Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
berliner
Learner
Posts: 79
Joined: December 11th, 2020, 11:01 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by berliner »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:51 pm I think we should acknowledge Nick McCarthy coming out because it's obviously a big deal for him and I'm sure he'll be acutely aware of the reaction to it so it'd be good to show him some support. Huge respect to him for doing it and it's great to hear that he feels happier in himself now :happy clapper:
Hear, hear, fair play Nick. It must a great relief to get it out in the open. And to have the anxiety at how people might respond replaced by happiness at how supportive most people are.

I left school in the 90s and to this day only one guy from my year came out as bisexual (boys only school). Unfortunately a lot of people still feel that they have to keep it secret. It's easy to forget this if you're straight, given that neandrathal sentiments around homosexuality have been banished from mainstream media.
OTT
Mullet
Posts: 1883
Joined: February 2nd, 2012, 4:19 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by OTT »

Well done Nick :clap:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3496
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 10:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:51 pm I think we should acknowledge Nick McCarthy coming out because it's obviously a big deal for him and I'm sure he'll be acutely aware of the reaction to it so it'd be good to show him some support. Huge respect to him for doing it and it's great to hear that he feels happier in himself now :happy clapper:
Good man Nick, really proud of the support he’s been shown and his own courage in coming out
User avatar
blockhead
Shane Jennings
Posts: 7153
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Location: Up Your Stairs!

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:44 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:51 pm I think we should acknowledge Nick McCarthy coming out because it's obviously a big deal for him and I'm sure he'll be acutely aware of the reaction to it so it'd be good to show him some support. Huge respect to him for doing it and it's great to hear that he feels happier in himself now :happy clapper:
Good man Nick, really proud of the support he’s been shown and his own courage in coming out
Good man Nick. Delighted but not at all suprised to hear that the response was so positive. Having heard the testimony's of Nigel Owen, Gareth Thomas and our own Dunne.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10083
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by fourthirtythree »

berliner wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:28 pm Unfortunately a lot of people still feel that they have to keep it secret. It's easy to forget this if you're straight, given that neandrathal sentiments around homosexuality have been banished from mainstream media.
A genuine reminder that we know very little about Neandertals and have absolutely no evidence that they were homophobic. We do have evidence of their caring for the elderly and the disabled and grieving dead people, but it's entirely possible homophobia is a very recent phenomenon in humans. Anyone who says some emergent, historically determined, behaviour is "natural", has never cracked open an anthropology book (Hi Jordaddy!).

Hope you have a good season Nick and your career takes off even further.
berliner
Learner
Posts: 79
Joined: December 11th, 2020, 11:01 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by berliner »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 20th, 2022, 4:20 pm
berliner wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:28 pm Unfortunately a lot of people still feel that they have to keep it secret. It's easy to forget this if you're straight, given that neandrathal sentiments around homosexuality have been banished from mainstream media.
A genuine reminder that we know very little about Neandertals and have absolutely no evidence that they were homophobic. We do have evidence of their caring for the elderly and the disabled and grieving dead people, but it's entirely possible homophobia is a very recent phenomenon in humans. Anyone who says some emergent, historically determined, behaviour is "natural", has never cracked open an anthropology book (Hi Jordaddy!).

Hope you have a good season Nick and your career takes off even further.
Happy to be corrected on the Neanderthals (!), although this was not the conversation I thought I was contributing to :)
User avatar
hugonaut
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6128
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by hugonaut »

Fair play to Nick, and glad to hear that the response from his team-mates and all at Leinster has been positive.
User avatar
RoboProp
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3736
Joined: December 29th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Location: Mandalore

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by RoboProp »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 20th, 2022, 4:20 pm
berliner wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:28 pm Unfortunately a lot of people still feel that they have to keep it secret. It's easy to forget this if you're straight, given that neandrathal sentiments around homosexuality have been banished from mainstream media.
A genuine reminder that we know very little about Neandertals and have absolutely no evidence that they were homophobic. We do have evidence of their caring for the elderly and the disabled and grieving dead people, but it's entirely possible homophobia is a very recent phenomenon in humans. Anyone who says some emergent, historically determined, behaviour is "natural", has never cracked open an anthropology book (Hi Jordaddy!).

