United Rugby Championship

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by FLIP »

Welsh rugby is suffering from dryrot from top to bottom, including a large portion of the supporter base and the media.

And change will never happen as the local clubs hold all the power and are unwilling to vote for long term change that in the short term will cause them issues. Plus they're too busy snorting powder from their trophies.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Jaysis, Moffet is some muppet
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Welsh sides have declined at the same time most of them aren't playing in the top European Cup. Cardiff used to give the Cup a good crack a fair bit of the time, which generated a bit of interest. But now they don't qualify, because they're a poor league team. It's hard to believe they actually backed English measures that saw fewer of their sides qualify. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

leinsterforever wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:16 pm I don't think it's a coincidence that the Welsh sides have declined at the same time most of them aren't playing in the top European Cup. Cardiff used to give the Cup a good crack a fair bit of the time, which generated a bit of interest. But now they don't qualify, because they're a poor league team. It's hard to believe they actually backed English measures that saw fewer of their sides qualify. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!
It was the "hands across the Severn" time. The english hinted that they might start up an Anglo Welsh League, but they didn't.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Not our problem anymore. We've got our new Saffer pals to compete and divvy up the TV monies with.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A few years ago Scarlets won the URC and made a Heineken Cup semi. Average attendance went up about 50%. WRU didn't stop that team being gutted.

They should have moved heaven and earth to keep them trucking.

They had a fix in their hand and they threw it away because Scarlets were the wrong region. It doesn't suit the right agendas though so something else has to be blamed.

There are no solutions until Welsh rugby is willing to accept the consequences of unequal success.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 6:43 pm A few years ago Scarlets won the URC and made a Heineken Cup semi. Average attendance went up about 50%. WRU didn't stop that team being gutted.

They should have moved heaven and earth to keep them trucking.

They had a fix in their hand and they threw it away because Scarlets were the wrong region. It doesn't suit the right agendas though so something else has to be blamed.

There are no solutions until Welsh rugby is willing to accept the consequences of unequal success.
Bang on and they also then lost the fans support by gutting the scarlets, who being honest were playing some really attractive rugby at the time. They think their sh!t smells wonderful and that the English clubs would move mountains to have them join. Truth is English clubs see them as nothing as they have never come close to winning a European cup.

I for one am delighted we now have the SA teams as they will grow this league with us.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We need decent Welsh teams. Better for us even if we have to win less.

A better more competitive league raises player standards and attracts more fans.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:39 pm We need decent Welsh teams. Better for us even if we have to win less.

A better more competitive league raises player standards and attracts more fans.
We needed decent Welsh teams. They didn't get their act together. Now we've got decent South African teams in our league, we don't "need" decent Welsh teams anymore. I would love them to sort out the mess over there, not just for the league or for us but for their own fans and rugby community, but I'm not going to worry about it anymore. The Welsh will do whatever they want and good luck to them.

I'm old enough to remember to when the Welsh were the kings, nay the gods of NH rugby. To have let the game in the Principality sink so low, that they're considering axing one of the four franchises is an absolute disgrace. They should be ashamed of the mess they've made of things.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

riocard911 wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:40 pm
ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:39 pm We need decent Welsh teams. Better for us even if we have to win less.

We needed decent Welsh teams. They didn't get their act together. Now we've got decent South African teams in our league, we don't "need" decent Welsh teams anymore. I would love them to sort out the mess over there, not just for the league or for us but for their own fans and rugby community, but I'm not going to worry about it anymore. The Welsh will do whatever they want and good luck to them.

