A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:05 pm
Oldschool wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:57 pm
blockhead wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm The fact that the teams in the URC are weaker (bar the top 3 Irish) than those in Super Rugby, could be a good thing. The South Africans won 3 Super Rugby Titles in 24 attempts (all Bulls) and those were way back in the day. Being more competitive and lets face it, thrashing teams at home should bring in more fans. Competing for titles and European rugby too all in all could make it a much more enjoyable experience for the Saffer punters. Not to mention all games on during non-sleeping hours.

Leave a gap between semis and final, have home country advantage to the top seed.
Add in a trip to the sophisticated delights of the NH as opposed to a jet lagged trip east/west.
Do you mean Newport or Cork?
https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby ... us-owners/
Newport, Rhode Island would fit the bill nicely. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Stormers Team to play Scarlets:
Stormers to play Scarlets — Warrick Gelant; Seabelo Senatla, Ruhan Nel, Damian Willemse, Leolin Zas; Manie Libbok, Stefan Ungerer; Evan Roos, Hacjivah Dayimani, Deon Fourie; Marvin Orie, Salmaan Moerat; Frans Malherbe, JJ Kotze, Steven Kitshoff (captain). Substitutes: Andre-Hugo Venter, Brok Harris, Neethling Fouche, Ernst van Rhyn, Nama Xaba, Marcel Theunissen; Godlen Masimla, Cornel Smit.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

blockhead wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:59 am Stormers Team to play Scarlets:
Stormers to play Scarlets — Warrick Gelant; Seabelo Senatla, Ruhan Nel, Damian Willemse, Leolin Zas; Manie Libbok, Stefan Ungerer; Evan Roos, Hacjivah Dayimani, Deon Fourie; Marvin Orie, Salmaan Moerat; Frans Malherbe, JJ Kotze, Steven Kitshoff (captain). Substitutes: Andre-Hugo Venter, Brok Harris, Neethling Fouche, Ernst van Rhyn, Nama Xaba, Marcel Theunissen; Godlen Masimla, Cornel Smit.
I'd hate to be a commentator for that one.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Benetton beating Cardiff 43-14 can’t really get any worse this season for the Welsh teams
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:15 pm Benetton beating Cardiff 43-14 can’t really get any worse this season for the Welsh teams
It got worse. Finished 69-21!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A lot worse. Some lovely tries from the makers of fine italian sweaters
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I never could figure out the Benetton shop in Stephen’s green, was there a guys and a girls section? Were all the clothes unisex. I do know for sure that they did sizes S M and L but didn’t seem to cater for LHP
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Conceding 69 to an Italian team is nothing short of a disgrace. The attitude of Welsh teams in our league is mystifying. It must be dreadful being a supporter of such consistently apathetic sides
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Benetton 69-21 Cardiff
Holy sh!t, and its 29 points for Rhyno Smith.
Probably a Team and player record for the reigning Rainbow Cup Champions.
Cardiff.....hang your heads.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ospreys get a TBP and a LBP in the last minute to really put it up to Scarlets tomorrow. Scarlets really need to beat Stormers or they're out of the Heino.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

enby wrote: May 20th, 2022, 10:13 pm Conceding 69 to an Italian team is nothing short of a disgrace. The attitude of Welsh teams in our league is mystifying. It must be dreadful being a supporter of such consistently apathetic sides
The fans and the media tend to be on the apathetic sides themselves, just waiting for the English to swoop in and save them.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

FLIP wrote: May 20th, 2022, 10:23 pm
enby wrote: May 20th, 2022, 10:13 pm Conceding 69 to an Italian team is nothing short of a disgrace. The attitude of Welsh teams in our league is mystifying. It must be dreadful being a supporter of such consistently apathetic sides
The fans and the media tend to be on the apathetic sides themselves, just waiting for the English to swoop in and save them.
Just what the Premiership needs, 3 or 4 more sh!te teams in the League.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Welsh rugby is in a really poor way from the looks of things. I remember when I was a kid growing up [late 80s into the 90s] that Wales were bad – not far off being as bad as us.* Back then the bugbear was rugby league taking their best players. So it must have been the amateur era.

