Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by mildlyinterested »

Interestingly Josh Murphy came on at lock for UCD, looks noticeably bigger too I thought.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ulster A v Leinster A at Banbridge RFC on Friday 3pm KO.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 7th, 2021, 5:59 pm Interestingly Josh Murphy came on at lock for UCD, looks noticeably bigger too I thought.
With Doris playing 6 more and Ruddock there too plus Deegan it seems transferring his skills to lock might suit Leinster more too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

not to mention Leavy..

I wonder if Doris will focus more and more on 6 going forward.

and what that will mean for backrow going forward.. surely at least one senior backrow will be leaving this summer.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by ronk

Dooley dropping to 4th choice with Boyle in the system will be a tough one. But there isn't that great a move either. Connacht is one way, Ulster have O'Sullivan and McGrath and wouldn't be a good prospect. Munster are the best on paper and Limerick is close to his family home, but I don't feel it. They have Kilcoyne and a few other players. A provincial move would be one of convenience rather than ambition, and some players do that. Dooley is solid but he's not destructive enough to really get their attention or a big package from them.

Given he's now probably dropped off the bottom of the (main) Irish depth chart it would make most sense for him to see what he can get overseas.

But if Healy sticks with tighthead more or there's an injury it might look better as Porter's international minutes bite.
I gotta disagree with you. If he gets regular minutes at Connacht I can see him re-enter the equation. Also Munster's stock at Loosehead is URC level at their highest with no one there to kick on to the next level, as for Ulster with McGrath always injured having Dooley come in to replace him wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

sunshiner1 wrote: November 10th, 2021, 12:40 pm
by ronk

Dooley dropping to 4th choice with Boyle in the system will be a tough one. But there isn't that great a move either. Connacht is one way, Ulster have O'Sullivan and McGrath and wouldn't be a good prospect. Munster are the best on paper and Limerick is close to his family home, but I don't feel it. They have Kilcoyne and a few other players. A provincial move would be one of convenience rather than ambition, and some players do that. Dooley is solid but he's not destructive enough to really get their attention or a big package from them.

Given he's now probably dropped off the bottom of the (main) Irish depth chart it would make most sense for him to see what he can get overseas.

But if Healy sticks with tighthead more or there's an injury it might look better as Porter's international minutes bite.
I gotta disagree with you. If he gets regular minutes at Connacht I can see him re-enter the equation. Also Munster's stock at Loosehead is URC level at their highest with no one there to kick on to the next level, as for Ulster with McGrath always injured having Dooley come in to replace him wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.
There's Kikcoyne and Wycherley could be very good imo but too early to tell.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sunshiner1 wrote: November 10th, 2021, 12:40 pm
by ronk

I can see why you might thing that about Connacht. I don't think that's supported by history. Buckley wasn't capped by Ireland, Bealham is in now because of being the right age when others became unavailable.

If Buckley's injury is worse than expected then Dooley might be well placed to get game-time but there are too many looseheads around to think that he'd pop back into the Irish framework.

Maybe a starting berth in Connacht is a worthy prize but it's still a big ask for the 4th choice Leinster loosehead. But we saw from Cronin that there's a market for relatively powerful looseheads and Dooley is a skillful player.

Munster had enough faith in Wycherly that they released Cronin. Dooley isn't a big enough name to make an impact with Munster. He'll be less known than Loughman for most fans and will need to work his way up from that level. Should he be able to do it, sure. But you need a chance first and among other things Wycherly is seen as a high upside future international.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm Ulster A v Leinster A at Banbridge RFC on Friday 3pm KO.
I'm guessing this will be a stronger A side than we've become accustomed to in recent seasons.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote: November 10th, 2021, 7:05 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 9th, 2021, 1:25 pm Ulster A v Leinster A at Banbridge RFC on Friday 3pm KO.
I'm guessing this will be a stronger A side than we've become accustomed to in recent seasons.
assume so yeah, should know tomorrow.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by dropkick

There's Kilcoyne and Wycherley could be very good imo but too early to tell.
Kilcoyne is looking at the end of his career in the next season or so. As for Wycherly I don't rate him as highly as most people. URC level at best. Loughman again is a level below Dooley.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

sunshiner1 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 11:38 am
by dropkick

Kilcoyne is looking at the end of his career in the next season or so. As for Wycherly I don't rate him as highly as most people. URC level at best. Loughman again is a level below Dooley.
Kilcoyne intends on playing into his mid to late 30s.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by mildlyinterested

Every player intends to play on into his mid to late 30s doesn't mean it happens though.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 11th, 2021, 11:39 am
sunshiner1 wrote: November 11th, 2021, 11:38 am
by dropkick

I think Wycherly will be good, but he still has a good bit of size and strength to add to his frame before he can work through a full season. He's listed at 183cm and 108kg, which is 6kg less than Ed Byrne, who is probably counted as an undersized LH in the contemporary game.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I guess the A team will be named tomorrow.. Ulster have named a largely youthful side.
Ulster ‘A’ team to play Leinster ’A’, Interprovincial game at Banbridge RFC, Friday 12 November, 3pm:

(15-9) James Humphreys, Rob Lyttle, Ben Moxham, Angus Curtis, Aaron Sexton, Ian Madigan, Lewis Finlay;

(1-8) Callum Reid, John Andrew (Capt.), Gareth Milasinovich, David O’Connor, Harry Sheridan, Greg Jones, Reuben Crothers, Marcus Rea.

Replacements: Tom Stewart (Capt.), Scott Wilson, Ross Kane, Adam McNamee, James McNabney, Conor McKee, Greg Hutley, Michael Orr.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Is there a stream for the game? Usually Ulster provide streams for their home matches.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Keith wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:10 am Is there a stream for the game? Usually Ulster provide streams for their home matches.
doesnt appear to be happening this time.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Keith wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:10 am Is there a stream for the game? Usually Ulster provide streams for their home matches.
Last time it was Ravenhill, this game is at Banbridge. Would guess twitter score updates at best. Is the Leinster side named yet?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neill_m wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:18 am
Last time it was Ravenhill, this game is at Banbridge. Would guess twitter score updates at best. Is the Leinster side named yet?
nope.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

You gotta say, Leinster secrecy around 'A' games is reaching KGB levels :lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: November 12th, 2021, 10:21 am You gotta say, Leinster secrecy around 'A' games is reaching KGB levels :lol:
its really bizarre.