Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v. Ulster, Rainbow Cup, Fri 14 May, 20.15hrs

Post by cormac »

Would be good to see Vakh get a run out. He's been back in full training for a while now. Also looks from the sportsfile photos that Michael Milne is fit again too.

Johnny taking an active part in training although I'm guessing that's a "don't you dare hit me" bib he's wearing.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/2105050/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:29 pm Would we sign a joker? Cathal Marsh back from the US?
Interesting thought for next year. I know he's up at Ulster but Madigan covers 10,12 and 15.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Twist wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:32 pm Shoulder and hamstring for Frawley? Dunno what to say about that except that he's having absolutely no luck recently
He's having lots of luck.

All bad.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 10th, 2021, 4:11 pm
ronk wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:29 pm Would we sign a joker? Cathal Marsh back from the US?
Interesting thought for next year. I know he's up at Ulster but Madigan covers 10,12 and 15.....
Is he out of favour up there - last game was 15 minutes off bench against Quins on April 4th. Haven't seen any mention of an injury!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Xanthippe wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:37 pm
Is he out of favour up there - last game was 15 minutes off bench against Quins on April 4th. Haven't seen any mention of an injury!
Was wondering that myself....
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Xanthippe wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:37 pm
So it would seem unless there's an injury i haven't heard about. Thought they did extend his contract. He's clearly a bit older now but given his ability to cover a few positions, his quality and his experience I'd take him back in a heartbeat.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

A 32 year old who left us after some success but some clear flaws in his game, struggled to cement a starting place in two mid table Top 14 French & Premiership sides and has had a very up and down season resulting in him now being third in line behind Burns & Lowry at 10.

If you examine that profile objectively, I've no idea why we'd want to sign a player like that. He'd be sitting behind Sexton, Ross, Harry, Frawley and competing with Hawkshaw for gametime.

Has he played 12 or 15 at all in the last few years either?
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

wixfjord wrote: May 11th, 2021, 4:13 pm A 32 year old who left us after some success but some clear flaws in his game, struggled to cement a starting place in two mid table Top 14 French & Premiership sides and has had a very up and down season resulting in him now being third in line behind Burns & Lowry at 10.

If you examine that profile objectively, I've no idea why we'd want to sign a player like that. He'd be sitting behind Sexton, Ross, Harry, Frawley and competing with Hawkshaw for gametime.

He suits a team where his pack have dominance. I always liked Mads, he has a wealth of experience, is a good defender, has an eye for a gap, plays flat on the line, still has decent pace and is an excellent kicker from hand and tee. What's not to like? If he came back with a realistic outlook on how he would be used (Pro 14 and bench) I'd be delighted. You never know he might have an Indian summer to his career.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Hoofhearted wrote: May 11th, 2021, 4:38 pm
wixfjord wrote: May 11th, 2021, 4:13 pm A 32 year old who left us after some success but some clear flaws in his game, struggled to cement a starting place in two mid table Top 14 French & Premiership sides and has had a very up and down season resulting in him now being third in line behind Burns & Lowry at 10.

He suits a team where his pack have dominance. I always liked Mads, he has a wealth of experience, is a good defender, has an eye for a gap, plays flat on the line, still has decent pace and is an excellent kicker from hand and tee. What's not to like? If he came back with a realistic outlook on how he would be used (Pro 14 and bench) I'd be delighted. You never know he might have an Indian summer to his career.
No thanks. That time is better invested elsewhere.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I mean if he was free I'd definitely take him!

I just don't see why we need him and where he would fit in. He's be taking a fairly solid salary in a position we're stacked in, with plenty of guys scrapping for game time. He also has the same flaws in his game that he had when he left, and at 32 that ain't going to change.

It's all a bit of a moot point anyway.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

wixfjord wrote: May 11th, 2021, 4:59 pm

I mean if he was free I'd definitely take him!

I just don't see why we need him and where he would fit in. He's be taking a fairly solid salary in a position we're stacked in, with plenty of guys scrapping for game time. He also has the same flaws in his game that he had when he left, and at 32 that ain't going to change.