Jonathan Davies, John Devereaux, Richard Webster, Scott Gibbs and Scott Quinnell were the ones I remember leaving for the northern code, but the biggest fuss was about Davies [by a mile]. There was article after article about 'The Welsh Flyhalf Factory' having shut down along with the coal mines. They were always talking about the teams of the 1970s.

Gatland brought them a hell of a lot of success over a decade after Ruddock broke the duck in 2005, but they look in serious trouble now. Their U20s have finished either fourth or fifth in the last five years of the U20 Six Nations, and their regions are p*ss poor.

Five years in a row of bad U20s results means that you are going to have a huge hole in your squad at some stage [it's already happening, in my opinion]; the regions being poor means that there's not much chance of those players getting great coaching, learning good habits and making significant improvements between 20-25 years old.

*I just checked and Wales only won Five Nations trophies in the 1980s and 1990s, in 1988 and 1994. We actually won more – winners in 1982 and 1985 and a share in 1983.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

hugonaut wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:13 pm
Welsh rugby is in a really poor way from the looks of things. I remember when I was a kid growing up [late 80s into the 90s] that Wales were bad – not far off being as bad as us.* Back then the bugbear was rugby league taking their best players. So it must have been the amateur era.

Jonathan Davies, John Devereaux, Richard Webster, Scott Gibbs and Scott Quinnell were the ones I remember leaving for the northern code, but the biggest fuss was about Davies [by a mile]. There was article after article about 'The Welsh Flyhalf Factory' having shut down along with the coal mines. They were always talking about the teams of the 1970s.

Gatland brought them a hell of a lot of success over a decade after Ruddock broke the duck in 2005, but they look in serious trouble now. Their U20s have finished either fourth or fifth in the last five years of the U20 Six Nations, and their regions are p*ss poor.

Five years in a row of bad U20s results means that you are going to have a huge hole in your squad at some stage [it's already happening, in my opinion]; the regions being poor means that there's not much chance of those players getting great coaching, learning good habits and making significant improvements between 20-25 years old.

*I just checked and Wales only won Five Nations trophies in the 1980s and 1990s, in 1988 and 1994. We actually won more – winners in 1982 and 1985 and a share in 1983.
Problem is they think their club game is a great standard and while I’m sure the games are great to watch at a local level, the standard of play is at a much lower level than the likes of the URC or Europe and as a result they don’t improve. The Scot’s are even well ahead of them now and on the back of tonight Benetton have won a cup in the last year and given a serious drubbing to one of their top provinces.
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Regions!!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Watching Connacht v Zebre. 17-3 after 25. It has to be said that Zebre are even worse than expected. It really is difficult to see what they offer other than a half decent scrum. Some awful defending from them.

Connacht are doing ok, nothing special. Thornbury excellent in lineout.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Feckin great weekend of Rugby.
Ulster/Sharks last night, Benetton giving Cardiff a very unenjoyable 69. Bulls looking really good too.
Today, Connacht squeezed past Zebre, Stormers scored a try at the death to secure a home QF and probable SF. And then of course, the Leinster whippersnappers tore Munster a new one.
Brilliant stuff.
The URC needs days like this
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

blockhead wrote:Feckin great weekend of Rugby.
Ulster/Sharks last night, Benetton giving Cardiff a very unenjoyable 69. Bulls looking really good too.
Today, Connacht squeezed past Zebre, Stormers scored a try at the death to secure a home QF and probable SF. And then of course, the Leinster whippersnappers tore Munster a new one.
Brilliant stuff.
The URC needs days like this
This weekend was, to quote Orla McCool, pure cracker
I have Bumbleflex
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

No doubt the usual suspects in the media will see it as the league being a rubbish relative of the Heineken Cup because Munster lost to Leinster B-, Connacht were Connact and . . . .ummm is there a 4th province?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Connacht recruits gave real value in Aviva. Adam Byrne only needs game time. Peter Dooley will be a revelation to the West. Josh Murphy is now a senior forward for big games.

Good luck to them all. They've paid their dues in Blue jerseys.