Hope you have a good season Nick and your career takes off even further.
There is evidence that neanderthals took care of their sick, elderly and injured...something as society we be striving towards
This is the way
Ruckedtobits
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6085
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done Nick for having the courage to trust the Leinster brotherhood. Well done to that band of brothers for supporting him so strongly.

That emotional weight must be an awesome burden in a society which is only beginning to accept that there are a range of different sexualities and to be different from a stereotype does not make one abnormal.

Good luck.
User avatar
Serb
Enlightened
Posts: 799
Joined: March 27th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Serb »

Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC/status ... 5595642880
User avatar
Barry
Knowledgeable
Posts: 487
Joined: February 20th, 2009, 4:16 pm
Location: Dunsany

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Barry »

Serb wrote:Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC/status ... 5595642880
Don't forget to pack the factor 50 lads

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

riocard911
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3647
Joined: July 27th, 2015, 10:42 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by riocard911 »

Which socks will Adam wear - blue, green or one of each?
Last edited by riocard911 on June 21st, 2022, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
Posts: 12909
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by ronk »

Serb wrote: June 21st, 2022, 12:28 pm Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC/status ... 5595642880
That's great. I wonder if it'll be on TV. Interesting to see 3 players in the squad and all at different stages of their careers.

Ed Byrne may be keeping warm as standby for the Ireland tour. Adam Byrne moving clubs. Toner getting a last run out to end his career.
User avatar
paddyor
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4702
Joined: November 16th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by paddyor »

Serb wrote: June 21st, 2022, 12:28 pm Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC/status ... 5595642880
Who knows, could end up playing for Spain.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
Posts: 12909
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote: June 21st, 2022, 2:12 pm
Serb wrote: June 21st, 2022, 12:28 pm Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC/status ... 5595642880
Who knows, could end up playing for Spain.
I can see the appeal of that.
User avatar
the spoofer
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3283
Joined: February 17th, 2006, 5:35 pm
Location: Leinster West

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: June 21st, 2022, 1:19 pm
Serb wrote: June 21st, 2022, 12:28 pm Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC/status ... 5595642880
That's great. I wonder if it'll be on TV. Interesting to see 3 players in the squad and all at different stages of their careers.

Ed Byrne may be keeping warm as standby for the Ireland tour. Adam Byrne moving clubs. Toner getting a last run out to end his career.
Nice little jolly at the end of the season and a few quid to boot.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3496
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 10:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 1:00 pm Which socks will Adam wear - blue, green or one of each?
Im gonna guess he’ll wear his old school socks, whatever colour they happen to be
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
Posts: 12909
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 21st, 2022, 7:03 pm
riocard911 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 1:00 pm Which socks will Adam wear - blue, green or one of each?
Im gonna guess he’ll wear his old school socks, whatever colour they happen to be
You would
User avatar
munster#1
Shane Jennings
Posts: 5212
Joined: June 18th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by munster#1 »

Firstly I would just like to say a massive congratulations to Nick for making what is a brave step.

He and Jack have paved the way for many more to feel that this is a perfectly acceptable and normal thing.
Not only in Rugby, but in every walk of life.

I would also like to congratulate Leinster for creating an environment where they feel that it is acceptable for them to speak out publicly about being gay, and for providing the support they need.

Given the number of players in Ireland or anywhere for that matter, it is impossible that there aren’t many more gay players who have yet to feel that it is acceptable to let it be known, either to their team mates or the public.

Hopefully in the near future it becomes much more normalised, even to the extent that it doesn’t become news.
“Everything is Legal until you are caught” does not mean that you are not breaking the laws, it simply means that players will play the ref, and will break the laws of the game if they believe they won’t, or until they do, get caught.
User avatar
jezzer
Shane Jennings
Posts: 7279
Joined: February 1st, 2006, 11:41 am

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by jezzer »

I find it wild that it's in any way newsworthy.
Post Reply