Leo Cullen

The Leinster Front Row preview 2021/22

Post by mildlyinterested »

LH Prop
Cian Healy(33/Belvedere/Clontarf) - central contract until 2022
Ed Byrne(28/Clongowes/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
Peter Dooley(27/Birr RFC/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2020
Michael Milne(22/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD) - signed contract in 2021

Cian Healy(231 apps) will turn 34 shortly after the season begins and is probably entering his final season on a central contract, the legendary leinster prop isn't as effective in the loose as he was a few years ago but remains leinsters clear 1st choice entering the season, is this ideal role for him at this stage of his career? Leinster have to be focused on identifying his replacement from within the province, the question is who will that be? Ed Byrne(70 apps) and Peter Dooley(93 apps)have been with leinster for a long time and neither have pushed Healy for his place in the team, could this be the season one of them do it? For me Dooley has the better chance, but can he step up to that challenge? Below these recent graduate from the academy Michael Milne(16 apps) impressed in limited opportunities last season before injury stalled his progression, a powerful carrier of the ball in the loose, can he improve his basics to make the next step in his career? The wildcard at this position is the long rumoured and speculated about move of Andrew Porter back to loosehead in order to replace Healy for Leinster and Ireland, will this happen? Wait and see.

Academy
Marcus Hanan(21/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 2
Temi Lasisi(20/Enniscorthy/Lansdowne) - Academy Yr 1
Jack Boyle(18/St. Michaels/UCD) - Academy Yr 1

All three props in the academy have played loosehead to date in their careers, Marcus Hanan(2 apps) was a late entry to the academy last season, joining in January and making 2 appearances for the senior side. It looks like he has put on much needed size this summer, it will be interesting to see how he performs this season, presumably he will feature heavily for the A side and his club in the AIL. Temi Lasisi was possibly the surprise of the season at u20 level last season, emerging as 1st choice loosehead and impressing quite a bit for that side before injury ended his season. A huge loosehead by leinster standards will miss the start of this season due to that shoulder injury, when he returns he will certainly be a player to keep an eye on in the AIL. Finally Jack Boyle has joined the academy as an 18 year old prop after a season in the sub-academy and playing for Ireland u20, a well known major prospect in the Leinster system for several years already, Boyle will likely focus on continue to mature physically this season and play for his club and ireland u20.

TH Prop
Tadhg Furlong(28/New Ross RFC/Clontarf) - central contract until 2022
Andrew Porter(25/St. Andrews/UCD) - signed contract in 2020
Michael Alaalatoa(30) - signed contract in 2021
Vakh Abdaladze(25/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf) - signed contract in 2020
Tom Clarkson(21/Blackrock/DUFC) - signed contract in 2021

Tadhg Furlong(114 apps) is coming of his second lions tour as starting tighthead and there is understandable nervousness about his contract situation given he only extended for a season last June, given the unions financial situation there will be some tough negotiations ahead, but can the IRFU really afford to lose Furlong? His backup for ireland and leinster, Andrew Porter(77 apps) was incredibly unlucky to get injured just before heading off with the Lions, his contract is rumoured to be up for renewal this season also, can the IRFU give two central contracts to two leinster tightheads? Or will Porter move across to the loosehead to take up Healys central contract going forward? The signing of the Michael Alaalatoa from the Crusaders raised by eyebrows given his profile and likely salary, of course Leinster losing the every consistent Michael Bent, meant had a big gap to fill and they needed a quality replacement given the lack of a proven tightheads in the depth chart, but was Alaalatoa's signing approved by the IRFU in order to facilitate a move for Porter? We will have to wait and see what happens when Porter returns from injury. Below these three proven players are two inexperienced and unproven tightheads in Vakh Abdaladze(12 apps) and Tom Clarkson(10 apps), both will need to stay healthy and get some gametime under their belts this season, until then it's difficult to say how much leinster will be able to rely on them this season.

Finally there is a gap in the academy at tighthead after Sam Illo turned down an academy offer to join Connacht on a senior contract, it will be interesting to see what leinster do to address this going forward, might a player listed above switch over? Or will someone from the sub-academy emerge?

