Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't think the team is that strong. Kelleher on the bench, no Ed Byrne or Dooley, no Porter, Baird starting (don't think he's first choice myself), no Hugo, and Foley ahead of Osbourne who I assume is rated higher. It's not a weak side but I don't see it as any kind of signal of intent, it's just a mixture of who we have available and who needs games.

Is J-Lo injured? Haven't seen him mentioned but would have thought he'd play in at least one of these two games if he was available. And Hawkshaw? Don't think he was mentioned on Monday and I don't remember hearing about any setbacks after his most recent injury. Thought Connors was in contention for the LAR game too, I know he's listed as being injured but I'm guessing he had a setback as opposed just not being ready yet.

Really good side anyway, I'd expect a much better start than last week and very much looking forward to seeing James Ryan let off some steam. Thought Ringrose was good last week but expect a lot more now after another game under his belt, playing outside Robbie, and with a point to prove. Hope Larmour gets lots of ball and is just more direct...think I say that every week!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

munster#1 wrote: May 13th, 2021, 3:59 pm Well there’s certainly no confusion now as to Leinster’s intentions in the Rainbow Cup.

Like Munster, Leinster have again selected a very strong squad showing that they are not treating this as a development tournament as hoped for by many supporters.

This is shaping up to be a cracking game, but I’d be surprised if Ulster can stay within 25 points if that Leinster team.
In Fairness Leinster have done their development in the League and Europe over the last number of years. Munster have still ground to make up in that department and might have seen this as an opportunity to do just that. They obviously feel the need for a trophy of any description is a greater necessity then development at this time (which is their prerogative of course).
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TMC wrote: May 13th, 2021, 1:14 pm He was playing in the English Championship when he was signed. He was never capped by NZ, he wasn’t even a distant relation to the conversation. If he was that really good he would have been lined up to be capped by England after he arrived in Newcastle in 2009 - & they capped some seriously dicey players in the last decade. Gopperth was never in the conversation to be capped by England either as he just was not that good.
Gopperth was capped by the Junior All Blacks at a disqualifying level
I have Bumbleflex
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

The most notable strength for me is the Ulster team. That's a pretty tasty backline for a start. Few players there looking for international recognition.

Leinster as usual at this time of year puttong out players needing game time and still badly stuck at half back.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Leocaster has to consider lots of factors:

> Players in hope of National call-up in summer;
> Players in hope of Lions standby call-up;
> Players returning from long-term injury;
> 2021-22 Leinster Squad players with limited game time to date;
> Options for different Units in early Season 21-22 games when 8 Lions are unavailable.

When those and other considerations are taken into account, the selection is a careful blend. Personally delighted to see the "return" of some of the O'brien clan and Doris.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

And probably orders from on high to take the tournament seriously because of the South African teams.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 13th, 2021, 10:15 pm Leocaster has to consider lots of factors:

> Options for different Units in early Season 21-22 games when 8 Lions are unavailable.

When those and other considerations are taken into account, the selection is a careful blend. Personally delighted to see the "return" of some of the O'brien clan and Doris.
Are you expecting call ups to add to the 4 Leinster Lions? :D :D :D
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

munster#1 wrote: May 13th, 2021, 3:59 pm Well there’s certainly no confusion now as to Leinster’s intentions in the Rainbow Cup.

Like Munster, Leinster have again selected a very strong squad showing that they are not treating this as a development tournament as hoped for by many supporters.

This is shaping up to be a cracking game, but I’d be surprised if Ulster can stay within 25 points if that Leinster team.
I think we are doing both. Half the team are Champions Cup starters, half are not. I think this coaching ticket try to pick teams along the way that will win whatever tournament they are in which both accounts for the success in winning and the building of depth.

Leinster by 25 is way off in my view. They have fielded a very strong team, it's a derby and they have a lot to prove.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:55 am

I think we are doing both. Half the team are Champions Cup starters, half are not. I think this coaching ticket try to pick teams along the way that will win whatever tournament they are in which both accounts for the success in winning and the building of depth.