It's all a bit of a moot point anyway.
In fairness to himself tho ... managed to earn serious ‘wedge’ in those years... far more than he could have here
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

It's a strange one that he hasn't been in the matchday squads lately with Lowry ahead of him last week and no bench spot either. Also when he talked about ulster and their aspirations for next year, he often referred to them as 'they' instead of 'we'. That doesn't sound like a guy who is expecting to be part of their plans.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

carlow man wrote: May 12th, 2021, 6:27 pm It's a strange one that he hasn't been in the matchday squads lately with Lowry ahead of him last week and no bench spot either. Also when he talked about ulster and their aspirations for next year, he often referred to them as 'they' instead of 'we'. That doesn't sound like a guy who is expecting to be part of their plans.
That’s outrageous if he actually said “they” instead of “we”. Where did he say that?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Madigan looked fine from the outside but fell down the pecking order (sometimes falling hard, and usually with controversy) at Leinster, Bordeaux, Bristol and now Ulster.

I wish him success, but I wouldn't want us to take a chance on him.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: May 12th, 2021, 11:20 pm Madigan looked fine from the outside but fell down the pecking order (sometimes falling hard, and usually with controversy) at Leinster, Bordeaux, Bristol and now Ulster.

What controversies
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 12th, 2021, 11:45 pm
ronk wrote: May 12th, 2021, 11:20 pm Madigan looked fine from the outside but fell down the pecking order (sometimes falling hard, and usually with controversy) at Leinster, Bordeaux, Bristol and now Ulster.

What controversies
https://www.balls.ie/rugby/ian-madigan-3-359625
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Lock9541 wrote: May 12th, 2021, 7:41 pm
carlow man wrote: May 12th, 2021, 6:27 pm It's a strange one that he hasn't been in the matchday squads lately with Lowry ahead of him last week and no bench spot either. Also when he talked about ulster and their aspirations for next year, he often referred to them as 'they' instead of 'we'. That doesn't sound like a guy who is expecting to be part of their plans.
That’s outrageous if he actually said “they” instead of “we”. Where did he say that?
Ferg was discussing Ulster with mads on their house of rugby Ireland show and Madigan was definitely giving the impression of a guy who knows hes prob not going to be involved that much anytime soon.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

He played a lot of games for those teams and as you probably know the guys who were rivals for his spot were pretty decent to say the least. He also has 31 caps for Ireland. The view that he's not good enough to be a squad player I wouldn't agree with. Realistically if we are going to sign a utility back it's going to be someone with his profile. He's currently a better player than at least 3 of that list in my view (and at least 3 of them are injured a lot....) and he covers a number of positions. We are talking squad player here, we are currently lining up Garry Ringrose as a reserve outhalf.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I think the point being made is that for his caps to dry up suddenly mid season in more than one club suggests there must be an off field issue at play.
I don't know what that might be. But I did expect him to be challenging burns for the number one spot. Not challenging somebody for the water bottle spot.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Still think the signing of Gopperth was MOC's biggest mistake. As a club we turned our back on Mads, a home grown lad with huge potential, but with workons, in favour of a middle of the road kiwi 10 who while good enough to win the Pro 12 was never going to win Europe. Sent out all the wrong messages. MOC wanted to put his own stamp on things and draw a line between the JS era but essentially he shot himself in the foot from day 1. MOC tried to buy success on the cheap – bearing in mind we had just lost the best 10 in Europe for financial reasons - rather than develop it.

Some revisionism at play here. Peak Madigan e.g. 2015 RWC France game, a different level to Gopperth IMO. As Dougal would say - its a different film Ted, it’s a different shark! Had Madigan been managed better & possibly advised better he would have been a much bigger influence for Leinster and Ireland over the years, especially given what happened to Jackson. His career could have had a very different trajectory under a different & better Leinster management - like the one we have presently. He was – and for some of us still is - a fan favourite and he would still be a great addition to the Leinster squad, as pointed out above he is lightly enough raced over the years so an Indian summer a definite possibility. His range of passing and ability to spot a pass is still top drawer.

Madigan’s biggest crime/Achilles heel is his honesty in public utterances. Professional sports teams & people need that level of brutal honesty – maybe not quite so much of it in public. Thankfully there are few enough players you can point to who left Leinster approaching their peak, those that did it and came back like Leo and Jennings had a fair bit to offer and improved the environment and the culture. Mads would still have loads to offer Leinster as a squad player.