United Rugby Championship

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by The Doc »

Theleinsterlad wrote:I wonder if they do dump one out will that open the door to the cheetahs re-entering?
I'd prefer a Spanish franchise tbh. Not sure 5 SA teams makes much sense.

Though knowing this crowd they'll start eyeing up the US again

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:17 am
THis has been coming for 10 years. The only question was who would get the chop.
We had our own long running debate about Connacht. And it would have been a mistake, they won the league they made HC a few years and have 3 players in an Irish 23 with a few more usefully high on the depth chart.

Maybe they make a loss still but I think when you factor in the 6 interpros they play and the revenue on the other side along with the wider overall fanbase in Ireland for internationals, it's probably a different story.

Wales would lose that too. And they wouldn't solve any of the problems.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by The Doc

Last thing this league needs is another Zebre which is what the Spanish team would be. I wonder have the Welsh ever asked the Scots how well it went after they got rid of Border Reivers and if they regret it?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In many ways we're the problem in Wales. They could have been smaller than the prem but happy and competitive.

I thought Welsh sides were often competitive this year but it was a bad year for them. 4 SA teams have pushed them down and the Omicron wave in SA knocked the morale out of them.

The way Benetton won the Rainbow Cup last year should be a lesson in how much teams can improve when they have a shot. The hardest thing for some of the clubs we face is knowing that Irish sides have been able to raise standards when faced with improved opposition.

Probably next year will be different with concentration on the URC, better understanding of SA teams, less disruption and competition for RWC slots.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It's important to put this proposal in context and this report from BBC Sports sets out some of the background well:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/61325542

The real battle is between the Regions and the Premiership Clubs which are semi-professional and supported by the Welsh Union and in the majority of cases supported by their fans, who resent the 'takeover and dominance' of the artificial regions. Cardiff for example are considered as opponents by Clubs such as Pontypool.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Thank God we got the Saffers into our league, as the Welsh have been dragging it down for years. Now we can just ignore them, replace whatever franchise they chop with the Cheetahs or some Spanish, Georgian, take-your-pick team and move on. The disaster that is Welsh rugby was interesting, when the fate of the Celtic League, Magner's, Rabo, Pro** was involved. Many was the lively discussion on this matter on Blues Talk TV I enjoyed thru the years. But now the Welsh clubs are mere bottom feeders. Don't get me wrong, having grown up admiring the likes of Bobby Windsor, Phil Bennet, Gareth Edwards et al I'd love the Welsh clubs to get their act together and be competitive in the URC and Europe, but as this stage the nonsense going on across the way is just a drag.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

riocard911 wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:37 am Thank God we got the Saffers into our league, as the Welsh have been dragging it down for years. Now we can just ignore them, replace whatever franchise they chop with the Cheetahs or some Spanish, Georgian, take-your-pick team and move on. The disaster that is Welsh rugby was interesting, when the fate of the Celtic League, Magner's, Rabo, Pro** was involved. Many was the lively discussion on this matter on Blues Talk TV I enjoyed thru the years. But now the Welsh clubs are mere bottom feeders. Don't get me wrong, having grown up admiring the likes of Bobby Windsor, Phil Bennet, Gareth Edwards et al I'd love the Welsh clubs to get their act together and be competitive in the URC and Europe, but as this stage the nonsense going on across the way is just a drag.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

the spoofer wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:47 am
riocard911 wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:37 am Thank God we got the Saffers into our league, as the Welsh have been dragging it down for years. Now we can just ignore them, replace whatever franchise they chop with the Cheetahs or some Spanish, Georgian, take-your-pick team and move on. The disaster that is Welsh rugby was interesting, when the fate of the Celtic League, Magner's, Rabo, Pro** was involved. Many was the lively discussion on this matter on Blues Talk TV I enjoyed thru the years. But now the Welsh clubs are mere bottom feeders. Don't get me wrong, having grown up admiring the likes of Bobby Windsor, Phil Bennet, Gareth Edwards et al I'd love the Welsh clubs to get their act together and be competitive in the URC and Europe, but as this stage the nonsense going on across the way is just a drag.
+1 works too. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote: May 5th, 2022, 2:37 am
THis has been coming for 10 years. The only question was who would get the chop.
We had our own long running debate about Connacht. And it would have been a mistake, they won the league they made HC a few years and have 3 players in an Irish 23 with a few more usefully high on the depth chart.

Maybe they make a loss still but I think when you factor in the 6 interpros they play and the revenue on the other side along with the wider overall fanbase in Ireland for internationals, it's probably a different story.

