Leinster v Bulls Aviva Stadium 5.15 Sat 25th Sept TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Bulls Aviva Stadium 5.15 Sat 25th Sept TG4

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: September 27th, 2021, 9:35 pm
the spoofer wrote: September 27th, 2021, 8:10 pm The penalty against Molony for in front of the kicker. Was he not put onside by the chasers. Seemed like a weird one.
Molony jogged forward then sprinted when he was played onside. It's almost never called but Molony isn't in position to receive the ball later if he goes full stop and start.

Even then it's the sort of call that makes you think the ref hates your guts. And we got pinged a lot.
The one against JVDF for sealing off was even more daft. He was driven off his feet by a Bulls player. There just seemed to be a load of 50/50's that went against us while some cut and dried (one where a Bulls player made the tackle, we drove over the ruck, he got up, never onside and tackled McGrath) weren't given. Even on watch back I thought we got a really hard time from ref.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

the spoofer wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:43 am
ronk wrote: September 27th, 2021, 9:35 pm
the spoofer wrote: September 27th, 2021, 8:10 pm The penalty against Molony for in front of the kicker. Was he not put onside by the chasers. Seemed like a weird one.
Molony jogged forward then sprinted when he was played onside. It's almost never called but Molony isn't in position to receive the ball later if he goes full stop and start.

Even then it's the sort of call that makes you think the ref hates your guts. And we got pinged a lot.
The one against JVDF for sealing off was even more daft. He was driven off his feet by a Bulls player. There just seemed to be a load of 50/50's that went against us while some cut and dried (one where a Bulls player made the tackle, we drove over the ruck, he got up, never onside and tackled McGrath) weren't given. Even on watch back I thought we got a really hard time from ref.
He reminded me of when Fr. Redmond used to be reffing us. He would start giving penalties against us for the most makey uppy reasons if he thought we were winning by too much. Just to give the other lads a chance.

Sound man and a decent teacher, I’m still salty about a penalty he gave against me for pushing too hard in a scrum in 1990 though :lol: :lol: :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:00 am Yeah, I was convinced by the replay that it was a good call at the time. He had a good game, and really looks different, but he maybe didn't have quite enough match fitness to do his part there.

I'm sure it won't happen again. There seems to be a real desire to improve this year. I may be reading too much into changes in players physiques and their willingness to move, and the fact that three of our players that you would have felt were lions starters before last ason didn't travel, but I get a sense of a lot of difficult reflection turned into angry self improvement.
Th42 had a gif here. https://www.the42.ie/leinster-bulls-ana ... 4-Sep2021/

Looks like Molony was advancing because he was a dummy runner and came to a full stop. I think it was more of a looked offside than actually was.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: September 28th, 2021, 8:40 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:00 am Yeah, I was convinced by the replay that it was a good call at the time. He had a good game, and really looks different, but he maybe didn't have quite enough match fitness to do his part there.

I'm sure it won't happen again. There seems to be a real desire to improve this year. I may be reading too much into changes in players physiques and their willingness to move, and the fact that three of our players that you would have felt were lions starters before last ason didn't travel, but I get a sense of a lot of difficult reflection turned into angry self improvement.

Looks like Molony was advancing because he was a dummy runner and came to a full stop. I think it was more of a looked offside than actually was.
Was Molony not put inside by Doris though? Or did he need to retreat behind Sexton before advancing?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 28th, 2021, 10:46 pm

Was Molony not put inside by Doris though? Or did he need to retreat behind Sexton before advancing?
He was put on, but he was penalised for advanced before he was played on. He was outside 10m so the requirement to retreat didn’t apply.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

/behind
I don't think he has to retreat to level with or behind the player who kicked, but he has to move towards his own goal line (or standing still might be good enough) until a player who was behind the kicker draws level with him. He doesn't have a whole lot of time to slow up before Doris runs past him. Others have mentioned the 10m thing, but I think he'd still technically have been in the wrong even if he was more than 10m from where the ball landed. It's one of those ones it's annoying to get picked up on, but I don't think there's any question of the officials getting it wrong.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

ronk wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:33 pm

He was put on, but he was penalised for advanced before he was played on. He was outside 10m so the requirement to retreat didn’t apply.
But anyone ahead of the kicker has to retreat, surely? You see forwards getting picked up for not retreating sometimes during bouts of kick tennis.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Cant advance
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

At least he must instantly stop - he must not advance and should retreat towards his own goal line. That's been the offside Law for a decade now. What has changed, at least in interpretation, is the 10m rule I.e, a player within 10m of where the ball is coming down from a kick, MUST retire outside of that 10m distance.

Ever since the Exeter V Leinster EPCR game, Refs have progressively been allowing players remain within that 10m area, so long as they don't attempt to play the ball. I cite that game because it was the first occasion I noticed the short box-kick being used to maneuver the full-back to come a long way to collect the ball. It was subsequently defended more often by the scrum-half competing for those box-kicks.

However, Ross could not have been "put on-side" by any other player - without first retreating.