Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

Post by Twist »

It's the big one. At least, its the biggest one this week.

Ulster have now lost three in a row, which isn't a feeling they're used to. Despite Connacht's dramatic win against them, I think they'll present a sterner test in the forwards especially with some guys coming back in pissed off after losing to Tigers.

Hendo is the obvious star but Marty Moore should be back to shore up the the scrum. Himself and O'Sullivan should be fairly well motivated to prevent a fourth loss in a row coming against Leinster. Herring will also want to show that he's still ahead of RK. Their form isn't great though, obviously. In particular, O'Sullivan has had to play a lot for a young prop this season.

In the back row, Nick Timoney isn't a monster like Coetzee but as he showed against Leicester he can do serious damage in the loose. He'll likely have Jordi alongside him. Baloucoune and Cooney will probably be available again, although Addison won't after his ridiculous hit last week.

If they underperform again they'll know it could get ugly, but surely pride alone will get a performance out of them.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Twist wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:08 am It's the big one. At least, its the biggest one this week.

Ulster have now lost three in a row, which isn't a feeling they're used to. Despite Connacht's dramatic win against them, I think they'll present a sterner test in the forwards especially with some guys coming back in pissed off after losing to Tigers.

Hendo is the obvious star but Marty Moore should be back to shore up the the scrum. Himself and O'Sullivan should be fairly well motivated to prevent a fourth loss in a row coming against Leinster. Herring will also want to show that he's still ahead of RK. Their form isn't great though, obviously. In particular, O'Sullivan has had to play a lot for a young prop this season.

In the back row, Nick Timoney isn't a monster like Coetzee but as he showed against Leicester he can do serious damage in the loose. He'll likely have Jordi alongside him. Baloucoune and Cooney will probably be available again, although Addison won't after his ridiculous hit last week.

If they underperform again they'll know it could get ugly, but surely pride alone will get a performance out of them.
The big question this week .......... will we have an out-half?

Certainly a spare one on the bench looks a luxury too far :shock:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I normally hate suggestions that player x should be played in position y as an experiment.

So, I'd like to see Ringrose get some minutes in the 10 jersey - there were some things on Saturday that were quite interesting. Not sure that this is the game to do it in, but considering our injury of unfit 10s is ever growing....

I think if you're going to do something as dumb as this, you have to commit to it - so giving a lad 10 minutes at the end when things are usually disjointed and a little bit all over the place doesn't give any indication of whether it might work or not. Do it from the start
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Are we sure Ross is injured? Thought we just just took him off because the game was won and we have injuries.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:42 am Are we sure Ross is injured? Thought we just just took him off because the game was won and we have injuries.
No I'm not sure at all. I was assuming the opposite (i.e. they won't take off our only OH unless he was injuried), but you could be right.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

What's the craic with Sexton?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:42 am Are we sure Ross is injured? Thought we just just took him off because the game was won and we have injuries.
I don't know, wasn't really thinking about Byrne to be honest, just who else wasn't availalbe - H Byrne, Frawley, Sexton, JOB
I have Bumbleflex
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

He wasn’t taking some of the kicks while he was on so he definitely picked up something
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Avenger wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:56 am What's the craic with Sexton?
Told to take a 6 week break according to the ST. Not sure what date that’s from exactly but means he’s out this week anyway.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Lock9541 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 12:01 pm
He wasn’t taking some of the kicks while he was on so he definitely picked up something
He was still on though, he might be nursing something but I’d say he’s alright.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Avenger wrote: May 10th, 2021, 11:56 am What's the craic with Sexton?
Cullen said he was fairly close so who knows. Personally I'd like to see him stood down until September (and Ryan and Doris if it comes to that). I know that's probably not practical from an IRFU point of view at least, but I think Leinster could manage the rest of Rainbow cup without them. Also, I think it would be a huge statement from Leinster/IRFU which would generate a lot of goodwill for both if they were to do it.

I know I'm being a bit Idealist and there is finances to be considered from the IRFU, especially if there is to be an Irish tour (and there's probably other things I'm not considering) but it's just my thoughts.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Would we sign a joker? Cathal Marsh back from the US?
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:29 pm Would we sign a joker? Cathal Marsh back from the US?
He’s not a pro rugby player anymore. He plays with Terenure
Last edited by Lock9541 on May 10th, 2021, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:29 pm Would we sign a joker? Cathal Marsh back from the US?
Didn't he retire?
I have Bumbleflex
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:33 pm
Didn't he retire?
Yeah he got a job in Dublin afaik.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/obrien-and ... d=20LU0058

Doris and JOB should be available for Friday's game.

Week too soon for STP.

HIA for Conan on Saturday, going through the RTP protocols this week.

Shoulder and hamstring injuries for Frawley.

No mention of Ross Byrne.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Cheers. Didn't know/recall that.

I think Hawkshaw and Corkery are fit anyway.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Shoulder and hamstring for Frawley? Dunno what to say about that except that he's having absolutely no luck recently
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I would leave Frawley off now until next season. Let him rest up.

You could see how frustrated he has been on a few occasions recently coming off.

Overall he has had a fantastic season though.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Wouldn't mind seeing something like this on Friday:
Byrne, Kelleher, Furlong, Dev, Ryan, Murphy, VDF, Penny, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, Larmour, Keenan
Sheahan, Dooley, Porter, Baird, Doris, Osborne, Hawkshaw, TOB