Glasgow V Leinster Rainbow Cup Friday 4th June 2015

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Glasgow V Leinster Rainbow Cup Friday 4th June 2015

Post by cormac »

CiaranIrl wrote: June 5th, 2021, 2:05 pm Did Rob Russell come off the bench at all? Jimmy O'Brien was a total non entity on the left wing.
I thought Cian Kelleher showed up well. It seems really strange that we're letting Kelleher go to Ealing all things considered. There must be something else at play. The contract in Ealing can't be worth much.
Russell and Osborne didn't get on.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

JOB's playmaking and left boot are a bit wasted at wing.

I think he's clearly a 13 or 15.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote: June 5th, 2021, 2:05 pm Did Rob Russell come off the bench at all? Jimmy O'Brien was a total non entity on the left wing.
I thought Cian Kelleher showed up well. It seems really strange that we're letting Kelleher go to Ealing all things considered. There must be something else at play. The contract in Ealing can't be worth much.
Ealing have a lot of money behind them from Mike Gooley, founder of Trailfinders [the travel firm]. He's worth £300m+ and has put a huge amount of money into their club in terms of facilities for a range of sports and for the community. They seem like a well-resourced and well-organised outfit.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

hugonaut wrote: June 5th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Ealing have a lot of money behind them from Mike Gooley, founder of Trailfinders [the travel firm]. He's worth £300m+ and has put a huge amount of money into their club in terms of facilities for a range of sports and for the community. They seem like a well-resourced and well-organised outfit.
They also topped the shortened English championship table this season with 45 points from 10 games, averaging 50 points per match. They finished 5 points ahead of Saracens but unfortunately for Ealing they now face a two-legged play off against Saracens on June 13th and 20th to determine who gets promoted. Ealing's only defeat of the season was a 48-20 reverse away to Saracens so you'd imagine the cheaters are big favourites to beat them again.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

And if they do get beat by the cheats then kelleher will be wasting his time playing in the english second tier when he has the talent to be playing in the top 14, pro 14 or the premiership..its a baffling move especially when you think that we arent over loaded with wingers who are available for selection on a regular basis. Adam Byrne is top class when hes fit but that's not enough anymore. If the lad cant stay fit then hes not use. Conor O'Brien is also a concern when we are short at 12. Frawley is 50/50 most weeks for selection. The decision to allow kelleher to leave is a strange one when you see how good he can be and as a finisher hes as good as we have.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Christ, Kelleher is rank ordinary. If we've not got 4 or 5 better options than him than we really are struggling.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

What a stupid comment. Guy scores a try in most of the games he starts but hes 4th or 5th behind who exactly? Hes more than good enough to be a regular in the pro 14 and it's a big gamble to let him go when we only have Dave Kearney as our first choice for one wing. Who is better than kelleher then? And is available for the pro 14.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

When Kelleher was signed I thought it would have been better to hang on to Gavin Mullin and deploy ROL on the wing, and I haven't really changed my opinion on that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:01 am When Kelleher was signed I thought it would have been better to hang on to Gavin Mullin and deploy ROL on the wing, and I haven't really changed my opinion on that.

Gavin Mullin?! Are you joking?

Kelleher has been really good for us for two years. What the feck has Gavin Mullin done to indicate he's even near league level!

No idea why Kelleher is so underrated on here, he's definitely a loss and he has something that very few of our outside backs have, genuine pace off the mark. Better try per game ratio than the likes of Larmour & Adam Byrne too.

Watch the try he got the other night for example. Nothing special about it, just a nice step and a finish from a genuine winger.

He'll absolutely tear up the championship if Ealing don't go up.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Mullin improved drastically in his last year or two. I never got it with him at underage level and thought he was deeply average for the A team at first but he really kicked on massively and was a real standout. Something just seemed to click and I thought he’d be a great pickup for someone else, could easily have seen him doing a Tadhg Beirne at the time but he did an interview recently and said that he didn’t want to be a journeyman.

