United Rugby Championship

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Dave Cahill »

They have Premiership/Championship (depending on the season) teams to compete with. The Championship is the 5th biggest league in world football
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 5th, 2022, 5:43 pm They have Premiership/Championship (depending on the season) teams to compete with. The Championship is the 5th biggest league in world football
Yep, when one of the Welsh Clubs are in the premier League they have an income of £140-150 million. Budgets for the Welsh clubs are Dragons £3.4m, Cardiff Blues £4.9m, Ospreys £5.3m, Scarlets £6m.

Soccer is much more present on TV and in the media, the national team have been doing well and they have a global mega star in Gareth Bale.

It's a tough one because to be any way competitive they need to consolidate those budgets but that will obviously impact player base.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 5th, 2022, 6:10 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: May 5th, 2022, 5:43 pm They have Premiership/Championship (depending on the season) teams to compete with. The Championship is the 5th biggest league in world football
Yep, when one of the Welsh Clubs are in the premier League they have an income of £140-150 million. Budgets for the Welsh clubs are Dragons £3.4m, Cardiff Blues £4.9m, Ospreys £5.3m, Scarlets £6m.

Soccer is much more present on TV and in the media, the national team have been doing well and they have a global mega star in Gareth Bale.

It's a tough one because to be any way competitive they need to consolidate those budgets but that will obviously impact player base.
They also have the Millenium Stadium, one of the best "sweated Assets" owned by any Football Association in the world.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 4th, 2022, 11:53 pm I wonder if they do dump one out will that open the door to the cheetahs re-entering?
When I saw your post I just assumed sticking a South African team in the Welsh conference wouldn't really work. But I think it'd be fine actually. The three remaining Welsh team would have one extra game in SA (3 instead of the other European teams' 2), and the Cheetahs would actually have a similar enough schedule to the other SA sides. At the moment the SA franchises play 12 games in the Republic (9 at home) and 6 games in Europe. The Cheetahs would play 11 games in SA, with 9 of them being at home, and 7 games in Europe. I think I've got that worked out properly. Play in-conference home and away, and everyone else home or away.

I felt sorry for the Cheetahs when they were unceremoniously booted out. I'm sure they'd jump at the opportunity.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

paddyor wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:41 pm
DartVader wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:15 pm Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about a team being put together in Germany too? I think it was to be owned/sponsored by the lad who owns CapriSun or some such.
If the likes of them or a Spanish club were to join the URC it would most likely be their International teams but using a club name.
Still wouldn't be as good as many top URC teams but would be an interesting option to see if it would lift those clubs / countries a bit quicker than at present and may already be better than the recent performances of some of the welsh regions!
Heidelberg with Hans Bild, fell out with the German Union and bought Stade Francais.
He had Heidelberg and Stade at the same time. Heidelberg were refused entry into the challenge Cup (they earned qualification through the shield) a few years ago due to this, which was yet another bizarre and quote frankly disgraceful decision by the EPCR. It crushed all the momentum the German team had.
Wild moved on soon after and Heidelberg went from fully professional to mostly amateur now, which has also had a massive negative effect on the national side.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Listened to a Saffer rugby podcast last night. Seems in RSA they'd like Leinster to crash out of the Heino this weekend and Munster to progress, so we go locked and loaded on May 21st in LR, beat our southern brethern, thereby denying them a home first ko match in the URC, with such an advantage then accruing to one of the South African franchises.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

riocard911 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:51 am Listened to a Saffer rugby podcast last night. Seems in RSA they'd like Leinster to crash out of the Heino this weekend and Munster to progress, so we go locked and loaded on May 21st in LR, beat our southern brethern, thereby denying them a home first ko match in the URC, with such an advantage then accruing to one of the South African franchises.
Can’t blame them for that I suppose and not an unrealistic scenario. God there’s a lot of Negativity floating around t’internet this morning. Starting to get worried now. May need to go off social media for a while.

Where’s Blockhead to tell us ‘we’re going to tear them a new one’ when you need him :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:51 am Listened to a Saffer rugby podcast last night. Seems in RSA they'd like Leinster to crash out of the Heino this weekend and Munster to progress, so we go locked and loaded on May 21st in LR, beat our southern brethern, thereby denying them a home first ko match in the URC, with such an advantage then accruing to one of the South African franchises.
They don't get us so well. They should be shouting for us. If we make the final we'll go light (relatively) in URC.

Munster too.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Not a chance.

