United Rugby Championship

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: United Rugby Championship

Post by Oldschool »

Think the debt on the Millennium was clear a few years ago and earlier than originally planned.
On top of that the WRU usually get a few lucrative non rugby related paydays ever year.
On the face of it availability of money isn't an issue anymore.
Which of course raises the obvious question.
What is the problem?
Are the WRU properly focused on what is best for Welsh rugby.
You've only to look at the EPRC to see how not having the right focus can damage a competition.
More interested in optics than reality.
A simple example.
Why is next year's HCC final schedule for Spur's stadium?
That's money going out of Rugby Inc and into Soccer Inc.
It's madness and it's bo!!ox.
Why is their HQ located in an effectively non rugby playing country with exchange rate risks and high salary, housing etc costs. A lovely place to visit so maybe it's just jollies for the boys.
FFS
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Oldschool wrote: May 11th, 2022, 4:15 pm Think the debt on the Millennium was clear a few years ago and earlier than originally planned.
On top of that the WRU usually get a few lucrative non rugby related paydays ever year.
On the face of it availability of money isn't an issue anymore.
Which of course raises the obvious question.
What is the problem?
Are the WRU properly focused on what is best for Welsh rugby.
You've only to look at the EPRC to see how not having the right focus can damage a competition.
More interested in optics than reality.
A simple example.
Why is next year's HCC final schedule for Spur's stadium?
That's money going out of Rugby Inc and into Soccer Inc.
It's madness and it's bo!!ox.
Why is their HQ located in an effectively non rugby playing country with exchange rate risks and high salary, housing etc costs. A lovely place to visit so maybe it's just jollies for the boys.
FFS
They normally play an extra fixture around the Autumn Internationals. These are worth between £6m and £10m. Income is definitely not their problem.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: May 11th, 2022, 2:32 pm
ronk wrote: May 11th, 2022, 2:19 pm Ospreys started the season won 5 lost 2 including home wins against Munster and Ulster. Then Omicron hit and they were won 2 lost 9 including cancelled games. It blew up their season and they threw in the towel. If they start next season with a clean slate rather than continuing the slump then it might be much more competitive. They played 8 at home and won 7.

Cardiff were won 3 lost 2 before the SA tour disaster. Then they lost 12 games winning 2 (+ a walkover). Oddly one of those wins was against us when they had 14 internationals shortly before the start of the 6N.

The URC might actually be a lot healthier than it looks.
I hope you are correct in your assessment, Ronk. I apologise, if I've sounded dismissive. That's down to frustration, as I don't just remember how great Wales were, I also see so many of their fine players like AWJ, Navidi et al giving their all to their clubs and getting very little support from the powers that be. I too would love to see them competitive in the URC and the Heino, but as Flash Gordon points out, the economies of scale in Wales make that difficult.
I didn't think you were dismissive at all. The Welsh have underachieved badly below international level in the pro era and they've hit some painful own goals.

But they'll also had moments where they threatened to break out of their funk even in spite of their smaller base and flawed structures. In 2009 Cardiff lost the semi final on penalties with a team completely stocked with Lions. But they never sustained that success and faded away.

This year the Welsh regions quietly had some of their best results again Irish teams in as long as I can remember. They play when they believe they can win. It was the same when Treviso won the Rainbow Cup.

The calendar should have been friendlier this year. But the cancellations made everyone double up over the 6N. It exposed all the smaller squads. Ospreys and Scarlets are really only 2 wins away from the playoffs, that's not actually that much. And their season finishes early so they can reset.

One of the ways Connacht improved was quietly (!) learning to target the right games. They got up for big days against Leinster, then sleepwalked through far more winnable matches. Then they changed, they won at home against all but the top teams. Leinster learnt to rotate in interpros and keep some big names for the other games. Give those fans recognisable players and a better chance of winning. Derbies don't need the big names to be fun.

In the current calendar there are 3 home interpros and 6 home games against other URC teams. There are 2 Heineken Cup games. The money is in knockouts (up to 7 games next season), but after that the key is getting fans to those 6 home games.

