Dave Cahill wrote: May 15th, 2023, 9:23 am
A couple of weeks ago I'd have said Johnny Fean, but sadly... :(
:( :(
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Bigdickenergy
Bookworm

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Bigdickenergy »

The video of the stormers celebrating that Munster result….little bit over the top no? I know they’ve got a home final which is great for them but if I were Munster I’d still feel a little disrespected by that. Celebrating like they’d won the whole thing. Suppose the same thing could be said for Munster celebrating the win over Leinster but at least that was an actual game they won that they celebrated, a tough away game at that, not the result of someone else.
Colmodon
Knowledgeable

Post by Colmodon »

Bigdickenergy wrote: May 15th, 2023, 10:00 am The video of the stormers celebrating that Munster result….little bit over the top no? I know they’ve got a home final which is great for them but if I were Munster I’d still feel a little disrespected by that. Celebrating like they’d won the whole thing. Suppose the same thing could be said for Munster celebrating the win over Leinster but at least that was an actual game they won that they celebrated, a tough away game at that, not the result of someone else.
Imagine the financial impact of avoiding the outlay on another set of flights and accommodation for 40+ people while also getting to host a final is pretty enormous
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Bottom line is they get a home final and one they can win. Travel to Dublin means for most fans watching it on the box and a full bore Leinster.

Entirely understand it.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Bigdickenergy wrote: May 15th, 2023, 10:00 am The video of the stormers celebrating that Munster result….little bit over the top no? I know they’ve got a home final which is great for them but if I were Munster I’d still feel a little disrespected by that. Celebrating like they’d won the whole thing. Suppose the same thing could be said for Munster celebrating the win over Leinster but at least that was an actual game they won that they celebrated, a tough away game at that, not the result of someone else.
Home final, no travel and favourites knocked out. Many reasons to be cheerful though Munster may chose to use it that way..
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Blueberry

Bottom line is they get a home final and one they can win. Travel to Dublin means for most fans watching it on the box and a full bore Leinster.

Entirely understand it.

Same. Big occasion for them (again). More money in the coffers at home and a team they feel they can beat. I'd be happy also.

I hope for both teams that the pitch gets some TLC, apparently it was not in good shape for the Connacht game.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 15th, 2023, 9:23 am
RoboProp wrote: May 14th, 2023, 7:12 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: May 14th, 2023, 10:59 am That was Keith Earls last game on Irish soil in front of Munster supporters. If they had elephants, an Aer Corps flypast, and Brian May soloing through "Limerick you're a Lady" from atop one of the stands, that'd be okay by me
It would have to be Moyross's own Noel Hogan instead of Brian May
A couple of weeks ago I'd have said Johnny Fean, but sadly... :(
I remember the first time I heard Dearg Doom, I was working as a lounge boy in the local collecting glasses and the live band on did a cover of it, I was instantly transfixed. I got the name of the song and the artist and the next day I parted with some hard earned cash with Tommy Tighe in the Sound Cellar. The year after Put Em Under Pressure comes out and you can't escape the riff, what a gift to the world.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

RoboProp wrote: May 15th, 2023, 12:08 pm The year after Put Em Under Pressure comes out and you can't escape the riff, what a gift to the world.
That old favourite, 'Trad.Arr.' to be fair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLciCDGrQgg
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

What do people prefer, the URC and Champions Cup final a week apart like this year, or a few weeks apart like last year?

I know some of the great teams back in the day were able to win both league and Champions Cup one week apart, and in one sense I would like us to do the same, set the bar as high as possible. But I also think from the particular view point of the Irish teams, we will always prioritise europe in a way the english and french never will.

I would much rather if we are going to be beaten, then be beaten properly like last year by the Bulls. But this year, finishing the regular league so far in front, and then fielding a weakened team a week out from the Champions cup final, and then being beaten, just leaves me feeling very "nothing" about the whole thing. Like what was the point.

Ultimately, I think it devalues the whole enterprise, and if we want the league to be considered an equal among the other 2 leagues, then we need to see all teams fielding their strongest and having a proper finale to the league, ie lets have the Champions Cup, followed by QF/Barrage, SF, and F to URC.

PS I know a lot of people will say the Champions Cup should be the last game of the season, but the english and the french will never give in to that.

PPS I expect this year is probably due to the world cup, and next year we are starting quite late, so there probably will be a gap between the finals anyway. I haven't seen a calendar published yet.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

heno wrote: May 16th, 2023, 12:51 am What do people prefer, the URC and Champions Cup final a week apart like this year, or a few weeks apart like last year?

