Connacht v Leinster Rainbow Cup Sat 8/5 19.35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Lock9541
Graduate

Re: Connacht v Leinster Rainbow Cup Sat 8/5 19.35

Post by Lock9541 »

the spoofer wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:43 pm I'm an odd fish in that I couldn't give a flying f%~k about the lions. This is a recent enough conversion as I used skip work to watch mid week games into the 2000's. I'm not certain when it happened, probably the 2001 Oz tour and I also don't have any specific reason for the change. Part of it is that so many Irish players have come back utterly wrecked after it and for what? Therefore, there will be no disappointment on my behalf if Leinster and Irish players miss out and I certainly do not want to see Leinster lads "rested" for the lions.
I care a lot about the Lions. It’s the pinnacle of every players career. Can’t wait for the announcement tomorrow.
I don’t understand how you just don’t care about. You’re surely gonna watch all the games do you not find it interesting? I’d like to see our players do well on tour.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Lock9541 wrote: May 5th, 2021, 10:48 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 5th, 2021, 6:43 pm I'm an odd fish in that I couldn't give a flying f%~k about the lions. This is a recent enough conversion as I used skip work to watch mid week games into the 2000's. I'm not certain when it happened, probably the 2001 Oz tour and I also don't have any specific reason for the change. Part of it is that so many Irish players have come back utterly wrecked after it and for what? Therefore, there will be no disappointment on my behalf if Leinster and Irish players miss out and I certainly do not want to see Leinster lads "rested" for the lions.
I care a lot about the Lions. It’s the pinnacle of every players career. Can’t wait for the announcement tomorrow.
I don’t understand how you just don’t care about. You’re surely gonna watch all the games do you not find it interesting? I’d like to see our players do well on tour.
I regard playing for Ireland as the pinnacle, not some “makey uppy” team. I’ll watch it cause I watch all rugby but all I’ll be hoping for is that our lads come back safely.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer:

"I regard playing for Ireland as the pinnacle, not some 'makey uppy' team. I’ll watch it cause I watch all rugby but all I’ll be hoping for is that our lads come back safely."

+1
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I like the Lions, but very much with a focus on Irish involvement.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

the spoofer wrote: May 5th, 2021, 11:32 pm
I regard playing for Ireland as the pinnacle, not some “makey uppy” team. I’ll watch it cause I watch all rugby but all I’ll be hoping for is that our lads come back safely.
“Makey uppy team” 😂😂😂 it’s literally the biggest honour of a players career all the professionals even say it.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Lock9541 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:22 am
“Makey uppy team” 😂😂😂 it’s literally the biggest honour of a players career all the professionals even say it.
Sry mate, can’t agree.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well, this thread has been well and truly hijacked.

I hope that our selection and performance against Connacht is focused solely on winning the game and illustrating that our Squad is superior to others within the Pro14 and that our players can produce their best in any competition.

As I don't understand the parameters of our isolation since our visit to France, no team prediction but I would delighted to welcome back any returning injured.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 6th, 2021, 7:57 am Well, this thread has been well and truly hijacked.

I hope that our selection and performance against Connacht is focused solely on winning the game and illustrating that our Squad is superior to others within the Pro14 and that our players can produce their best in any competition.

As I don't understand the parameters of our isolation since our visit to France, no team prediction but I would delighted to welcome back any returning injured.
Apologies, it was the suggestion that we rest players for the lions that triggered me!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Exactly. Every elite player in Britain and Ireland will regard this as a career pinacle. People might not care individually but the players and coaches see it differently. Regarding it as a "makey uppy" team is ridiculous.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Exactly. Every elite player in Britain and Ireland will regard this as a career pinacle. People might not care individually but the players and coaches see it differently. Regarding it as a "makey uppy" team is ridiculous.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

I support Ireland and watch Ireland because I am from Ireland. Someone might ask me where I'm from and I'll say "Ireland".

I support Leinster and watch their matches because I am from Leinster. Someone might ask me where I'm from and I'll say "Dublin", which is part of Leinster.

I have never in my life said that I am from "Britain and Ireland" or that I am "British and Irish". It is a complete fabrication of a geographic entity in order to conceive a rugby team that can make money for Sky Sports. They are the kings of hype. And if you are a fan of the Lions you have bought into that hype.

Another interpretation is that the British Lions represented the 4 home unions of the United Kingdom before Ireland gained independendence in 1920/21. It has remained an entity representing what was the United Kingdom. On that basis, being a fan of the Lions is like being a fan of TeamGB at the Olympics.

Nobody here needed a history or geography lesson, but some might need a mirror.

Apologies for posting in the wrong thread.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

joooooe wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm I support Ireland and watch Ireland because I am from Ireland. Someone might ask me where I'm from and I'll say "Ireland".