It's completely counterintuitive to the current Welsh thinking. They think Judgement Day. But do fans really want doubleheaders (with 3 sets of away fans)?
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The big difference between the regions and provinces is the amount of money the provinces generate. Not only are the provinces attendances much bigger in the URC alone but tickets are more expensive. Add to that sponsors, champions cup attendances and prize money even Ed Sheeran concerts. The tax break is another thing.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote: May 11th, 2022, 10:22 am
fourthirtythree wrote: May 11th, 2022, 10:03 am
ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:39 pm
A better more competitive league raises player standards and attracts more fans.
Doesn't seem to attract Welsh fans from this year's evidence. Nor raise their standards.
It did fast when Scarlets were good. It did for every province in Ireland when they hit form. Form drove fans far more than facilities ever did, but facilities do still drive things for some fans, especially those who don't want terraces.
Didn't raise the gate though.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... m-23919076

Wales online complaining now that the regions are outspending english clubs!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

£8m for that scarlets squad......
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

paddyor wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:32 pm £8m for that scarlets squad......
In comparison,the South African sides are apparently working off playing budgets of £3-4 Million.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Cardiff win away at Dragons. Two red cards being the highlights. Only significant outcome is that the Italians will not finish last and paddy last in the first URC table.
Cardiff looked nifty at times tbh. I gonna go out on a limb here......I think Cardiff could be the team to watch next season.
You read here first folks.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:05 pm Cardiff win away at Dragons. Two red cards being the highlights. Only significant outcome is that the Italians will not finish last and paddy last in the first URC table.
Cardiff looked nifty at times tbh. I gonna go out on a limb here......I think Cardiff could be the team to watch next season.
Blues Talk John will be thrilled!!!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

riocard911 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:13 pm
blockhead wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:05 pm Cardiff win away at Dragons. Two red cards being the highlights. Only significant outcome is that the Italians will not finish last and paddy last in the first URC table.
Would not shock me with dai young at the helm
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:28 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 11:13 pm
Would not shock me with dai young at the helm
Dragons had last minute kick towin it from 10M line - just wide- Cardiff werent that great TBH
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

du Toit joining Zebre for next season!

Jacques du Toit is leaving Bath and joining Zebre
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Kolisi just signed a 5 year deal extension with the Sharks.
Makazole Mapimpi has re-signed until 2025.

This comes on the back of the signings of Lukhanyo Am, Lionel Cronje, Grant Williams, Reniel Hugo, Emile van Heerden, Anthony Volmink and prop Dian Bleuler.

Some big start moving back home too. The South African sides could be a real handful next season.
Long time lurker
Beginner

Post by Long time lurker »

That's good news. It makes those teams better as well as the league.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote: May 19th, 2022, 2:02 pm Kolisi just signed a 5 year deal extension with the Sharks.

This comes on the back of the signings of Lukhanyo Am, Lionel Cronje, Grant Williams, Reniel Hugo, Emile van Heerden, Anthony Volmink and prop Dian Bleuler.

Some big start moving back home too. The South African sides could be a real handful next season.
The bigger and better the URC gets the less opportunity the English clubs have of influencing our destiny by constantly trying to break a successful European tournament because their model doesn't work!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The fact that the teams in the URC are weaker (bar the top 3 Irish) than those in Super Rugby, could be a good thing. The South Africans won 3 Super Rugby Titles in 24 attempts (all Bulls) and those were way back in the day. Being more competitive and lets face it, thrashing teams at home should bring in more fans. Competing for titles and European rugby too all in all could make it a much more enjoyable experience for the Saffer punters. Not to mention all games on during non-sleeping hours.

Leave a gap between semis and final, have home country advantage to the top seed.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: May 19th, 2022, 2:02 pm Kolisi just signed a 5 year deal extension with the Sharks.

rats deserting a Sinking Ship.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm The fact that the teams in the URC are weaker (bar the top 3 Irish) than those in Super Rugby, could be a good thing. The South Africans won 3 Super Rugby Titles in 24 attempts (all Bulls) and those were way back in the day. Being more competitive and lets face it, thrashing teams at home should bring in more fans. Competing for titles and European rugby too all in all could make it a much more enjoyable experience for the Saffer punters. Not to mention all games on during non-sleeping hours.

Leave a gap between semis and final, have home country advantage to the top seed.
Add in a trip to the sophisticated delights of the NH as opposed to a jet lagged trip east/west.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:57 pm
blockhead wrote: May 19th, 2022, 3:38 pm The fact that the teams in the URC are weaker (bar the top 3 Irish) than those in Super Rugby, could be a good thing. The South Africans won 3 Super Rugby Titles in 24 attempts (all Bulls) and those were way back in the day. Being more competitive and lets face it, thrashing teams at home should bring in more fans. Competing for titles and European rugby too all in all could make it a much more enjoyable experience for the Saffer punters. Not to mention all games on during non-sleeping hours.

Add in a trip to the sophisticated delights of the NH as opposed to a jet lagged trip east/west.
Do you mean Newport or Cork?
https://www.timeslive.co.za/sport/rugby ... us-owners/