Hooker
Ronan Kelleher(23/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2021
James Tracy(30/Newbridge/UCD) - signed 2yr contract in 2021
Dan Sheehan(23/Clongowes/Lansdowne) - signed contract in 2020
Sean Cronin(35) - signed 1 yr contract in 2021

Ronan Kelleher(25 apps) is coming off a breakout season that resulted in him going on the lions tour after playing for ireland, unfortunately he never played for the lions while in south africa. One positive out of that is that hopefully he won't be too affected by the wear and tear that leinster players often have when returning from the lions, he looks set to be a key player going forward for leinster and ireland. Below him it's somewhat of a mixed bag, James Tracy(129 apps) remains a reliable if unspectacular player the long time squad player remains very much that going into this season, can he be pushed by Dan Sheehan(13 apps)? Who flashed a lot of ability last season but needs to find consistency game to game, If he can find that consistency, i'd be hopeful Sheehan could supplant Tracy as primary backup to Kelleher in europe this season. It should be noted that there has been a few rumours already that other provinces, namely Munster, have approached Sheehan about moving which would be a real concern to me. Finally Sean Cronin(195 apps) somewhat surprisingly re-signed this season, the aging leinster legend is almost certainly in his final season with the province, what role will he have in the team going forward is difficult to project at this moment.

Academy
John McKee(21/Campbell/Old Belvedere) - Academy Yr 2
Lee Barron(20/St. Michaels/DUFC) - Academy Yr 1

John McKee, a former ulster underage captain, missed a large part of last season due to injury. He will be hoping to push on this season and make his leinster debut and possibly replace Sean Cronin in the senior squad next season. McKee is joined by Lee Barron, who unfortunately missed out on his irish u20 campaign due to injury, Barron who was athletic enough to play backrow last season for the u20's is a tall hooker in the Dan Sheehan mould, can he have a similar impact for his club as Sheehan did when playing in the AIL?

Last edited by mildlyinterested on August 25th, 2021, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: The Leinster Front Row preview 2021/22

Post by riocard911 »

All very exciting. Can't wait for the season to kick off. I could see Porter moving back to loose head, if he's kept on the same money he'd get at 3; but would the IRFU be prepared to dig that deep in their pockets? If it was my decision, I would.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

With France hosting the RWC and the way the Lions went the premium on looseheads is likely to remain or even be higher. But not so much that you can manage without 2 tightheads.

So moving Porter is still a non starter. But a run of form could be good for Jack McGrath.

There's potential in the academy loosehead panel and no need to rush their development with the way Healy has held his form. Healy is by a huge distance the standout loosehead of the Irish pro era. No one else came close for any length of time. He'll get chances if he has a dip in form. Giving him the summer off is a sign that they Faz wants him for the RWC.

Munster wouldn't have been allowed release Cronin if the IRFU were expecting a loosehead crisis, i.e. if they didn't trust Dooley and Byrne.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: August 24th, 2021, 6:54 pm With France hosting the RWC and the way the Lions went the premium on looseheads is likely to remain or even be higher. But not so much that you can manage without 2 tightheads.

So moving Porter is still a non starter. But a run of form could be good for Jack McGrath.

There's potential in the academy loosehead panel and no need to rush their development with the way Healy has held his form. Healy is by a huge distance the standout loosehead of the Irish pro era. No one else came close for any length of time. He'll get chances if he has a dip in form. Giving him the summer off is a sign that they Faz wants him for the RWC.

Munster wouldn't have been allowed release Cronin if the IRFU were expecting a loosehead crisis, i.e. if they didn't trust Dooley and Byrne.
I don't agree, I think there has been too much speculation around it in the media for it not be seriously being considered.

Faz may want Healy at the WC but it won't be as 1st choice IMO.

I don't think the IRFU trust Dooley/Byrne to replace Healy as 1st choice for ireland. In fact I sort of expect one of them to be released at the end of this upcoming season. But that's just speculation on my part.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Porter would be seriously ill advised by those around him if he moved to LH. A potentially career damaging move vs being one of the two best THs in the NH. The idea needs to head off with the rest of the silly season nonsense.
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

FLIP wrote: August 24th, 2021, 10:07 pm Porter would be seriously ill advised by those around him if he moved to LH. A potentially career damaging move vs being one of the two best THs in the NH. The idea needs to head off with the rest of the silly season nonsense.
I'm not sure how it will damage his career, if it doesn't work out he is already a proven TH and can just move back there.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 25th, 2021, 7:56 am
FLIP wrote: August 24th, 2021, 10:07 pm Porter would be seriously ill advised by those around him if he moved to LH. A potentially career damaging move vs being one of the two best THs in the NH. The idea needs to head off with the rest of the silly season nonsense.
I'm not sure how it will damage his career, if it doesn't work out he is already a proven TH and can just move back there.
Many reasons. The loss of practice at TH while he's moved across will put him at a disadvantage coming back. The increased risk of injury playing a position he's less familiar with at the top level. The potential damage to his reputation. The potential opening of a gap for another rival.