Leinster by 25 is way off in my view. They have fielded a very strong team, it's a derby and they have a lot to prove.
They just look like they're season ended 2 weeks ago. Maybe they'll be up for it but if Ulster are off 10% mentally it could be a bad beating
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Ulster’s biggest strength is their back line. Cooney, Hume, Mcilroy, Lyttle, Balacoune and Stockdale are all top quality players for me. I’m not a fan of McCloskey or Burns personally, but they’re far from weak links. I know Ulster have gone with Gilroy and Shanahan for this one, but they still have a great set of players out there.

Now, their biggest weakness is that pack. They have big names in there, current and former Lions, internationals, but whatever it is about them, they just haven’t stood up to us at all over the last few games. We’ve beaten them comfortably five times in a row now. They have been missing Henderson in recent games however, so it’s a boon getting him on the field for this one.

I can’t see past a Leinster win here personally but I think it’ll be tighter than usual.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

D4surfer wrote: May 14th, 2021, 9:18 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: May 13th, 2021, 10:15 pm Leocaster has to consider lots of factors:

Are you expecting call ups to add to the 4 Leinster Lions? :D :D :D
Absolutely. Through a combination of Premiership and Pro14 games before season end plus Lions training camp plus initial fixtures for Lions in Edinburgh and then S Africa, I expect a minimum of 4 Replacements to be required by mid-June. Statistically, this is on the low side for any international Squad in competition (6 Nation, Tri-Nations, RWC) where the assumptions is between 15-20% casualty rate - a proportion of whom will be treated and recover in Camp.

No specific predictions but 3 out of 37 players are hookers and you must name two for every game. Similar for scrum-halves & LHP.

There is a 'Replacements on Call' list but it hasn't been released yet. No current SH Tours planned for this summer so no call-ups anticipated from that source. But all the 6N teams will have International Squads in place through to the end of the Lions Tour, so everybody needed should be available.

I would expect 2/3 Irish players to be called in.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Our maul last week was devastating but it's hard to say how much of that was down to them or us. So if nothing else our mail should get a good test against a team which relies a lot on their maul themselves.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I agree 100%, this is not a first choice Leinster team, but given much of the commentary, from fans not coaches I must add, I had expected to see a fair few academy guys getting gametime and not the likes of Bent, Toner and Cronin in particular, and also the likes of Furlong, Ryan, Healy, Henshaw etc.

Not knocking Leinster at all. They fielding teams to win just like Munster.
I find it a pleasant surprise, but a surprise none the less.

To be honest, looking at the Leinster bench I would be surprised if Leinster win by less than 25 points, and it could actually be a fair bit more IMO.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Seeing how Ross goes in direct competition with Billy Burns will be very interesting. Although even a good performance tonight wouldn't wash away the taste of the La Rochelle match. Still, he could make a point here.

I don't think we'll win by anything like 25 points.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: May 14th, 2021, 1:30 pm

I agree 100%, this is not a first choice Leinster team, but given much of the commentary, from fans not coaches I must add, I had expected to see a fair few academy guys getting gametime and not the likes of Bent, Toner and Cronin in particular, and also the likes of Furlong, Ryan, Healy, Henshaw etc.

Not knocking Leinster at all. They fielding teams to win just like Munster.
I find it a pleasant surprise, but a surprise none the less.

To be honest, looking at the Leinster bench I would be surprised if Leinster win by less than 25 points, and it could actually be a fair bit more IMO.
You have to use the squad when you rotate. Cronin may be experienced but he last started on the 19th March and had 1 sub appearance since. Dan Sheehan has 3 appearances in the same time so it's just using everyone rather than flogging the starters.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Connacht are doing their bit to make this competition interesting so far
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Twist wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm Connacht are doing their bit to make this competition interesting so far
Carty on now though, so that's the end of that...
Dont Panic!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dexter wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:29 pm
Twist wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:04 pm Connacht are doing their bit to make this competition interesting so far
Have faith!
(Not in Carty but in his teammates)
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Laighin Break wrote: May 14th, 2021, 8:02 pm
Dexter wrote: May 14th, 2021, 7:29 pm
Have faith!
(Not in Carty but in his teammates)
Totally, me of little faith!
Well done Connacht.
Dont Panic!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

That’s an absolute shocker of a result for Munster at home to that Connacht team. Changes the complexion of the tournament however.