United Rugby Championship

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by wixfjord »

Would people rather it was just an arbitrarily selected team of the best players in the league, (most of whom haven't actually played that much in the league), rather than decided by actual performances and form on the pitch?

Johnny Sexton is by some distance the best 10 in the URC, but he has played about 150 minutes all season, should he be selected on the team of the season?

Should the same apply for player of the tournament awards also?

So like Dupont would just get the Euro award each year irrespective of whether/how he has played in Europe.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:57 pm Would people rather it was just an arbitrarily selected team of the best players in the league, (most of whom haven't actually played that much in the league), rather than decided by actual performances and form on the pitch?

Johnny Sexton is by some distance the best 10 in the URC, but he has played about 150 minutes all season, should he be selected on the team of the season?

Should the same apply for player of the tournament awards also?

So like Dupont would just get the Euro award each year irrespective of whether/how he has played in Europe.
I nominate Snyman and Etzebeth for next years Dream Team.
Oh, an Snyman for this year too....... and last year while we're at it.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TBH lads a dream team debate isn't worth the grief so I'll leave ye to it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschool wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm TBH lads a dream team debate isn't worth the grief so I'll leave ye to it.
Tis a fairly simple question that you don’t seem to want to answer.

Other than actual league form, what criteria do you think should be used for this season's league dream team?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Our other Ross isn't there. I say we riot!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:47 pm TBH lads a dream team debate isn't worth the grief so I'll leave ye to it.
I nominate Oldschool for the Babbling Brook Dream Team 2022
On the wing......Right Wing of course.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I'm surprised people care enough to even debate it...
Dont Panic!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:50 pm
Tis a fairly simple question that you don’t seem to want to answer.

Other than actual league form, what criteria do you think should be used for this season's league dream team?
Fair play to you, you understood my message.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:June 7th, 2022, 8:32 pm
I nominate Oldschool for the Babbling Brook Dream Team 2022
On the wing......Right Wing of course.
:lol:
Unfortunately I lack the necessary pace.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-24166037

Simon Thomas review of the URC Season 1.
The obsession with the Eng prem is just so :roll:
And this new excuse, I'm only aware of it recently tbh, "the lack of away fans at league matches" wtf is that about?

If the prem did turn its eye to internationalising their own league I don't thing they would be knocking on welsh doors
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

The inference in the article that Welsh rugby supporters are disadvantaged by having to travel to away matches in South Africa might have more punch if they travelled in any numbers to matches in Ireland, just next door to them, or God forbid actually bothered to attend their home matches in a way that we might notice. Half empty Welsh rugby stadia are and have been the norm in all incarnations of the League.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

blockhead wrote: June 8th, 2022, 3:56 pm https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-24166037

And this new excuse, I'm only aware of it recently tbh, "the lack of away fans at league matches" wtf is that about?

If the prem did turn its eye to internationalising their own league I don't thing they would be knocking on welsh doors
I don't know where they get this idea that the english prem has hordes of travelling away fans. Maybe in the order of a couple hundred for games between teams <2 hours travel away. I'd be surprised if Sale, Newcastle or Exeter see away fans in triple figures and it's not like many actually want to go to Worcester, Leicester, Coventry or Northampton.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

blockhead wrote: June 8th, 2022, 3:56 pm https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-24166037

I actually think that article has been well written and goes through the pros and cons of both for the URC. I don’t think he is implying it’s true that the Welsh fans are disadvantaged, more he is printing what their feelings are even though it’s an inaccurate feeling to have. He is right in saying any game they want to go to they have to get a plane and that includes irish matches for them.

At the end of the day SA and Irish fans are the happier of the group with the way it’s going, for Ireland we finally have someone else to fight for a title for other than our own provinces and SA are seeing all their stars coming home again. Welsh fans are just sick that it’s us and not their teams at the top. But as he says at the end the only sensible thing is to finally back their regions which will improve it, cause the English prem wants nothing to do with the Welsh
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Welsh teams don't even have home fans.
Anyone But New Zealand
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

That discussion was started by Sam Warburton. Here's his region announcing his retirement where they list his international caps prominently but give a rough figure of his regional caps in a quote. https://www.cardiffrugby.wales/news/sam ... ous-career

His own team barely mentioned any of the rugby he played for them. His own region.

79 caps for Wales and the Lions. 106 for Cardiff. He never took them seriously, they were just there to keep him warm. He's no friend for the regions whatsoever. He phoned it in for Cardiff.

The WRU should keep someone like that as far away as possible after they retire. It's a massive failing of their public relations. I know he works for the BBC but that's still the national broadcaster. He's immensely popular but they could still damage him through proxies.

It should be embarrassing that their best players were negative about the league and the regions. That they don't even fight back. Contepomi did. He made some solid points: there are 6 countries in URC playing different rugby. We get to see styles and innovation, everyone isn't the same.

People slated the league because of the Leinster Glasgow game but we run up a higher score against Montpellier and we saw a Glasgow team that came to play but were utterly destroyed by a brilliant performance, i.e. more than Montpellier. And they sacked their coach for it, they didn't accept it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

This weekend we have the Bulls coming to Leinster and Ulster going to the Stormers.

It's the first time we've gone head to head in knockout rugby with some of the best SH sides. This is way bigger than whatever Prem and Top14 can come up with.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

ronk wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:14 pm This weekend we have the Bulls coming to Leinster and Ulster going to the Stormers.

It's the first time we've gone head to head in knockout rugby with some of the best SH sides. This is way bigger than whatever Prem and Top14 can come up with.
Just a pity we can’t even seem to sell out the rds for this match
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:14 pm This weekend we have the Bulls coming to Leinster and Ulster going to the Stormers.

It sure is! And to quote the Pointer Sisters: "I'm all excited!!!"
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Theleinsterlad wrote: June 8th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Just a pity we can’t even seem to sell out the rds for this match
I’m on vacay, would be there otherwise