Rainbow Cup Final

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Rainbow Cup Final

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 7:12 pm There's more to the story but Italy looked a more competitive side before they joined the 6N than once they were in.
They have massively struggled at outhalf for almost 20 years. I'm not saying that it is as simple as that, but it is a big part of it.

Diego Dominguez was born in 1966 and Italy joined the Six Nations in 2000 – he played in that competition as a 33 year old and played his last games in it in 2003 as a 36 [almost 37] year old. Between then and Garbisi [who was born the year Italy first played in the Six Nations] they haven't had an outhalf capable of thriving at the level at which the Italians play in international competition, i.e. Six Nations and World Cups.

Listed below are the outhalves they selected in RWC squads following Dominguez's retirement:

2003 RWC: Francesco Mazzariol [28], Rima Wakarua [27]
2007 RWC: Roland de Marigny [32], Ramiro Pez [29]
2011 RWC: Ricardo Bocchino [23], Luciano Orquera [29]
2015 RWC: Tommaso Allan [22], Carlo Canna [23]
2019 RWC: Tommaso Allan [26], Carlo Canna [27]

Not a whole heap of quality test match players there.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:48 pm
ronk wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 7:12 pm There's more to the story but Italy looked a more competitive side before they joined the 6N than once they were in.
They have massively struggled at outhalf for almost 20 years. I'm not saying that it is as simple as that, but it is a big part of it.

Diego Dominguez was born in 1966 and Italy joined the Six Nations in 2000 – he played in that competition as a 33 year old and played his last games in it in 2003 as a 36 [almost 37] year old. Between then and Garbisi [who was born the year Italy first played in the Six Nations] they haven't had an outhalf capable of thriving at the level at which the Italians play in international competition, i.e. Six Nations and World Cups.

Listed below are the outhalves they selected in RWC squads following Dominguez's retirement:

+1

It was an Italian team that peaked in 97 or 98 and their form around then is what won them their place in the 5 Nations (along with the need to bring England into line). They beat us three times in a row between 95 and 98, for example. The whole team aged out together though
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 8:48 pm

I see a parallel with Garropolo and the 49ers. Decent player rather than a superstar but they’re lost without him. And that effect mightn’t be seen for every team.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

During the 90's decade, my memory is also that Italy had quick try-scoring wingers and a really strong front-row. Nobody, even the English & S Africans messed with their scrum. Troncon arrived at the end of that era as a scrum-half but Dominguez was already moving on, but getting two good half-backs together has been their big challenge. Recent U.20 scrum-halves look decent prospects.

Now they need to work on scrums & mauls again. If the Italy pack can guarantee a supply of good ball, the current half backs can bring them success.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkKEw6_KJgw

The first guy on this says he "dosen't want to make excuses" just after he uses gnats as an excuse :lol:

It's rugby Jim, but not as we know it.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 6:28 am During the 90's decade, my memory is also that Italy had quick try-scoring wingers and a really strong front-row. Nobody, even the English & S Africans messed with their scrum. Troncon arrived at the end of that era as a scrum-half but Dominguez was already moving on, but getting two good half-backs together has been their big challenge. Recent U.20 scrum-halves look decent prospects.

Now they need to work on scrums & mauls again. If the Italy pack can guarantee a supply of good ball, the current half backs can bring them success.
Dominguez really was an outstanding player. I hope Italian rugby can have a renaissance, and Romanian rugby too (who were brilliant in the '80s).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!