Apropos of nothing I’d love to see Larmour model his game on Cedric Heymans. He used to just hit the line like a train and then only use his footwork in open space once he’d got through. Larmour’s quick feet can be really useful in traffic but I just wish it wasn’t always his first instinct.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 7th, 2021, 2:44 pm Mullin improved drastically in his last year or two. I never got it with him at underage level and thought he was deeply average for the A team at first but he really kicked on massively and was a real standout. Something just seemed to click and I thought he’d be a great pickup for someone else, could easily have seen him doing a Tadhg Beirne at the time but he did an interview recently and said that he didn’t want to be a journeyman.
That might be, but Kelleher has been really good for two seasons at league level and scores a try every second game.

Mullin never even started a league for us and we're far better stocked at centre than wing.

It's a strange comparison to make in the first instance because they play different positions, but also because there's no quality comparison to be made at the moment between the two players!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wasn’t making any comparison, just saying Mullin was good by the end of his time here.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

wixfjord wrote: June 7th, 2021, 11:48 am
leinsterforever wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:01 am When Kelleher was signed I thought it would have been better to hang on to Gavin Mullin and deploy ROL on the wing, and I haven't really changed my opinion on that.

Gavin Mullin?! Are you joking?

Kelleher has been really good for us for two years. What the feck has Gavin Mullin done to indicate he's even near league level!

No idea why Kelleher is so underrated on here, he's definitely a loss and he has something that very few of our outside backs have, genuine pace off the mark. Better try per game ratio than the likes of Larmour & Adam Byrne too.

Watch the try he got the other night for example. Nothing special about it, just a nice step and a finish from a genuine winger.

He'll absolutely tear up the championship if Ealing don't go up.
Agreed - don't get the Kelleher negativity. We ain't exactly bursting at the seams on the wing and Kelleher is a good winger and pacy. Not bad in the air either. Ideal squad player for me - happy at Pro 14 and if we had injuries I would have no issue with him starting bigger games too. Lowe, Larmour and DK are the out and out wingers ahead of him for me anyway. Adam Byrne maybe but his injury record is really hampering him.

If he was released (and didn't go on his own accord) for me it's a strange one.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Kelleher has previously moved twice in his career and he's joining an ambitious club with cash.

I don't have inside knowledge but why would anyone think he was released?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Because Leinster are better than Ealing Trailfinders, I'd assume
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Frank Murphy has been appointed to referee SA V Georgia this summer. No comment.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I see Scott Fardy ascribing Andrew Porter's foot injury to Glasgow's plastic pitch. RO'G isn't a fan of them either. If was up to me, they'd be banned.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

the spoofer wrote: June 8th, 2021, 3:18 pm Frank Murphy has been appointed to referee SA V Georgia this summer. No comment.
Perhaps they are thinking about adding in commercial breaks into the game to sell more advertising like American Football.

With Frank 'Staring at me Monitor' Murphy they could easily squeeze in 15-20 ads in a game as he drags it out to near American Football lengths. And here is a message from our sponsors as Frank heads over to the monitor again.......

Frank could be the saviour of the game financially.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Blueberry wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:10 pm
the spoofer wrote: June 8th, 2021, 3:18 pm Frank Murphy has been appointed to referee SA V Georgia this summer. No comment.
Perhaps they are thinking about adding in commercial breaks into the game to sell more advertising like American Football.

With Frank 'Staring at me Monitor' Murphy they could easily squeeze in 15-20 ads in a game as he drags it out to near American Football lengths. And here is a message from our sponsors as Frank heads over to the monitor again.......

I couldn't care less about his love for the monitor. I care more about his obvious bias and incompetence.
Anyone But New Zealand
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

FLIP wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:14 pm
Blueberry wrote: June 9th, 2021, 2:10 pm

I couldn't care less about his love for the monitor. I care more about his obvious bias and incompetence.
They could incorporate that into the TV breaks, text Yes if Frank was right to penalise Leinster yet again and No if Frank was just being biased and incompetent.

At 50c a text this could be another cash cow and the more irate we get as Leinster fans the more money the whole thing will make....

Telling you this has legs...