Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by mildlyinterested »

dropkick wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:11 pm
ronk wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:59 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:42 pm

seems like he is joining the connacht academy.
Odd if he turned us down. We have a lot of tightheads but we have 2 Lion tightheads to learn from. Alaalatoa will be gone by the time he's exiting the academy. Panel is small enough with 2 internationals away.

He's a raw player who could do with professional strength and conditioning and training. Leinster is the best place for that and easy to move later if he ends up blocked.

But maybe we're tight for places or he just wanted college in Galway.

It's a no brainer IMO. He's more likely to progress quicker with Connacht to a Pro contract.
He didnt have an offer from Leinster.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Really? Why?

Connacht have a decent panel of props especially with young lads coming up. They also have Bealham who's at the high end.

Illo could have 2/3 years of lifting weights beside Furlong and Porter before he's even looking for game time.

Guys like Greg McGrath and Aungier are flying it in Connacht at the expense of their own academy players. Leinster's academy has gaps, but the tighthead program has been stellar.

Maybe the new calendar with less international clashes will make difference, but even with everyone fit and no rotation the 5th tighthead in Leinster makes sub-sub for senior games.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:20 pm
dropkick wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:11 pm
ronk wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:59 pm

Odd if he turned us down. We have a lot of tightheads but we have 2 Lion tightheads to learn from. Alaalatoa will be gone by the time he's exiting the academy. Panel is small enough with 2 internationals away.

He's a raw player who could do with professional strength and conditioning and training. Leinster is the best place for that and easy to move later if he ends up blocked.

But maybe we're tight for places or he just wanted college in Galway.

It's a no brainer IMO. He's more likely to progress quicker with Connacht to a Pro contract.
He didnt have an offer from Leinster.
I'm sure they spent a lot more time thinking about their intake than I did, to me it looks like he would have been worth reaching a little for.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

With academy intake its the squad makeup in three years time you have to take into account. So, what squad would Sam be coming into post-academy?

Currently, we have Furlong (28), Porter (25), Abdeladze (25), plus Clarkson (21). Two of them are current Irish internationals, none of them have reached what is considered the 'prime' age for a tighthead prop, but in three years time the only the eldest will have.

So for Leinster and indeed for Illo himself, is it a good move bringing him in? Leinster spend three years to feed him into a bottleneck, he spends three years only to end up in the very worst position an Irish rugby player can find himself in - behind the national teams first and second choice players.
I have Bumbleflex
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

ronk wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:35 pm Really? Why?

Connacht have a decent panel of props especially with young lads coming up. They also have Bealham who's at the high end.

Illo could have 2/3 years of lifting weights beside Furlong and Porter before he's even looking for game time.

Guys like Greg McGrath and Aungier are flying it in Connacht at the expense of their own academy players. Leinster's academy has gaps, but the tighthead program has been stellar.

Maybe the new calendar with less international clashes will make difference, but even with everyone fit and no rotation the 5th tighthead in Leinster makes sub-sub for senior games.
Connacht have a massive prop crisis at loosehead. Buckley has an injury that may keep him out until the spring and Paddy McAllister has retired. This makes Jordan Duggan the likely first choice. He looks good but it's a lot of responsibility early in his development. Bealham could be moved over in a pinch, in which case Jack Aungier will be number one at tight.

Greg McGrath has just arrived and is untested. The Academy contains a total of one prop, Charlie Ward at loosehead, I think he's entering his second year. It's wrong to say that the Leinster recruitment has occurred at the expense of their own players - this is old mother Hubbard's prop cupboard.

Illo is a great recruit for Connacht, he stood out for the power of his carries in the U20s, excited to see how he develops. And for the reasons outlined by Dave Cahill this makes sense in the broader scheme of prop development in Ireland.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Did I miss something about Greg McGrath? Has he played for Connacht yet?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:47 am Did I miss something about Greg McGrath? Has he played for Connacht yet?
No, he only joined after the end of last season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Wouldn't have been surprised if Temi Lasisi or Jack Boyle had been offered contracts at Connacht as well as they are in dire need of LH props. The hope among Connacht fans is that they can pick up someone in mid-September after the regular season in South Africa. Duggan is good but by no means the finished product.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

