Enforcer Second-Row Options

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Enforcer Second-Row Options

Post by neiliog93 »

In a fantasy land where we can sign a unit of a second-row, I've outlined some options below that might fit the bill:

World Class
Lood de Jager (206cm/6'9", 122kg). Sale's financial problems and salary cap issues might make this a possibility?
Pieter-Steph du Toit (200cm/6'7", 118kg). Almost went to Munster, the money was there, so surely not impossible.
Patrick Tuipulotu (200cm/6'7", 120kg). Needs no introduction, a total freak. I wonder could Isa use his Blues connections on this one...

Sub-World Class
Kane Leaupepe (200cm/6'7", 120kg). Age 28, had a good world cup with Samoa, playing for the Hurricanes. Very athletic for his size.
Konstantin Mikautadze (201cm/6'7", 128kg). Age 29. Currently with Top 14 strugglers Bayonne. A Georgian bruiser.
Ruan Botha (205cm/6'9", 124kg). Age 29. Currently playing Top League in Japan. Bit of the Devin Toner vibe about him, not sure if he's a true enforcer type. Two South Africa A caps.
Walt Steenkamp (203cm/6'8", 121kg). Age 25. Played with the Cheehtahs in Pro 14, looked decent.
JD Schnickerling (203cm/6'8", 119kg). Age 23. Well established at the Stormers, two South Africa A caps aged 19. Might be a bit of a Jean Kleyn.
JJ van der Mescht (200cm/6'7", 127kg). Age 21. This guy is a freak athlete, absurdly fast for his age. Will probably become world class. Currently with the Sharks.

Journeymen
Maselino Paulino (205cm/6'9", 120kg). Age 32. Currently playing Pro D2 with Stade Montois.
Cameron Skelton (208cm/6'10", 153kg). Age 26. Currently out of pro rugby. Probably a non-starter but if he could be half as good as his brother, he's worth a punt.
Jeremy Jordaan (198cm/6'6", 127kg). Age 30. About to be relegated from Top 14 with Agen. Bit of a Damian Browne.
David Meihuizen (208cm/6'10", 127kg). Age 23. Coming through with the Stormers and limited experience. Again, more in the very tall Toner mould than an enforcer.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
carlow man
Enlightened

Re: Enforcer Second-Row Options

Post by carlow man »

I know it's a long shot but george kruis is out of contract in Japan this year and as of now, doesn't have a contract for next year. He's still only 31 and fits the criteria of what I think we need. Could we get him on a 1 or 2 year contract? Could Lancaster bring him to leinster? I know he wouldn't come cheap but I think he would be a huge addition.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Kruis is a good call. De Jager is who I had in mind immediately

What about Jack Dunne? Where’s his ceiling in this role going to be?
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

I kept getting the feeling in team mates interviews that Kruis is a bit of a dick but I could be wrong
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:04 pm I kept getting the feeling in team mates interviews that Kruis is a bit of a dick but I could be wrong
Fair one. Although elsom wasn't exactly mr
Popular with his teammates when he was here. The guy was a loner who barely did any training or sometimes didnt even turn up for training. As long as kruis does his job on matchday then I couldnt care less.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Brodie Retallick. I mean this is pure fantasy stuff so why not go for the best. We wont be signing any of them either way.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

How is it pure fantasy? If we want to be serious about winning the cup next year then we need to throw some money at it. Otherwise we will be having the same conversation I believe. Kruis for one year isn't fantasy. A current all black starting second row probably is.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

If Munster found a backer to supplement synam and de allende, then why cant we find someone to pay for a top quality second row?
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Quinn roux?
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

blaker wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:20 pmQuinn roux?
Was a huge mistake to (effectively) swap him for Mick Kearney.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

carlow man wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 6:26 pmHow is it pure fantasy?
It was the premise of the post wasn't it?
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

