The Leinster Front Row preview 2021/22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

elephantman
Knowledgeable

Re: The Leinster Front Row preview 2021/22

Post by elephantman »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 12th, 2022, 3:25 pm getting a bad vibe on Dan Sheehans leinster future...
This issue was settled before Christmas.

Where was the bad vibe coming from?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

What Leinsters front row depth chart looks like next season:

LH Prop
Andrew Porter(26/St. Andrews/UCD) - central contract until 2025
Cian Healy(34/Belvedere/Clontarf) - signed 2yr contract in 2022
Ed Byrne(28/Clongowes/UCD) - signed contract in 2022
Michael Milne(23/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD) - signed contract in 2022
--
Marcus Hanan(21/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 3
Jack Boyle(20/St. Michaels/UCD) - Academy Yr 2

Leinster need someone to push through and pressure Healy, that isn't Ed Byrne.. can it be Milne or one of the academy props?

Hooker
Ronan Kelleher(24/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2021
Dan Sheehan(23/Clongowes/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2020
James Tracy(31/Newbridge/UCD) - signed 2yr contract in 2021
--
John McKee(22/Campbell/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 2
Lee Barron(21/St. Michaels/DUFC) - Academy Yr 2

Is 5 hookers enough? Or might another body be needed with international commitments?

TH Prop
Tadhg Furlong(29/New Ross RFC/Clontarf) - central contract until 2025
Michael Alaalatoa(30) - signed contract in 2021
Vakh Abdaladze(26/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf) - signed contract in 2022
Tom Clarkson(22/Blackrock/DUFC) - signed contract in 2021
--
Temi Lasisi(21/Enniscorthy/Lansdowne) - Academy Yr 2
Rory McGuire(20/Blackrock/UCD) - Academy Yr 1

I guess the long term issue here is how long is Alaalatoa contracted with Leinster and who will be ready to step up to replace him when he leaves.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

What have you against Peter Dooley?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 26th, 2022, 12:31 pm What have you against Peter Dooley?
Nothing in fact i rate him much higher than Ed Byrne but it doesnt appear he will be a leinster player next season unfortunately.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

We need to keep Dooley, he’s hitting his best form. Boyle is highly rated and watching him play for the 20s he’s a really dynamic player with a good work rate. However, the scrum has been under pressure and he has been penalized on a few occasions. Is he a bit slight and lacking power agains the modern day behemoth front rows?

Despite us having two quality hookers, it’s a problem position in that Cronin is close to retirement and Tracy is well off the required standard. Beyond that I can’t recall any other hookers getting game time. Are McKee and Barron prospects? I wonder if a return from Bristol for Byrne might be an option? Probably not as he’s playing in big games there but would be third choice at best in Leinster.

Tight head is well stocked and I hope Clarkson can come through and that Vakh stays fit.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Carlu Sadie savaged Ed Byrne in the scrums throughout the first half last night. The Transvaal tight-head is 6'0" and weights in anywhere between 127-133 kg. He played for the SA U.20's in 2016-7 and is aged 24. Sadie is not a particularly reknowned THP in South Africa. Ed Byrne has been capped for Ireland.

Peter Dooley has been a very consistent Leinster Squad member for a number of years. Since the appointment of Scrum Coach McBride he has had fewer selections than previously and less than Ed Byrne during that period.

If Dooley is not re-signed by Leinster, it will represent one of Leo Cullen's few selectorial mistakes. Whether it is attributed to Scrum Coach McBride, who appears to prefer Byrne, the real responsibility will lie with Cullen.

We can't afford to lose Peter Dooley. Simples.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I've always had Dooley ahead of Ed Byrne. As a former front rower myself, I can't understand why Leinster would hold on to the latter and let the former go in a situation, where they had to choose which of them to keep on.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:59 pm Carlu Sadie savaged Ed Byrne in the scrums throughout the first half last night. The Transvaal tight-head is 6'0" and weights in anywhere between 127-133 kg. He played for the SA U.20's in 2016-7 and is aged 24. Sadie is not a particularly reknowned THP in South Africa. Ed Byrne has been capped for Ireland.

Peter Dooley has been a very consistent Leinster Squad member for a number of years. Since the appointment of Scrum Coach McBride he has had fewer selections than previously and less than Ed Byrne during that period.

If Dooley is not re-signed by Leinster, it will represent one of Leo Cullen's few selectorial mistakes. Whether it is attributed to Scrum Coach McBride, who appears to prefer Byrne, the real responsibility will lie with Cullen.

