Gordon D'Arcy

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by johng »

11 points clear even if we lose 300 nil tomorrow. Good job
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:44 pm 11 points clear even if we lose 300 nil tomorrow. Good job
We could lose by that scoreline and not have the worst points difference in the league.

This is actually one of our hardest games though.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although the Scarlets win brings them within touching distance of Connacht, their win tonight over the Bulls, coupled with Ulster's excellent 5 try victory over the Stormers are great results for Irish Provinces.

The results confirm that playing in N Hemsphere is difficult for SA teams and, despite their numbers, the Franchises don't have as much strength in depth as the quality of their first-str8ngs suggest.

For all of them, there's a big gap to level two players, at least in teamwork and strategy and you can't win in our League without those attributes.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 28th, 2023, 12:03 am Although the Scarlets win brings them within touching distance of Connacht, their win tonight over the Bulls, coupled with Ulster's excellent 5 try victory over the Stormers are great results for Irish Provinces.

The results confirm that playing in N Hemsphere is difficult for SA teams and, despite their numbers, the Franchises don't have as much strength in depth as the quality of their first-str8ngs suggest.

For all of them, there's a big gap to level two players, at least in teamwork and strategy and you can't win in our League without those attributes.
Last time I looked, Stormers were the reigning champions. At the end of the day losing matches on the road/here or there is irrelevant. Making the playoffs is the bottom line. Manage that and then win all your ko games, no one gives a fiddler's what path you took to claim the trophy in the end.

P.s. Going into the playoffs undefeated or as top dog - be it ERCC or URC - brings its own pressures, as we ourselves know better than anyone.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Just met Stormers in Dublin airport, heading home. Talked to one or two. Flying back via Doha. Evan Roos being carted around in a wheelchair, leg in a cast. Say he'll be out for a while.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Because of the calendar, a few teams made early plans to lose this game anyway. But then it turned out to be a much more important game.

Treviso threw in the towel on the Munster visit when the announced the fixtures. Stormers had to rotate for player welfare but probably now are wondering because Ulster were more vulnerable they looked pre-season. Cardiff used it to their advantage last year. The Bulls probably just cost themselves a shot at a home semi final.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I don’t know what sort of sides the Saffas picked in terms of front liners / second tier but one would have thought that they should be targeting these matches given that the NH sides are impacted by 6 Nations call ups.
The likes of Connacht and munster should also benefit from having relatively few internationals (12 of munster’s starting XV for Benetton were involved in their H Cup match last week compared to six for Leinster)
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Blue Man wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:06 pm I don’t know what sort of sides the Saffas picked in terms of front liners / second tier but one would have thought that they should be targeting these matches given that the NH sides are impacted by 6 Nations call ups.
The likes of Connacht and munster should also benefit from having relatively few internationals (12 of munster’s starting XV for Benetton were involved in their H Cup match last week compared to six for Leinster)
The participation agreement between the South African Rugby Union and the players Union insists that international players get something like a 30 day stand down during the season. This is because the internationals have to play the Rugby Championship during the URC offseason.

Most South African teams are giving their stand down periods at the moment as there are less games on due to the six nations and a lot of games are derbies.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Sharks beat Edinburgh in Edinburgh, 19-22. Some Saffers do travel it seems...
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:16 pm Sharks beat Edinburgh in Edinburgh, 19-22. Some Saffers do travel it seems...
An Edinburgh win would have been desirable but Connacht will be thankful for the chance to make up ground.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:47 pm
riocard911 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:16 pm Sharks beat Edinburgh in Edinburgh, 19-22. Some Saffers do travel it seems...
An Edinburgh win would have been desirable but Connacht will be thankful for the chance to make up ground.
Big time!
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

naraic wrote: January 28th, 2023, 5:11 pm
Blue Man wrote: January 28th, 2023, 2:06 pm I don’t know what sort of sides the Saffas picked in terms of front liners / second tier but one would have thought that they should be targeting these matches given that the NH sides are impacted by 6 Nations call ups.
The participation agreement between the South African Rugby Union and the players Union insists that international players get something like a 30 day stand down during the season. This is because the internationals have to play the Rugby Championship during the URC offseason.

Most South African teams are giving their stand down periods at the moment as there are less games on due to the six nations and a lot of games are derbies.
Thanks Naraic, good perspective.
3/4 losses for Saffas this weekend, not exactly boxing clever in terms of league points.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Wins for all four Provinces is impressive and lots of points scored, averaging just under 40!
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Am I correct in saying that we’ve qualified for the playoffs? Slightly difficult to affirm giving the conference aspect but I think we’re mathematically safe with five games to go!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blue Man wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:16 pm Am I correct in saying that we’ve qualified for the playoffs? Slightly difficult to affirm giving the conference aspect but I think we’re mathematically safe with five games to go!
There are a possible 25 points. We're 30 ahead of the 9th place team.

We're also 27 points ahead of Treviso, which is the real marker if Cardiff stay out of the top 8.

Head to heads probably make it far less likely that all the teams could catch us. But they don't matter at this stage anyway.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Blue Man wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:16 pm Am I correct in saying that we’ve qualified for the playoffs? Slightly difficult to affirm giving the conference aspect but I think we’re mathematically safe with five games to go!
Yes. We’ve guaranteed our place in the playoffs, Conference aspect has no relevance towards the playoffs though, only qualification for the Heineken Cup.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

ronk wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:42 pm
There are a possible 25 points. We're 30 ahead of the 9th place team.

We're also 27 points ahead of Treviso, which is the real marker if Cardiff stay out of the top 8.

Head to heads probably make it far less likely that all the teams could catch us. But they don't matter at this stage anyway.
Stormers, Ulster, Glasgow have a potential 30 points up for grabs and Sharks ‘could’ pick up 35.

But none of that matters because it’s top 8 into playoffs now and not just top 4!!!!!
Last edited by Xanthippe on January 28th, 2023, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

cormac wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:44 pm
Yes. We’ve guaranteed our place in the playoffs, Conference aspect has no relevance towards the playoffs though, only qualification for the Heineken Cup.
Never mind - I forgot it was top 8 now and not just top 4. There are only 6 teams who ‘could’ overtake us if we lost our last 5 games without any bonus points.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

HT: Sharks 7-24 Stormers
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

riocard911 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 12:54 pm HT: Sharks 7-24 Stormers
7-38 towards the end. Stormers have 5 tries.