There's a lot to risk and very little to gain.
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

FLIP wrote: August 25th, 2021, 8:24 am
Many reasons. The loss of practice at TH while he's moved across will put him at a disadvantage coming back. The increased risk of injury playing a position he's less familiar with at the top level. The potential damage to his reputation. The potential opening of a gap for another rival.

Don't think Porter will view it that way, but we shall see.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I agree there's a lot to risk, but very little to gain? He could be the starting LH for Ireland and Leinster for the rest of his career if it worked out.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Furlong has a 1 year contract and missed almost a year injured.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote: August 25th, 2021, 2:52 pm

I agree there's a lot to risk, but very little to gain? He could be the starting LH for Ireland and Leinster for the rest of his career if it worked out.
He goes from being 100% in Ireland/Leinster/Lions matchday squads to possibly not at all.
Anyone But New Zealand
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

ronk wrote: August 25th, 2021, 2:55 pm Furlong has a 1 year contract and missed almost a year injured.

1 year ago the Irish management were planning on switching Porter to LH. Furlong's injury alone stymied that. The Irish team's need is even greater at LH than Leinster.

Irish needs pull rank on Leinster - who seem to be in agreement with the signing of a 3rd international class TH in Ala'alatoa.

Ireland is Porter's team and employer of choice.

All very persuasive for me...until you look at Ireland's depth chart at TH without Porter - Furlong/ Bealham/ O'Toole/ Ryan. Only O'Toole has the potential to be a force at international level, but he wasn't given many minutes in the Summer series.

But then you look to the LH stocks behind Healy: Kilcoyne/ Byrne/ O'Sullivan/ Dooley. Kilcoyne just about cuts it, but not against England, France, South Africa, France and is 33 this year.

It's a close run thing but, post Healy, I think Leinster are reasonably covered at their level with their roster, and Irish rugby is looking to Porter/ Kilcoyne-O'Sullivan at LH and Furlong/ O'Toole at TH. Squeaky bum time in the next two years.

PS - Lassisi and Illo could be bolters in next two years. Real power and ballers too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

John Ryan is already 33, but okay for the medium term depth while Kilcoyne is slightly younger but we need emergency heroics to replace him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

backrower8 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 4:27 pm
ronk wrote: August 25th, 2021, 2:55 pm Furlong has a 1 year contract and missed almost a year injured.

1 year ago the Irish management were planning on switching Porter to LH. Furlong's injury alone stymied that. The Irish team's need is even greater at LH than Leinster.

Irish needs pull rank on Leinster - who seem to be in agreement with the signing of a 3rd international class TH in Ala'alatoa.

All very persuasive for me...until you look at Ireland's depth chart at TH without Porter - Furlong/ Bealham/ O'Toole/ Ryan. Only O'Toole has the potential to be a force at international level, but he wasn't given many minutes in the Summer series.

But then you look to the LH stocks behind Healy: Kilcoyne/ Byrne/ O'Sullivan/ Dooley. Kilcoyne just about cuts it, but not against England, France, South Africa, France and is 33 this year.

It's a close run thing but, post Healy, I think Leinster are reasonably covered at their level with their roster, and Irish rugby is looking to Porter/ Kilcoyne-O'Sullivan at LH and Furlong/ O'Toole at TH. Squeaky bum time in the next two years.

PS - Lassisi and Illo could be bolters in next two years. Real power and ballers too.
that's pretty optimistic... they have power but both are raw. I really doubt either will be playing for ireland in the next 2 years.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Illo return to Dublin in two years though.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Milne's recovery from injury and Hanan's physical development over the summer prove just how much can change during 6 months of a young player's career. To write off the prospects of dramatic improvement over a two-year period is flying in the face of sporting history and suggesting a limit to further potential progress.