I understand the premise of the topic. I do actually think its possible for us to sign a top class lock and its something that is very much required if we want to return to the top of the tree. Getting someone in of the quality of kruis is very achievable. Unfortunately we seem to want to win these titles on the cheap. 1 cup in 5 years suggests that we probably need to find a wealthy benefactor to give us a hand. Ulster have one. Munster have one. And we have a better chance at success than either of those teams.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

carlow man wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:43 pm I understand the premise of the topic. I do actually think its possible for us to sign a top class lock and its something that is very much required if we want to return to the top of the tree. Getting someone in of the quality of kruis is very achievable. Unfortunately we seem to want to win these titles on the cheap. 1 European in 5 years suggests that we probably need to find a wealthy benefactor to give us a hand. Ulster have one. Munster have one. And we have a better chance at success than either of those teams.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

carlow man wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:43 pm I understand the premise of the topic. I do actually think its possible for us to sign a top class lock and its something that is very much required if we want to return to the top of the tree. Getting someone in of the quality of kruis is very achievable. Unfortunately we seem to want to win these titles on the cheap. 1 cup in 5 years suggests that we probably need to find a wealthy benefactor to give us a hand. Ulster have one. Munster have one. And we have a better chance at success than either of those teams.
It's nothing to do with money man. If Leinster got the green light from the IRFU to sign Brody Retallick, and the player wanted to move, we would be able to find the money. O'Brien or whoever would probably lap it up. The reason it's fantasy is because the IRFU won't allow it. Maybe sometime in the future if the Ahern's of the world fulfil their promise, but for the time being, they want to force us to develop Baird and Dunne et al. It's just a non runner for us to get the green light unfortunately.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:59 pm
carlow man wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 10:43 pm I understand the premise of the topic. I do actually think its possible for us to sign a top class lock and its something that is very much required if we want to return to the top of the tree. Getting someone in of the quality of kruis is very achievable. Unfortunately we seem to want to win these titles on the cheap. 1 cup in 5 years suggests that we probably need to find a wealthy benefactor to give us a hand. Ulster have one. Munster have one. And we have a better chance at success than either of those teams.
It's nothing to do with money man. If Leinster got the green light from the IRFU to sign Brody Retallick, and the player wanted to move, we would be able to find the money. O'Brien or whoever would probably lap it up. The reason it's fantasy is because the IRFU won't allow it. Maybe sometime in the future if the Ahern's of the world fulfil their promise, but for the time being, they want to force us to develop Baird and Dunne et al. It's just a non runner for us to get the green light unfortunately.
Not necessarily true though. Few would have predicted that Munster would be allowed sign Snyman and Jenkins under the IRFU rules (all while Carter and Nakarawa are at Ulster, and for the time being Fardy at Leinster). We have had the fewest NIQ players of all the provinces for a long time. The rules are malleable to some degree. We shouldn't be totally defeatist on this.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

CiaranIrl wrote:
The club that actually has Ahern were allowed to sign Jenkins, and they already had Snyman. I think given that we’re losing Fardy it’s not unrealistic to think we could make one second row signing.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 11:29 pm
CiaranIrl wrote:
The club that actually has Ahern were allowed to sign Jenkins, and they already had Snyman. I think given that we’re losing Fardy it’s not unrealistic to think we could make one second row signing.
Rules don't apply to Munster, that should be apparent by now.
Anyone But New Zealand
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

neiliog93 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 11:07 pmNot necessarily true though. Few would have predicted that Munster would be allowed sign Snyman and Jenkins under the IRFU rules (all while Carter and Nakarawa are at Ulster, and for the time being Fardy at Leinster). We have had the fewest NIQ players of all the provinces for a long time. The rules are malleable to some degree. We shouldn't be totally defeatist on this.
So if Ulster have Carter and Nakarawa and Munster have Snyman and Jenkins it's up to Leinster and Connacht to play IQ locks?
Even less likelihood a signing would be allowed I'd say.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

It does come down to money. If it didn't then why did munster get snyman and dda? They knew they needed world class players to improve. They couldn't do that with Irish players so they bought 2 world cup winners. We are arguing about bringing in 1 world class overseas player. Its double standards unfortunately. The IRFU and nucifora in particular seem desperate to get munster back to the summit of European rugby. At our expense. Its beyond embarrassing.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

carlow man wrote: May 4th, 2021, 7:06 am
It does come down to money. If it didn't then why did munster get snyman and dda? They knew they needed world class players to improve. They couldn't do that with Irish players so they bought 2 world cup winners. We are arguing about bringing in 1 world class overseas player. Its double standards unfortunately. The IRFU and nucifora in particular seem desperate to get munster back to the summit of European rugby. At our expense. Its beyond embarrassing.
The way Munster appear to have sold it is that Snyman is a second row and the other fella will play back row. Believe that or don't, but that's the sell. They're not not going to allow a second first choice 15 in the same position to be NIQ. They might allow a squad player type if we're lucky.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”