Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

berliner
Bookworm

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by berliner »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:51 pm I think we should acknowledge Nick McCarthy coming out because it's obviously a big deal for him and I'm sure he'll be acutely aware of the reaction to it so it'd be good to show him some support. Huge respect to him for doing it and it's great to hear that he feels happier in himself now :happy clapper:
Hear, hear, fair play Nick. It must a great relief to get it out in the open. And to have the anxiety at how people might respond replaced by happiness at how supportive most people are.

I left school in the 90s and to this day only one guy from my year came out as bisexual (boys only school). Unfortunately a lot of people still feel that they have to keep it secret. It's easy to forget this if you're straight, given that neandrathal sentiments around homosexuality have been banished from mainstream media.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Well done Nick :clap:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 20th, 2022, 2:51 pm I think we should acknowledge Nick McCarthy coming out because it's obviously a big deal for him and I'm sure he'll be acutely aware of the reaction to it so it'd be good to show him some support. Huge respect to him for doing it and it's great to hear that he feels happier in himself now :happy clapper:
Good man Nick, really proud of the support he’s been shown and his own courage in coming out
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:44 pm
Good man Nick, really proud of the support he’s been shown and his own courage in coming out
Good man Nick. Delighted but not at all suprised to hear that the response was so positive. Having heard the testimony's of Nigel Owen, Gareth Thomas and our own Dunne.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

berliner wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:28 pm Unfortunately a lot of people still feel that they have to keep it secret. It's easy to forget this if you're straight, given that neandrathal sentiments around homosexuality have been banished from mainstream media.
A genuine reminder that we know very little about Neandertals and have absolutely no evidence that they were homophobic. We do have evidence of their caring for the elderly and the disabled and grieving dead people, but it's entirely possible homophobia is a very recent phenomenon in humans. Anyone who says some emergent, historically determined, behaviour is "natural", has never cracked open an anthropology book (Hi Jordaddy!).

Hope you have a good season Nick and your career takes off even further.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 20th, 2022, 4:20 pm
berliner wrote: June 20th, 2022, 3:28 pm Unfortunately a lot of people still feel that they have to keep it secret. It's easy to forget this if you're straight, given that neandrathal sentiments around homosexuality have been banished from mainstream media.
A genuine reminder that we know very little about Neandertals and have absolutely no evidence that they were homophobic. We do have evidence of their caring for the elderly and the disabled and grieving dead people, but it's entirely possible homophobia is a very recent phenomenon in humans. Anyone who says some emergent, historically determined, behaviour is "natural", has never cracked open an anthropology book (Hi Jordaddy!).

Happy to be corrected on the Neanderthals (!), although this was not the conversation I thought I was contributing to :)
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Fair play to Nick, and glad to hear that the response from his team-mates and all at Leinster has been positive.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 20th, 2022, 4:20 pm

There is evidence that neanderthals took care of their sick, elderly and injured...something as society we be striving towards
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done Nick for having the courage to trust the Leinster brotherhood. Well done to that band of brothers for supporting him so strongly.

That emotional weight must be an awesome burden in a society which is only beginning to accept that there are a range of different sexualities and to be different from a stereotype does not make one abnormal.

Good luck.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

https://twitter.com/Barbarian_FC/status ... 5595642880
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Serb wrote:Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

Don't forget to pack the factor 50 lads

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Which socks will Adam wear - blue, green or one of each?
Last edited by riocard911 on June 21st, 2022, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Serb wrote: June 21st, 2022, 12:28 pm Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

That's great. I wonder if it'll be on TV. Interesting to see 3 players in the squad and all at different stages of their careers.

Ed Byrne may be keeping warm as standby for the Ireland tour. Adam Byrne moving clubs. Toner getting a last run out to end his career.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Serb wrote: June 21st, 2022, 12:28 pm Ed Byrne, Devin Toner and Adam Byrne selected for the Barbarians to play Spain it would seem.

Who knows, could end up playing for Spain.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote: June 21st, 2022, 2:12 pm

Who knows, could end up playing for Spain.
I can see the appeal of that.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: June 21st, 2022, 1:19 pm

That's great. I wonder if it'll be on TV. Interesting to see 3 players in the squad and all at different stages of their careers.

Ed Byrne may be keeping warm as standby for the Ireland tour. Adam Byrne moving clubs. Toner getting a last run out to end his career.
Nice little jolly at the end of the season and a few quid to boot.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 1:00 pm Which socks will Adam wear - blue, green or one of each?
Im gonna guess he’ll wear his old school socks, whatever colour they happen to be
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 21st, 2022, 7:03 pm
riocard911 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 1:00 pm Which socks will Adam wear - blue, green or one of each?
Im gonna guess he’ll wear his old school socks, whatever colour they happen to be
You would
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Firstly I would just like to say a massive congratulations to Nick for making what is a brave step.

He and Jack have paved the way for many more to feel that this is a perfectly acceptable and normal thing.
Not only in Rugby, but in every walk of life.

I would also like to congratulate Leinster for creating an environment where they feel that it is acceptable for them to speak out publicly about being gay, and for providing the support they need.

Given the number of players in Ireland or anywhere for that matter, it is impossible that there aren’t many more gay players who have yet to feel that it is acceptable to let it be known, either to their team mates or the public.

Hopefully in the near future it becomes much more normalised, even to the extent that it doesn’t become news.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I find it wild that it's in any way newsworthy.