Enforcer Second-Row Options

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Enforcer Second-Row Options

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: August 13th, 2021, 9:20 am I wouldnt be getting my hopes up though, his brother lives in dublin. :lol:
that is quality stalking MI
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

John23 wrote: August 12th, 2021, 10:15 pm That the best rumour I read since Robbie Deans was spotted in Ranelagh a few years ago.
Curse people’s long memories!

This is my biannual message to say that it was me and that I’m still sure of it and lost money on it. It wasn’t just that I thought it was Deans, it was that he was walking with Fintan Drury, think it may have been Appian Way or certainly somewhere near that.

I really am convinced it was them, too much of a coincidence for it to be two great lookalikes at a time when we (or maybe Ireland?) were looking for a new head coach.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It was Leinster alright
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Where's ror when you need him, he'd have all the details :)
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

It's still the silly season yes?
Would signing Kleyn from Munster be an option worth considering.
Perhaps our coaches could get him to that next level.
With Quin Roux gone, even some exposure to POC in the Irish set up might add something to his game.
Heresy - Should Ireland consider calling Roux into the squad - Is he good enough to justify it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote: August 21st, 2021, 12:36 pm It's still the silly season yes?
With Quin Roux gone, even some exposure to POC in the Irish set up might add something to his game.
Heresy - Should Ireland consider calling Roux into the squad - Is he good enough to justify it.
Don't know what's sillier. That idea, or the idea that Kleyn is an enforcer second row.
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Still pick Toner ahead of Kleyn and day of the week and trice on game day.

Kleyn is big, powerful and makes some big hits. It's telling that Munster have made 3 really big signings at lock since he joined them though.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

He has hands like feet by the standards of the modern game though.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote: August 21st, 2021, 1:29 pm
Oldschool wrote: August 21st, 2021, 12:36 pm It's still the silly season yes?
Don't know what's sillier. That idea, or the idea that Kleyn is an enforcer second row.
You're taking the enforcer bit too literally.
It's his potential? as a heavy weight SR who can lock down a scrum etc ie a limited but necessary job description.
We have seven other forwards and the rest who have the other subtler skills so we don't need to set the bar too high on his high end skills set.
What we want and what we would be allowed to sign are two separate things.
It's the what we would be allowed sign is what my post was aimed at.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: August 21st, 2021, 2:55 pm Still pick Toner ahead of Kleyn and day of the week and trice on game day.

Kleyn is big, powerful and makes some big hits. It's telling that Munster have made 3 really big signings at lock since he joined them though.
Which is exactly why we might have a chance of signing him because we're not going to be allowed to sign someone of the calibre of Kruis or back in the day Hines.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The IRFU would sooner let us sign a Kruis than move Kleyn.

We don't want him, certainly not to reach for him. The IRFU don't want to open that nest of vipers, Munster would want huge compensation from the IRFU to consider it (more than Kruis).

It would probably not be especially well received within the Leinster squad either.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: August 21st, 2021, 5:45 pm The IRFU would sooner let us sign a Kruis than move Kleyn.

We don't want him, certainly not to reach for him. The IRFU don't want to open that nest of vipers, Munster would want huge compensation from the IRFU to consider it (more than Kruis).

It would probably not be especially well received within the Leinster squad either.
In summary, you're probably right.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

ronk wrote: August 21st, 2021, 5:45 pm The IRFU would sooner let us sign a Kruis than move Kleyn.

Surely the idea that Munster be compensated for us taking a player off their hands midcontract would be laughed out the door, right? Or would they get what we don't because they're Munster and if they didn't have double standards they'd have none at all?
Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FLIP wrote: August 21st, 2021, 10:23 pm

Surely the idea that Munster be compensated for us taking a player off their hands midcontract would be laughed out the door, right? Or would they get what we don't because they're Munster and if they didn't have double standards they'd have none at all?
Not direct compensation. More along the lines of we lost a squad player but sure we didn’t need him anymore now that we somehow signed de Jager. But actually weakening their squad, there’d be murder, especially among people who send a lot around 6N time. We’re different, we put targets on people’s backs for poaching and nod sagely when we’re told it’s for the good of Irish rugby. If it was for the good of rugby why have they all regressed.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Jack Dunne listed at 120kg & Joe McCarthy listed at 119kg on the LR website.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

and Charlie Ryan art 6'8 and 115kg. if those figures are true its some achievement by the players, nutrionists and S&C to get them to that weight. Even Molony looked significantly heftier the other day.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jack Dunne looking large today at training

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 28th, 2021, 7:28 pm Jack Dunne looking large today at training

Really want to see Dunne and Baird progress this season. I think they struggle to find a way into the game if they haven't pulled up a tree or two in their first 15 on the pitch. For Dunne this manifests itself in silly penos given away and with Baird he seems to just coast if he can't excerpt himself on the game.
Based on nothing other than memory and inclination.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Dunne has played so little(2 starts in his leinster career) that it's hard to know what to expect or what he will struggle with.
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

I like the look of Dunne, he certainly seems to have the athletic ability and size. I get the feeling there's something missing from his game at the moment.