I know some of the great teams back in the day were able to win both league and Champions Cup one week apart, and in one sense I would like us to do the same, set the bar as high as possible. But I also think from the particular view point of the Irish teams, we will always prioritise europe in a way the english and french never will.

I would much rather if we are going to be beaten, then be beaten properly like last year by the Bulls. But this year, finishing the regular league so far in front, and then fielding a weakened team a week out from the Champions cup final, and then being beaten, just leaves me feeling very "nothing" about the whole thing. Like what was the point.

Ultimately, I think it devalues the whole enterprise, and if we want the league to be considered an equal among the other 2 leagues, then we need to see all teams fielding their strongest and having a proper finale to the league, ie lets have the Champions Cup, followed by QF/Barrage, SF, and F to URC.

PS I know a lot of people will say the Champions Cup should be the last game of the season, but the english and the french will never give in to that.

PPS I expect this year is probably due to the world cup, and next year we are starting quite late, so there probably will be a gap between the finals anyway. I haven't seen a calendar published yet.
the URC and HCup knockouts came too fast after each other, I'd much rather a couple of week gap after the Cup final. Also the 1/4 final for the URC is just not needed
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If we want to promote the URC as the premium competition that it is, we need to give it space to breathe and flex it's muscles. Squeezing in so many knockout rounds of multiple competitions week on week doesn't do either competition any favours. We need to leave two weeks lead-in to the semi-finals of Europe and the semi-finals in the URC. Now if that means the URC has to go deep into June, so be it
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I doubt the URC are thrilled with another final in SA. They get the gate for the final and selling tickets at €5 a piece even if you fill the place won't match say a 40K crowd in the Aviva.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 16th, 2023, 10:50 am If we want to promote the URC as the premium competition that it is, we need to give it space to breathe and flex it's muscles. Squeezing in so many knockout rounds of multiple competitions week on week doesn't do either competition any favours. We need to leave two weeks lead-in to the semi-finals of Europe and the semi-finals in the URC. Now if that means the URC has to go deep into June, so be it
Yeah I think this is right. Having 5 weekends of knock out rugby is expensive and difficult to negotiate with herself. I'm never booking up a month of matches like this again apparently
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I think having 8 teams in the playoffs is nonsense too. Should be top 4, semi and final. We’re making the same mistake as the Champions Cup and trying to milk the knockout stages.

I also think that to win the league, it should be a requirement that you actually do well in the league. 3rd vs 5th to “win” the league is a joke, but that’s what we have right now.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I think Connacht and Munster haved proved the case for the top 8 QFs tbh.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by paddyor

Yeah I think this is right. Having 5 weekends of knock out rugby is expensive and difficult to negotiate with herself. I'm never booking up a month of matches like this again apparently
That's another factor having people travelling/buying marked-up tickets to these games every week is a pull on the old wallett. It's much easier to explain to the partner when there's a period apart.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 16th, 2023, 10:50 am If we want to promote the URC as the premium competition that it is, we need to give it space to breathe and flex it's muscles. Squeezing in so many knockout rounds of multiple competitions week on week doesn't do either competition any favours. We need to leave two weeks lead-in to the semi-finals of Europe and the semi-finals in the URC. Now if that means the URC has to go deep into June, so be it
Couldn't agree more. Both competitions have extended the knockout stages so to win both you have to win 7 games week after week many of which are close to test match intensity. When you have a club that has played more than 60 players in a season using a semi final to rotate players you know you've messed up. As you say spacing would improve the standard of the competition and it has the potential to be the best league competition in the world.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 16th, 2023, 2:33 pm
Couldn't agree more. Both competitions have extended the knockout stages so to win both you have to win 7 games week after week many of which are close to test match intensity. When you have a club that has played more than 60 players in a season using a semi final to rotate players you know you've messed up. As you say spacing would improve the standard of the competition and it has the potential to be the best league competition in the world.
And as someone suggested earlier a bye to the SF for the top two seeds, however the playoffs are managed but six teams seems like a better fit
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote: May 16th, 2023, 4:36 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: May 16th, 2023, 2:33 pm
And as someone suggested earlier a bye to the SF for the top two seeds, however the playoffs are managed but six teams seems like a better fit
As someone who raised it. I think Connacht and Munster winning mean that won't happen.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

This and/or eliminate the 1/4 final of the URC.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!