However, the prospects of Leinster or Ireland developing a LH of Church's excellence within two years are limited to Porter being that player. It would also appear that the chances of developing a TH back-up for Ireland are greater and less urgent for the national cause. With only a tiny reservation, I would like to see Porter share the Leinster & Irish LH duties with Cian this season and next Season- when, if successful in the position, he should become the No 1 choice and holder of a 3-yr National contract

It would be beyond comprehension to me that Leinster signed only one Overseas player in this season, only to find that he is redundant to purpose for all European games and is limited in his other appearances to cover for International duty of Furlong and Porter.

Moving Andrew back to LH is not a risk. THP is the position of greater aggression and technical expertise. He will have learned an enormous amount of the technical tactics applied by a THP over the past four seasons and is now undoubtedly stronger and more experienced than during his previous sojourn as a LH AND he will have the benefit of learning further from Cian, McBryde and Fogarty.

Finally, it is worth remembering that scrums are the only element of the game is which there are different roles for LH &TH players. In all other aspects, the roles are totally interchangible. The prospect of Leinster and Irish packs having both Furlong and Porter in harness on the pitch fills me with excitement and expectation.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 26th, 2021, 8:00 am Milne's recovery from injury and Hanan's physical development over the summer prove just how much can change during 6 months of a young player's career. To write off the prospects of dramatic improvement over a two-year period is flying in the face of sporting history and suggesting a limit to further potential progress.

However, the prospects of Leinster or Ireland developing a LH of Church's excellence within two years are limited to Porter being that player. It would also appear that the chances of developing a TH back-up for Ireland are greater and less urgent for the national cause. With only a tiny reservation, I would like to see Porter share the Leinster & Irish LH duties with Cian this season and next Season- when, if successful in the position, he should become the No 1 choice and holder of a 3-yr National contract

It would be beyond comprehension to me that Leinster signed only one Overseas player in this season, only to find that he is redundant to purpose for all European games and is limited in his other appearances to cover for International duty of Furlong and Porter.

Moving Andrew back to LH is not a risk. THP is the position of greater aggression and technical expertise. He will have learned an enormous amount of the technical tactics applied by a THP over the past four seasons and is now undoubtedly stronger and more experienced than during his previous sojourn as a LH AND he will have the benefit of learning further from Cian, McBryde and Fogarty.

Finally, it is worth remembering that scrums are the only element of the game is which there are different roles for LH &TH players. In all other aspects, the roles are totally interchangible. The prospect of Leinster and Irish packs having both Furlong and Porter in harness on the pitch fills me with excitement and expectation.
+1 :happy clapper:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 25th, 2021, 9:46 pm
backrower8 wrote: August 25th, 2021, 4:27 pm

that's pretty optimistic... they have power but both are raw. I really doubt either will be playing for ireland in the next 2 years.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Illo return to Dublin in two years though.
It is that. Looking to those young players as potential parts of the solutions we need at prop reflects the fairly deperate position we are on the brink of. Nonetheless it is very unlikely that they will come through that fast, although Healy did 11 years ago.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 26th, 2021, 8:00 amMoving Andrew back to LH is not a risk. THP is the position of greater aggression and technical expertise. He will have learned an enormous amount of the technical tactics applied by a THP over the past four seasons and is now undoubtedly stronger and more experienced than during his previous sojourn as a LH AND he will have the benefit of learning further from Cian, McBryde and Fogarty.
An architect and and engineer have similar skills but are entirely different jobs, and moving between them is not easy regardless of how skilled you are in either one. The same applies to props - have you played both sides? Back in the days of a single sub prop a select few could play both sides, but all had a preferred side. The best in either position tended to only play one exclusively.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Why do you keep saying this is 'silly season' nonsense or media/fan driven?

Whether you agree with it or not, it has been discussed by both Leinster & Irish coaches.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Assume you age out Healy and Ryan.

That leaves Kilcoyne, Byrne at loosehead; Furlong, Porter at tighthead.

Move across Porter and Bealham comes in. The question then is do we prefer to have Bealham and Porter closing the game or Porter and Byrne. I'm inclined to the latter, Byrne held up when needed. And it's much lower risk. If Porter moves and is any less than a Lion's test level then it would be a huge mistake.

Odds are good that one of Healy Kilcoyne is around for the work cup.