We'll get a Scottish side in the QF. Will be back in the swing by the time we potentially meet the saffers. I think they are right. Get Munster out of the top 4 would be good for the saffers
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Simple sound logic.
Home andvantage against a team from the other hemisphere is massive
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Big win for the Ospreys at the weekend. They are now ahead of the Scarlets (on games won) going into the last round. They play at home on the Friday against the Bulls and only a BP win (which they wont get) will gaurantee them a place in next seasons Heino. Scarlets play at home on saturday against the Stormers needing to beat Ospreys result.
Edinburgh and Glasgow then play in Murrayfield to decide who plays in the Heino next year too.
And then after that, we will hope to be sending Munster back down to RSA for a difficult QF.
Gonna be an intense 2 days of rugby.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: May 9th, 2022, 10:11 am Big win for the Ospreys at the weekend. They are now ahead of the Scarlets (on games won) going into the last round. They play at home on the Friday against the Bulls and only a BP win (which they wont get) will gaurantee them a place in next seasons Heino. Scarlets play at home on saturday against the Stormers needing to beat Ospreys result.
Edinburgh and Glasgow then play in Murrayfield to decide who plays in the Heino next year too.
And then after that, we will hope to be sending Munster back down to RSA for a difficult QF.
It might be better if Munster did a bit of "clearing out" in the playoffs and that we both got to the final. Who would your money be on then?
Maybe don't answer that until after the weekend.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

blockhead wrote: May 9th, 2022, 10:11 am Big win for the Ospreys at the weekend. They are now ahead of the Scarlets (on games won) going into the last round. They play at home on the Friday against the Bulls and only a BP win (which they wont get) will gaurantee them a place in next seasons Heino. Scarlets play at home on saturday against the Stormers needing to beat Ospreys result.
We will be listening to loads of disgruntled Welsh rugby fans claiming that it's a mortal sin for the IRFU to "own" several teams in the competition.

Even though the reason we send a young team out against Munster is...

A/ Because we earned the right to

and

B/ Because we don't need the points.

I'd rather 3 Irish teams at home in the QFs. More money for the IRFU. Why would we want that cash going 10000kms south?

Scottish teams can't make a home qf so there can only be 3 outcomes.

3 x Irish teams and 1 SA
3 x SA teams and us
or
2 of each.

I'll take option A, every day and twice on Sundays thanks. Your mileage may vary.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote: May 9th, 2022, 4:37 pm
We will be listening to loads of disgruntled Welsh rugby fans claiming that it's a mortal sin for the IRFU to "own" several teams in the competition.

and

I'd rather 3 Irish teams at home in the QFs. More money for the IRFU. Why would we want that cash going 10000kms south?

3 x Irish teams and 1 SA
3 x SA teams and us
or
2 of each.

I'll take option A, every day and twice on Sundays thanks. Your mileage may vary.
Would be fun to send them all the way down there to play at altitude in the boiling Sun no?
Where's the divil in ye?
They can all stay over in CJs for a barbie after.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: May 9th, 2022, 5:32 pm

and

3 x Irish teams and 1 SA
3 x SA teams and us
or
2 of each.

Would be fun to send them all the way down there to play at altitude in the boiling Sun no?
Where's the divil in ye?
For a braai, BH, a braai. And remember to go easy on the lighter fuel.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Where's the divil in ye?
:lol:

The bit of divil in me would have a laugh if we sent the kids out and beat them anyway.

But you know. On balance..... :D

June is the middle of winter there and only the bulls are on the high veld.

PS. On the Ospreys. They only need the BP win to "be sure" of the shield. Any win and the Scarlets would need a BP win v The Stormers to catch them
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote: May 9th, 2022, 7:16 pm
Where's the divil in ye?
:lol:

The bit of divil in me would have a laugh if we sent the kids out and beat them anyway.

But you know. On balance..... :D

June is the middle of winter there and only the bulls are on the high veld.

PS. On the Ospreys. They only need the BP win to "be sure" of the shield. Any win and the Scarlets would need a BP win v The Stormers to catch them
Forecast for that weekend is sunny and low 20's in Pretoria, same in Durban, might rain in Cape Town though.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: May 9th, 2022, 6:18 pm

and

3 x Irish teams and 1 SA
3 x SA teams and us
or
2 of each.

Where's the divil in ye?
For a braai, BH, a braai. And remember to go easy on the lighter fuel.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I heard skingrafts are 10 quite cheap down there.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/61394143

I know that they listened to me last time and it's a c@ck up, but they should listen to me again this time.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

D4surfer wrote: May 10th, 2022, 3:14 pm https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/61394143

I know that they listened to me last time and it's a c@ck up, but they should listen to me again this time.
1 The United Rugby Championship (URC) is not working because fans do not travel in great numbers to away games.
-They could start by increasing your own fanbase(Do fans in the prem travel in large numbers to away games)
2 Welsh teams should play in England, "but that's never going to happen". :lol:
3 Three teams would mean Wales coach Wayne Pivac having "quality over quantity to choose from".
-Nah, just less players