Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

Post by Dave Cahill »

Atlas wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:23 pm What is the point of the goal line drop out after being held up?
Seems like you are punishing the attacking side for going after a try.
Its to reduce the amount of time lost to scrums - i can see world rugby getting rid of all non-knock on tries in the medium term
I have Bumbleflex
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Atlas wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:23 pm What is the point of the goal line drop out after being held up?
Its to reduce the amount of time lost to scrums - i can see world rugby getting rid of all non-knock on tries in the medium term
Ah I see.

I don't like it. Should be a 5m attacking free.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Atlas wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Ah I see.

I don't like it. Should be a 5m attacking free.
I think it’s also to encourage attacking teams to go wide instead of just hammering away either side of the ruck over and over
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:18 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:10 pm
cormac wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:09 pm Hard fought win. Thought Ulster played far better than they have done recently.
Agreed, that was a performance born, to a certain extent, out of embarrasment at recent efforts.
The intensity was absolutely top notch
Ferocious game. That was better than they have played against us in a number of seasons. Really enjoyed it ... apart from Toland's commentary which was the usual brand of faux-profound sh*te. Such a tool.

They forced a good few errors out of us and we made some of our own. Apart from Josh van der Flier, who makes no mistakes and cleans up after everybody else – what a player he is for us. Great to see Caelan Doris back out on the pitch, and very good to see Tommy getting a good run.

Fair play to Ross for getting through that match, he's obviously playing hurt. Good to see him bite down on the gumshield and get on with it.
Ross is playing like a quarterback with broken ribs. He should be very proud of his effort.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

At least the 3 weeks break will give us a chance to fix a couple of our out-halves. I thing we've only a half an OH left (or whatever percentage of Ross is fit)
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

A hat-tip to Bradley Roberts for that 'tache-mullet combo. Superb effort.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

remember thinking that was odd too.
Was it lost forward? i.e. instead of a 5 yard scrum for defending team they get a goal line drop out.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
remember thinking that was odd too.
Was it lost forward? i.e. instead of a 5 yard scrum for defending team they get a goal line drop out.
Nope. It's a bit like a "use it or lose it" philosophy. If you just pick and jam you run a risk.

Having said that, you do receive the ball so you're back attacking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Thought the attitudes towards the refs in both today’s games was interesting.
Very open and expressive disagreement with decisions. Stander post match, Madigan and whoever on our team.
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

alanair wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:09 pm Larmour needs some time off...
Are we going to forget how well he played against Exeter then? The Larmour criticism on here is baffling to me.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 14th, 2021, 10:26 pm
Not much point having props then if there’s no scrums. I think it’s an important part of the game. And I agree it does seem like you’re punishing the attacking side going for a try
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lock9541 wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:08 am
Not much point having props then if there’s no scrums. I think it’s an important part of the game. And I agree it does seem like you’re punishing the attacking side going for a try

Last night was a good demonstration why New Laws in rugby need to be trialled. This one has failed the 'trial'.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 15th, 2021, 8:51 am
Lock9541 wrote: May 15th, 2021, 1:08 am

Last night was a good demonstration why New Laws in rugby need to be trialled. This one has failed the 'trial'.
The worst example of it punishing the defending team was in the Munster match. Murray box kicked into the in goal area. Connacht tapped it down and had a kick out on the try line and not the 22.

So after kicking the ball away Munster received the ball 22 meters closer to the try line. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Great to see Caelen Doris, JOB & TOB back onto the pitch.

Thought Doris started slowly but grew into it.

JOB's left boot is a serious weapon. His penalty to the corner before HT was incredible.

TOB really looks 'to the manor born' though. Can't waitt to see him at a higher level. He has a mix of elusiveness, size and pace and just looks comfortable in many positions.

Between him & Osborne we are very well stocked at centre. Turner too. Would imagine at least one of those will be looked at as an outside back.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Would agree on Larmour btw, his accuracy at times is poor. Very sloppy.

I really wish someone would just shake him at times.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Anyone hear Lowe on the sideline by the way? Think Ferris mentioned it in commentary at the end. Non f%~king stop!
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Was it him just shouting whoooo everytime anyone made a tackle? Bit annoying.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

carlow man wrote: May 15th, 2021, 10:16 am Was it him just shouting whoooo everytime anyone made a tackle? Bit annoying.
Yep think so. Very annoying.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

blaker wrote: May 14th, 2021, 11:12 pm Thought the attitudes towards the refs in both today’s games was interesting.
Very open and expressive disagreement with decisions. Stander post match, Madigan and whoever on our team.
Yeah agree, the ref was getting really annoyed with the constant chat today. That time the ref told one of our lot to shut up, he should have just pinged us. As close to soccer as ive seen it.

If you ask me, the captains challenge seems to just give the captain an opportunity to argue with the ref relentlessly. Get rid of it.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

wixfjord wrote:
carlow man wrote: May 15th, 2021, 10:16 am Was it him just shouting whoooo everytime anyone made a tackle? Bit annoying.
Yep think so. Very annoying.
I loved it!

Unrelated - James Ryan is credited with 31 tackles last night