against Ulster away.
So we'll be the biggest challenge they've had at home so far.

Given the contracted league format it's important to grab a win, so would like to see us going with a mix of first and second string. Plus, we won't have a game for over a month now.

Something like:
Healy, Kelleher, Furlong, Baird, Toner, Rhys, Penny, Conan, Luke, Ross, Lowe, Frawley, TOB, Larmour, JOB
Sheehan, Dooley, Mike, Molony, Murphy, McCarthy, Harry?, Ringer

I think Faz might want to see Healy start a game at 1 and Keenan has played a lot of rugby so would give him a rest.
I'd go with Josh & Molony benching as we seem to like a good maul on this particular pitch, and not sure I'd risk Leavy's knees.

I increasingly think we need Frawley at 12 when we've Ross at 10, to give the attack a bit of direction.

I think this makes a lot of sense. Others who might challenge for inclusion in the 23 are Doris, COB and JGP.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

We'll need to be a lot more disciplined on this visit compared to the Rainbow Cup clash.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

. Image

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Pretty much a full selection for the 23, apart from Sexton, Ryan and Porter.
Bit of a shame not to see Tommy O'Brien involved - either on one of the wings or on the bench - but I guess it's Osborne's turn on the bench.

Is the selection of Ruddock and VDF on the bench a precaution because of the injury-prone players in the team or purely tactical?
Last edited by curates_egg on October 21st, 2021, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Wow, that's a much stronger side than I expected.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

For those who can't see graphics.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Hugo Keenan (33)
14. Adam Byrne (58)
13. Garry Ringrose (89)
12. Ciarán Frawley (39)
11. James Lowe (54)
10. Ross Byrne (107)
9. Luke McGrath (154) CAPTAIN

1. Cian Healy (235)
2. Rónan Kelleher (27)
3. Tadhg Furlong (115)
4. Ross Molony (120)
5. Ryan Baird (31)
6. Caelan Doris (42)
7. Dan Leavy (74)
8. Jack Conan (106)

Replacements:

16. Dan Sheehan (16)
17. Ed Byrne (73)
18. Michael Ala’alatoa (4)
19. Devin Toner (267)
20. Rhys Ruddock (192)
21. Jamison Gibson-Park (104)
22. Jamie Osborne (8)
23. Josh van der Flier (101)

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Very interesting side.

Clearly Faz wants time for Healy at LH.

And I wonder is Doris starting at 6 for two games in a row a nod to where he might feature in green too?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

1. Jamie Bhatti (51)
2. Johnny Matthews (14)
3. Zander Fagerson (101)
4. Rob Harley (254)
5. Richie Gray (65)
6. Ryan Wilson (C) (196)
7. Rory Darge (7)
8. Jack Dempsey (3)

9. Ali Price (97)
10. Duncan Weir (110)
11. Rufus McLean (13)
12. Sam Johnson (76)
13. Sione Tuipulotu (4)
14. Kyle Steyn (34)
15. Ross Thompson (18)

16. George Turner (63)
17. Oli Kebble (59)
18. Enrique Pieretto (21)
19. Lewis Bean (9)
20. Matt Fagerson (72)
21. George Horne (70)
22. Nick Grigg (93)
23. Cole Forbes (10)

Unavailable for selection: Simon Berghan, Fraser Brown, Scott Cummings, Tom Lambert, Kiran McDonald, Ewan McQuillin, Ratu Tagive.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Bookies have it Glasgow 9/2, Leinster 1/5 and the handicap is 15 points.