I support Leinster and watch their matches because I am from Leinster. Someone might ask me where I'm from and I'll say "Dublin", which is part of Leinster.

I have never in my life said that I am from "Britain and Ireland" or that I am "British and Irish". It is a complete fabrication of a geographic entity in order to conceive a rugby team that can make money for Sky Sports. They are the kings of hype. And if you are a fan of the Lions you have bought into that hype.

Another interpretation is that the British Lions represented the 4 home unions of the United Kingdom before Ireland gained independendence in 1920/21. It has remained an entity representing what was the United Kingdom. On that basis, being a fan of the Lions is like being a fan of TeamGB at the Olympics.

and between 1921 and 1991 there were no Lions tours of course.
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Flash Gordon:

"Exactly. Every elite player in Britain and Ireland will regard this as a career pinacle. People might not care individually but the players and coaches see it differently. Regarding it as a "makey uppy" team is ridiculous."

That may well be so. Personally, I follow the Lions tours in the same way as I do Super Rugby. I watch all the matches cos they're virtually the only rugby on TV in the summer and the standard of play is high. But do I care if the BIL beat RSA or NZ OZ or vice versa? Not really. In contrast I care bigly about Ireland and Leinster (the other three provinces a bit too) winning. My main interest in the BIL is Irish players not getting crocked and having their careers enhanced, so that it helps Irish rugby. SO'B coming back seriously injured and never really getting back to his best after the shoulder charge in the back by Kaino in the Third Test in 2017 was a big downer, IMO.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

riocard911 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:21 pm Flash Gordon:

"Exactly. Every elite player in Britain and Ireland will regard this as a career pinacle. People might not care individually but the players and coaches see it differently. Regarding it as a "makey uppy" team is ridiculous."

That may well be so. Personally, I follow the Lions tours in the same way as I do Super Rugby. I watch all the matches cos they're virtually the only rugby on TV in the summer and the standard of play is high. But do I care if the BIL beat RSA or NZ OZ or vice versa? Not really. In contrast I care bigly about Ireland and Leinster (the other three provinces a bit too) winning. My main interest in the BIL is Irish players not getting crocked and having their careers enhanced, so that it helps Irish rugby. SO'B coming back seriously injured and never really getting back to his best after the shoulder charge in the back by Kaino in the Third Test in 2017 was a big downer, IMO.
I could be wrong but didn't Henshaw and Sexton come back injured from the last tour? Healy was hurt playing for the lions as was McGrath. It's not worth it for me. There are teams I support where my heart is coming through my chest when they play. My own rugby club, county in football, Leinster and Ireland. Does that happen to anyone other than Sky Sports commentators when the lions are playing?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

We can only pray that TF and AP make it back in one piece from the lions.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If I was Robin McBryde I wouldn't be getting too hands on in training this week...
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

joooooe wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm I support Ireland and watch Ireland because I am from Ireland. Someone might ask me where I'm from and I'll say "Ireland".

You can support who you want but the rest of your post is ridiculous. Countries, provinces and teams are human constructs. The Lions have been around for over 100 years and players, coaches and many fans regard them as the pinnacle of rugby achievement. The Lions has a culture and an ethos built over history. I've heard Ronnie Dawson talk about it and the thing he's talking about it, it's very impactful. By the way, I'm old enough to have gone to Leinster games when 100 people were there in Lansdowne Road and to be perfectly honest players only saw Leinster as a way to get onto the Ireland team. The Club games would attract 1000's, even schools games would do similar. The relaunch of the provinces when professionalism came into being was really the creation of a new club. There was no Leinster culture, ethos, way of playing and most people didn't really care.

By the way, citing geography doesn't help your case. The geographical term for Britain and Ireland is the British Isles.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

You can support who you want but the rest of your post is ridiculous. Countries, provinces and teams are human constructs. The Lions have been around for over 100 years and players, coaches and many fans regard them as the pinnacle of rugby achievement. The Lions has a culture and an ethos built over history. I've heard Ronnie Dawson talk about it and the thing he's talking about it, it's very impactful. By the way, I'm old enough to have gone to Leinster games when 100 people were there in Lansdowne Road and to be perfectly honest players only saw Leinster as a way to get onto the Ireland team. The Club games would attract 1000's, even schools games would do similar. The relaunch of the provinces when professionalism came into being was really the creation of a new club. There was no Leinster culture, ethos, way of playing and most people didn't really care.

By the way, citing geography doesn't help your case. The geographical term for Britain and Ireland is the British Isles.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 6th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Not since 2005 Flash, the term British Isles is not recognised as the name of these islands by the Irish Government or any of its departments. So there’s that