It's not an apples to apples comparison. Rtb has covered some of it with his link. The other thing is basically having 4 teams in an area smaller than Leinster serving a pop of c 2.2m people on the M4 corridor isn't a workable business model. I don't think they have the player pool to keep even 2 of the 4 regions competitive(we can do 3 of 4 provinces in a good year).
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

sunshiner1 wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:16 am
by The Doc

Last thing this league needs is another Zebre which is what the Spanish team would be. I wonder have the Welsh ever asked the Scots how well it went after they got rid of Border Reivers and if they regret it?
That saved them?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Oldschool wrote: May 5th, 2022, 11:28 am
the spoofer wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:47 am
+1 works too. :wink:
I had an overly harsh response about the Welsh and thought better of it!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

The Doc wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:24 am
Theleinsterlad wrote:I wonder if they do dump one out will that open the door to the cheetahs re-entering?

Spain are nowhere near up to scratch to compete. The other team that got stuck in SA during COVID was a new Catalan team playing a friendly with the King's or Cheetahs, with the hope they could put together a league below the URC. I don't know where that has gone in the last short while, but my feeling is any Spanish team would be doing well to compete at that level. Fingers crossed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:39 pm
It's not an apples to apples comparison. Rtb has covered some of it with his link. The other thing is basically having 4 teams in an area smaller than Leinster serving a pop of c 2.2m people on the M4 corridor isn't a workable business model. I don't think they have the player pool to keep even 2 of the 4 regions competitive(we can do 3 of 4 provinces in a good year).
Nothing ever is.

Structural issues in Welsh rugby don't have a huge amount to do with population. Throwing numbers would make a difference of course. I'm not suggesting copying things that rely on Dublin/Belfast population centres.

Cutting teams causes their own problems.

Connacht won the URC, Scarlets won the URC. Smallest cities hosting regions/provinces.

Throwing one region under the bus makes it look easier to fill a temporary budget hole, but at the expense of 6 high profile games in other provinces. In that sense it's digging a deeper hole.
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about a team being put together in Germany too? I think it was to be owned/sponsored by the lad who owns CapriSun or some such.
If the likes of them or a Spanish club were to join the URC it would most likely be their International teams but using a club name.
Still wouldn't be as good as many top URC teams but would be an interesting option to see if it would lift those clubs / countries a bit quicker than at present and may already be better than the recent performances of some of the welsh regions!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

jezzer wrote: May 5th, 2022, 1:17 pm

Spain are nowhere near up to scratch to compete. The other team that got stuck in SA during COVID was a new Catalan team playing a friendly with the King's or Cheetahs, with the hope they could put together a league below the URC. I don't know where that has gone in the last short while, but my feeling is any Spanish team would be doing well to compete at that level. Fingers crossed.
There's the guys from here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Europe_Super_Cup

No idea of the standard but there's a few ex Pro14 players knocking around that league like Josh Strauss
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

DartVader wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:15 pm Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about a team being put together in Germany too? I think it was to be owned/sponsored by the lad who owns CapriSun or some such.
If the likes of them or a Spanish club were to join the URC it would most likely be their International teams but using a club name.
Still wouldn't be as good as many top URC teams but would be an interesting option to see if it would lift those clubs / countries a bit quicker than at present and may already be better than the recent performances of some of the welsh regions!
Heidelberg with Hans Bild, fell out with the German Union and bought Stade Francais.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
DartVader
Bookworm

Post by DartVader »

paddyor wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:41 pm
DartVader wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:15 pm Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago about a team being put together in Germany too? I think it was to be owned/sponsored by the lad who owns CapriSun or some such.
Heidelberg with Hans Bild, fell out with the German Union and bought Stade Francais.
Ah, right. I remember that now. Bit of spare change down the back of the sofa for him? :wink:
Pity though. Someone like him would have been a great benefactor to a new team entering the league.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote: May 5th, 2022, 1:38 pm
Nothing ever is.

Structural issues in Welsh rugby don't have a huge amount to do with population. Throwing numbers would make a difference of course. I'm not suggesting copying things that rely on Dublin/Belfast population centres.

Cutting teams causes their own problems.

Connacht won the URC, Scarlets won the URC. Smallest cities hosting regions/provinces.

Throwing one region under the bus makes it look easier to fill a temporary budget hole, but at the expense of 6 high profile games in other provinces. In that sense it's digging a deeper hole.
I guarantee you the gate receipts from the lost gates <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Wage bill for the lost region. I get what you're saying but ultimately I come back to this not being an apples to apples comparison. Their gate receipts are awful. Even Judgement day generates meagre returns.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

paddyor wrote: May 5th, 2022, 3:40 pm
jezzer wrote: May 5th, 2022, 1:17 pm

There's the guys from here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Europe_Super_Cup

No idea of the standard but there's a few ex Pro14 players knocking around that league like Josh Strauss
The final is this weekend: the Georgian side against the Portuguese side.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

ronk wrote: May 5th, 2022, 2:37 am

Albeit a population that doesn't compete with the GAA