Did you not say recently that Dooley lacks ambition? I wouldn’t know where to look for the comment but I’m pretty sure someone said it and i remember thinking it was credible so think it was you. Apologies if I’m mixed up.

Although even if the coaches are frustrated that he’s not maximising his potential, his performances should still mean he’s more valued than he seems to be.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: February 27th, 2022, 12:53 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:59 pm Carlu Sadie savaged Ed Byrne in the scrums throughout the first half last night. The Transvaal tight-head is 6'0" and weights in anywhere between 127-133 kg. He played for the SA U.20's in 2016-7 and is aged 24. Sadie is not a particularly reknowned THP in South Africa. Ed Byrne has been capped for Ireland.

Did you not say recently that Dooley lacks ambition? I wouldn’t know where to look for the comment but I’m pretty sure someone said it and i remember thinking it was credible so think it was you. Apologies if I’m mixed up.

Although even if the coaches are frustrated that he’s not maximising his potential, his performances should still mean he’s more valued than he seems to be.
I think that was someone else on the Connacht thread?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dooley played more games for Leinster than Ed Byrne each of the last 2 seasons. Byrne has been picked at international level though and also more for the big games.

I hadn't noticed it before but Dooley starts 70+% of the games he plays. Byrne starts very infrequently. 14% 2 years ago, a little better last season. This year that's flipped completely so far.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

ronk wrote: February 27th, 2022, 1:21 am

Dooley played more games for Leinster than Ed Byrne each of the last 2 seasons. Byrne has been picked at international level though and also more for the big games.

I hadn't noticed it before but Dooley starts 70+% of the games he plays. Byrne starts very infrequently. 14% 2 years ago, a little better last season. This year that's flipped completely so far.
The big question is, what’s caused the flip because it certainly isn’t form…
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dooley is streets ahead. Whoever gets him will be reeling in a bargain.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blue Man wrote: February 27th, 2022, 9:38 pm
We went from the longest season in Leinster history to the shortest of the Celtic League era. And Andrew Porter moved to loosehead needing extra gametime, especially early in the season. Then Healy switched back to loosehead, also needing practise.

With an unprecedented gametime crunch, Byrne is the automatic choice for remaining time due to his position in the Irish depth chart.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

:?:
ronk wrote: February 28th, 2022, 11:59 am
Blue Man wrote: February 27th, 2022, 9:38 pm
We went from the longest season in Leinster history to the shortest of the Celtic League era. And Andrew Porter moved to loosehead needing extra gametime, especially early in the season. Then Healy switched back to loosehead, also needing practise.

With an unprecedented gametime crunch, Byrne is the automatic choice for remaining time due to his position in the Irish depth chart.
Here’s the question though, why is Byrne above Dooley and who put him there?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leo Cullen and Andy Farrell are both picking him and have been for a while.

Dooley was injured for a bit and maybe didn't have the form. That might change soon.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

This thing of preferring Byrne over Dooley for big games goes back quite a bit, iirc.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Cian Healy's stock rose another notch on Saturday - he can, and has, played at hooker (albeit not for many years now but as they say - a skill learned .....)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

jezzer wrote: February 28th, 2022, 1:28 pm This thing of preferring Byrne over Dooley for big games goes back quite a bit, iirc.
It has been back and forth for the last five seasons, since Ed Byrne came back from his horrific injury.

2021-22
Byrne: 5+3 [345 mins]
Dooley: 0+6 [170 mins]

2020-21
Byrne: 5+8 [482 mins]
Dooley: 12+5 [808 mins]

2019-20
Byrne: 2+10 [386 mins]
Dooley: 11+4 [719 mins]

2018-19
Byrne: 6+16 [677 mins]
Dooley: 4+10 [453 mins]

2017-18:
Byrne: 6+10 [599 mins]
Dooley: 2+7 [285 mins]

Not sure what Dooley has done [or hasn't done] to fall behind so much this season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

3 of those starts came in the last month. i.e. while he's on standby for the 6N.

The other 2 starts also fit the pattern of rushing gametime in for Byrne based on when he might be needed.

I don't see any reason to think there's any reason related to them for the change, but Covid would always be possible.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

For the sake of setting the record straight, Ed Byrne's performance demands mention. A comparison between his performance last night compared with that of Peter Dooley against Connacht certainly confirms that Leocaster / McBride got their decision on the money.

I thought that Byrne's performance was exemplary in scrum, mauls, carrying and tackling. He gave a 45 minute virtuoso display which clearly demonstrated why he is a key part of our Squad. His form had dipped for a couple of months, but last night clearly showed that when on song, he has the skills and bottle to contribute to Leinster forward pack regardless of the opposition.

Well done Ed.