The Leinster Backrow preview 2021/22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: The Leinster Backrow preview 2021/22

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:32 am Yeah i'd be gutted to see Leavy leave.

that reckless clearout really ruined his career.
+1
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:43 am
CiaranIrl wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:42 am
mildlyinterested wrote: February 8th, 2022, 8:23 am

presumably Tom Clarkson.
I guess you're right. It just seems like we're going to be in huge trouble if we ever get an injury.
if the rumours are true, it would appear so yes.
We'll just have to hope, that Temi Lasisi's progress thru the ranks is as meteoric as we're hoping Jack Boyle's is going to be.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

riocard911 wrote: February 8th, 2022, 10:23 am
mildlyinterested wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:43 am
CiaranIrl wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:42 am

I guess you're right. It just seems like we're going to be in huge trouble if we ever get an injury.
if the rumours are true, it would appear so yes.
We'll just have to hope, that Temi Lasisi's progress thru the ranks is as meteoric as we're hoping Jack Boyle's is going to be.
Jack Boyle looks as nailed on as James Ryan did.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

CiaranIrl wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:28 am I have to say, I'd be gutted if Leavy leaves Leinster. I could live with the rest of the names leaving, but there's something about Leavy that really wants me to see him at Leinster for his whole career. He just seems like he bleeds blue, that he cares about the team down to his core. Pure passion and belief, and that intangible stuff is more important to me than the cold hard stats sometimes. I don't care if Connors or Penny or whoever would play more often, or if his injury history means he won't ever play a long run of games. He's just an inspirational figure. The kind of lad that when he lifts a trophy you get a buzz out of just seeing the look on his face.
I would love to see Leavy return to playing 70% of games but unfortunately even since returning initially he has really struggled to get time free from injury let alone string games together.

An easy emotional decision but a much harder economic one.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

CiaranIrl wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:28 am I have to say, I'd be gutted if Leavy leaves Leinster. I could live with the rest of the names leaving, but there's something about Leavy that really wants me to see him at Leinster for his whole career. He just seems like he bleeds blue, that he cares about the team down to his core. Pure passion and belief, and that intangible stuff is more important to me than the cold hard stats sometimes. I don't care if Connors or Penny or whoever would play more often, or if his injury history means he won't ever play a long run of games. He's just an inspirational figure. The kind of lad that when he lifts a trophy you get a buzz out of just seeing the look on his face.
It will be a very, very sad day if Dan Leavy leaves Leinster prematurely.

I’ll only believe it when I see it confirmed. Till then we can hope it’s just speculation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

riocard911 wrote: February 8th, 2022, 10:19 am
mildlyinterested wrote: February 8th, 2022, 9:32 am Yeah i'd be gutted to see Leavy leave.

+1
There was no issue with the clearout, let's not start down that route.

It was an unfortunate injury caused by his knee getting caught and twisted in a ruck.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: February 9th, 2022, 5:20 pm

+1

It was an unfortunate injury caused by his knee getting caught and twisted in a ruck.
twas in from the side
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 9th, 2022, 6:17 pm

+1

twas in from the side
It was borderline a penalty, the type of thing you see at a lot of rucks and that we do constantly even now.

It wasn't malicious, dirty or reckless. The issue was Leavy's knee got trapped under another player and twisted around unfortunately.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

+1

twas in from the side
This is my memory of it too. The only reason it wasn't a penalty is that they are very rarely given IMO.
Dont Panic!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

+1

twas in from the side
It was a horrible clearout
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 9th, 2022, 10:40 pm

twas in from the side
+1
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 9th, 2022, 10:40 pm

twas in from the side
You might want to remember it that way to blame someone, but it actually wasn't.

Here's the incident in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuG2cF ... el=devinZA

What's horrible about that? This sort of thing happens constantly in a game. It's probably a penalty for in from the side, but certainly nothing malicious or reckless.

The issue is Leavy's leg gets trapped under McCloskey/Herbst and O'Sullivan twists him causing the injury unfortunately.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

wixfjord wrote: February 10th, 2022, 8:47 am

You might want to remember it that way to blame someone, but it actually wasn't.

What's horrible about that? This sort of thing happens constantly in a game. It's probably a penalty for in from the side, but certainly nothing malicious or reckless.

The issue is Leavy's leg gets trapped under McCloskey/Herbst and O'Sullivan twists him causing the injury unfortunately.

I'm glad I never shared a pitch with you if you think that a clearout like that is acceptable....

You'd do well to reassess your opinions if you think a 120kg man coming in at page with no regard for where he puts his body isn't at the very least reckless.

That's all I'm saying on the matter.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 1:56 pm

I'm glad I never shared a pitch with you if you think that a clearout like that is acceptable....

You'd do well to reassess your opinions if you think a 120kg man coming in at page with no regard for where he puts his body isn't at the very least reckless.

You mean what happens at almost every single ruck in a game?

What was reckless about EOS clearout specifically?

There's been a lot of big claims, but nobody actually specifying what the problem was, besides being in from the side.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

It was Herbsts clearout that was reckless.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: February 10th, 2022, 1:56 pm

It's a definite pen IMO, look at the position of the prop just before the clear out, at a 90 degree angle to the ruck.
Of course it wasn't intentional but that's irrelevant, it ended up causing a huge amount of damage. I've no idea why this isn't penalised more stringently, does my head in.
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 10th, 2022, 2:37 pm It was Herbsts clearout that was reckless.
Why?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: February 10th, 2022, 2:47 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: February 10th, 2022, 2:37 pm It was Herbsts clearout that was reckless.
Why?
Dives in to clearout while off his feet and out off control.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 10th, 2022, 2:50 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 10th, 2022, 2:47 pm
Why?
Dives in to clearout while off his feet and out off control.
Herbst doesn't even ruck Leavy, he binds on Fardy, who moves out of the way and he loses his feet, which traps Leavy's leg and EOS, rucking from the other side does the damage. There's no speed or recklessness at all.

Like we can all agree it's unfortunate, but it doesn't need to be a blame game. It's the risk every player takes in every ruck.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

wixfjord wrote: February 7th, 2022, 6:56 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: February 7th, 2022, 6:44 pm lots of rumours going around that there will be several players departing from leinsters backrow.
Yes, according to a poster on Planet Rugby, which is where I assume you're taking that info from:
Dooley, Cronin, Vakh, Toner, Jack Dune, Charlie Ryan, Leavy, Josh Murphy (confirmed) and Deegan.
Ross to France
No idea how true that is or not.

Certainly Leavy, Deegan, Murphy would be the three most likely losses from backrow.

Complete speculation, correct that some will move such as Dunne and Murphy, others are likely to retire (Toner and Cronin) but I don’t believe some of the other names being thrown around.

Can’t see Vakh, Leavy or Deegan leaving, they’ve missed c. five years combined due to injury so of course they haven’t had game time. Vakh and Deegan have been rehabilitated and are getting matches. No side would sign Leavy at the moment given his medical report. Ross is the starting 10 in most matches for his boyhood club, which also happens to be one of the top 3 sides in Europe. He gets to train and play with his little brother, not sure why he would move.