I'm old enough to remember to when the Welsh were the kings, nay the gods of NH rugby. To have let the game in the Principality sink so low, that they're considering axing one of the four franchises is an absolute disgrace. They should be ashamed of the mess they've made of things.
Plus they have never done a single thing to help irish rugby….yeah I’m not holding any grudges 😂
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:39 pm
Doesn't seem to attract Welsh fans from this year's evidence. Nor raise their standards.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote: May 11th, 2022, 10:03 am
ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:39 pm
Doesn't seem to attract Welsh fans from this year's evidence. Nor raise their standards.
It did fast when Scarlets were good. It did for every province in Ireland when they hit form. Form drove fans far more than facilities ever did, but facilities do still drive things for some fans, especially those who don't want terraces.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I just meant that a better league made the Welsh go further down, driving down attendance.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:40 pm

I also remember when the Welsh were kings, the Lions had an All Ponty front row if I recall! It would certainly be better if they were strong and competitive, that only helps them. The reality though is that they are a small population and soccer has taken over. The Welsh soccer team has had it's most successful period ever, they have had 2 teams recently in the Premier League and they have had a Welsh global megastar playing soccer (and golf) in Madrid.

Many of the Welsh towns are really poor to be honest and fans struggle to afford to go to games too.

You look at all of that and you realise the miracles Gatland performed with their structure and player base.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ospreys started the season won 5 lost 2 including home wins against Munster and Ulster. Then Omicron hit and they were won 2 lost 9 including cancelled games. It blew up their season and they threw in the towel. If they start next season with a clean slate rather than continuing the slump then it might be much more competitive. They played 8 at home and won 7.

Cardiff were won 3 lost 2 before the SA tour disaster. Then they lost 12 games winning 2 (+ a walkover). Oddly one of those wins was against us when they had 14 internationals shortly before the start of the 6N.

The URC might actually be a lot healthier than it looks.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: May 11th, 2022, 2:19 pm Ospreys started the season won 5 lost 2 including home wins against Munster and Ulster. Then Omicron hit and they were won 2 lost 9 including cancelled games. It blew up their season and they threw in the towel. If they start next season with a clean slate rather than continuing the slump then it might be much more competitive. They played 8 at home and won 7.

Cardiff were won 3 lost 2 before the SA tour disaster. Then they lost 12 games winning 2 (+ a walkover). Oddly one of those wins was against us when they had 14 internationals shortly before the start of the 6N.

The URC might actually be a lot healthier than it looks.
I hope you are correct in your assessment, Ronk. I apologise, if I've sounded dismissive. That's down to frustration, as I don't just remember how great Wales were, I also see so many of their fine players like AWJ, Navidi et al giving their all to their clubs and getting very little support from the powers that be. I too would love to see them competitive in the URC and the Heino, but as Flash Gordon points out, the economies of scale in Wales make that difficult.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The WRU's yearly revenue is much greater than the IRFU. If we are close to the E80m mark in a normal season they are getting close to E100m. Where does all the money go?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Welsh regions have little depth to their squads so when they have to play without their internationals or get injuries, they tend to suffer quite a bit more than we do. WRU are poor at releasing squad players back to the regions during the international periods too.

Ospreys have a decent first choice pack when everyone's fit and available, even if it is more suited to winter than summer rugby. Even more so with Tipuric being injured for so long.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote: May 11th, 2022, 2:35 pm The WRU's yearly revenue is much greater than the IRFU. If we are close to the E80m mark in a normal season they are getting close to E100m. Where does all the money go?
Club rugby, hotel, stadium debt etc
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote: May 11th, 2022, 2:38 pm
blockhead wrote: May 11th, 2022, 2:35 pm The WRU's yearly revenue is much greater than the IRFU. If we are close to the E80m mark in a normal season they are getting close to E100m. Where does all the money go?
Club rugby, hotel, stadium debt etc
Stadium cost £121 million in the 90s, we also plough money into club rugby with a similar number of clubs. Not how debt compares but our stadium was more expensive and more recent and we have the mortgage on Thomand Park too. The regions get Dragons £3.4m, Cardiff Blues £4.9m, Ospreys £5.3m, Scarlets £6m. The difference is probably the regions lack of ability to raise commercial funding which Leinster are pretty good at.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us