Leinster v Bulls Aviva Stadium 5.15 Sat 25th Sept TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Bulls Aviva Stadium 5.15 Sat 25th Sept TG4

Post by wixfjord »

Also worth listening to Ringrose right before the Ross Byrne try.

He's absolutely screaming at JVDF that he's on his shoulder and has space from before VDF even picks up the ball. So smart.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:41 am One of Adamson's calls that was total bullshit was the obstruction one on JGP.

He didn't move at all, Bulls player ran into him.
There will always be errors from officials. As long as they are consistent and are getting decisions right in the main then that’s all we can reasonably expect. I thought on second viewing that Adamson was fine, and the points above about him not delaying things too much are true too.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:32 amLuke must have run close to fullback type numbers. We were obviously looking for inside balls but they showed how flat Sexton was playing too.
84m. Their left wing was next highest on 57.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

molloyjh wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:07 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:41 am One of Adamson's calls that was total bullshit was the obstruction one on JGP.

There will always be errors from officials. As long as they are consistent and are getting decisions right in the main then that’s all we can reasonably expect. I thought on second viewing that Adamson was fine, and the points above about him not delaying things too much are true too.
What did you think of that call?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

molloyjh wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:10 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:32 amLuke must have run close to fullback type numbers. We were obviously looking for inside balls but they showed how flat Sexton was playing too.
84m. Their left wing was next highest on 57.
Thanks! And he was taken off early too.

RE the ref, there were times where he went back for penalties and I had no idea he had been playing advantage.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Thought VDF was brilliant, definitely deserved mom
McGrath - passing again but tbf he had a good few positives. Still think JGP should be first choice.
Support play was a big work from last season so good to see a big improvement there.
Team, for a first game of the season was very well prepared.
Lowe - not sure if he actually understands the basics of the game in terms of wing play and isn't learning.
Pack - good performance and knuckled down well.
Experiments - Healy to TH (off the bench) went well but it's early days.
Great to see the young guys doing so well.
Great to see the golden oldies doing well too.
Last edited by Oldschool on September 26th, 2021, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:45 am

Sexton and McGrath at half-back were a revelation. Their short-passing interplay allowed McGrath to demonstrate his excellent open-field running in a manner not seen since his under-age years. When the Leinster mid-field and back-row become attuned to what he can do and establish the link with him, he could become as lethal as Dupont.

Now I'm all for positivity, but...!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:15 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:45 am

Sexton and McGrath at half-back were a revelation. Their short-passing interplay allowed McGrath to demonstrate his excellent open-field running in a manner not seen since his under-age years. When the Leinster mid-field and back-row become attuned to what he can do and establish the link with him, he could become as lethal as Dupont.

Now I'm all for positivity, but...!!
Hmmm let me pause for thought.
Ah feck it but you're right.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

wixfjord wrote: September 26th, 2021, 11:42 am Also worth listening to Ringrose right before the Ross Byrne try.

He's absolutely screaming at JVDF that he's on his shoulder and has space from before VDF even picks up the ball. So smart.
Thought Ringrose was really generally excellent, hopefully signals a return to his absolute best.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I'd be fairly sure this was the Assistant Ref's call as play continued for a bit before it was brought back, and Adamson was looking over at the AR.
They never showed a replay but it definitely looked like a bullshit call on first watch.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

wixfjord wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:10 pm

I honestly don’t remember it so can’t comment on it specifically.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

molloyjh wrote: September 26th, 2021, 2:29 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 26th, 2021, 12:10 pm

I honestly don’t remember it so can’t comment on it specifically.
Hmm....
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its not an offence to 'obstruct' another player per se - you are under no obligation to get out of another players way (provided you are in an onside position), but you are obliged to not deliberately get into a players way in such a way as to prevent them playing the ball/making a tackle. So Obstruction as an act of foul play is very much in the eye of the official who makes the call.

In this case JGP is onside, he gets to his 'end-position' a reasonable period of time before the opposiing player arrives and doesn't move from it - it could be argued that the Bulls player runs into him and not the other way around (and that would be my position on it).

However he does "intentionally prevent an opponent from tackling or attempting to tackle the ball-carrier."

So, while I wouldn't have given a penalty, it being given wasn't exactly an egregious call - its one of those thats very much in the eye of the beholder.

In terms of Adamson, it's pretty clear that it was a TJ call - looking at it again he doesn't appear to have a clear line of sight on it and is okay with what happens, theres a ruck, then at the ruck he gets accidentally knocked over by a Bulls player, then a further five passes before the pen is given. Definitely a call from the sideline. In terms of critiqing Adamsons performance, I wouldn't want to live or die on the alter of this particular call - he didn't make it and it's a bit of an angels on the head of a pin job
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

If it was TJ's call then fair enough, but whoever made it, it's a bad one.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Surprised at the lack of commentary on James Ryan’s performance. I thought he was outstanding. He got through a mountain of work.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Good point, he was excellent.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

calf injury for Caelan Doris according to brendan fanning.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote: September 27th, 2021, 8:06 am Surprised at the lack of commentary on James Ryan’s performance. I thought he was outstanding. He got through a mountain of work.
I thought so too.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

leinsterfan100 wrote: September 25th, 2021, 7:41 pm What's the story with the bars being closed....is that part of the restrictions ? 🤦
I think it is part of the restrictions. It's difficult to have social distancing in a queue for a bar. People would also be standing around indoors without face masks drinking. I would have murdered a few pints, but was just happy to be at a match again.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Worth another look. JVDF running over the FB is a thing of beauty! Pity the posts blocked some of the view.

To be honest I though JVDF had reached his ceiling a couple of seasons ago (in fairness it was a pretty high ceiling anyway) but he's just taken off again. Great to see guys like him and Maloney still on an upward curve.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1442436354294665216