sunshiner1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:23 am Wouldn't have been surprised if Temi Lasisi or Jack Boyle had been offered contracts at Connacht as well as they are in dire need of LH props. The hope among Connacht fans is that they can pick up someone in mid-September after the regular season in South Africa. Duggan is good but by no means the finished product.
What's Heinke van der Merwe at, only 36 and always seemed to be in good shape!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

sunshiner1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:23 am Wouldn't have been surprised if Temi Lasisi or Jack Boyle had been offered contracts at Connacht as well as they are in dire need of LH props. The hope among Connacht fans is that they can pick up someone in mid-September after the regular season in South Africa. Duggan is good but by no means the finished product.
Lasisi is injured and Boyle is 18. If Connacht need immediate help at LH prop there are better options.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:08 am
wixfjord wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:47 am Did I miss something about Greg McGrath? Has he played for Connacht yet?
I don't think it's a coincidence that Leinster promoted him from the AIL on a short term contract and Connacht signed him when he was released. His success for Leinster was, IMO, important in him getting the opportunity for Connacht.

I.e.he's more valuable to Connacht with time in the Leinster setup than he would have been coming straight from the AIL.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: July 29th, 2021, 1:58 pm
cormac wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:08 am
I don't think it's a coincidence that Leinster promoted him from the AIL on a short term contract and Connacht signed him when he was released. His success for Leinster was, IMO, important in him getting the opportunity for Connacht.

I.e.he's more valuable to Connacht with time in the Leinster setup than he would have been coming straight from the AIL.
I don't think he's 'flying it' at Connacht on the basis he hasn't played for them though?!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by mildlyinterested
sunshiner1
Wouldn't have been surprised if Temi Lasisi or Jack Boyle had been offered contracts at Connacht as well as they are in dire need of LH props. The hope among Connacht fans is that they can pick up someone in mid-September after the regular season in South Africa. Duggan is good but by no means the finished product.
Lasisi is injured and Boyle is 18. If Connacht need immediate help at LH prop there are better options.

Agreed but they also need something in the long to medium term as well. They have one prop in the academy who might make it, though I wouldn't put money on it and they need to replace Buckley in the next season or two.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: July 29th, 2021, 2:12 pm
I don't think he's 'flying it' at Connacht on the basis he hasn't played for them though?!
Ask Conor Kenny.
Connacht have ditched a guy who did the 3 years in the academy in favour of a Leinster guy as he graduated and an AIL player who never made an academy but spent a few months in the Leinster senior setup when there was an injury crisis.

It happens for many reasons, but I know where I'd choose to be.

Moot anyway as it wasn't his decision.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:43 pm
Ask Conor Kenny.
Connacht have ditched a guy who did the 3 years in the academy in favour of a Leinster guy as he graduated and an AIL player who never made an academy but spent a few months in the Leinster senior setup when there was an injury crisis.

He's an AIL player who got released by Leinster and hasn't played a game for his new club yet.

I don't know what your definition of 'flying it' is, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean 'about to pull on a pre-season training bib for the first time'!
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

ronk wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:43 pm
Ask Conor Kenny.

I'd say there's a good chance Kenny had an offer but backed himself to go to the Premiership and get more gametime. He's English qualified too so probably quite an attractive punt for Newcastle.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I thought I read it said as he signed for Newcastle after he was told he was being cut.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sam Illo joining Connachts senior squad and skipping academy.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: July 30th, 2021, 2:10 pm Sam Illo joining Connachts senior squad and skipping academy.
Well I don't think Leinster were ever gonna match that deal, so that's that I suppose.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeinsterLeader wrote: July 30th, 2021, 3:04 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: July 30th, 2021, 2:10 pm Sam Illo joining Connachts senior squad and skipping academy.
Well I don't think Leinster were ever gonna match that deal, so that's that I suppose.
100%. I have no problem with that happening, I think it's sort of good in this case. DC wasn't wrong about a congested pathway for Illo at Leinster.

Connacht have shown that they want Illo more than Leinster wanted him, and have taken a punt on him. When you put somebody on senior deal, you're paying them to play, not to develop. There's no doubt in my mind that he will have some tough days, as he is still going to be at the same level physically and tactically as he would have been as a Year 1 Academy player at Leinster. But it will be an interesting case study to see how much difference a significant block of gametime makes to development at a young age.

And if they don't play him, then they've simply overreached for him. That's Connacht's business.

It has worked out well for Sam, who has gone from not even being in an academy to a pro deal – so €0 p.a. to €24-40k p.a. depending on whether he has signed a development contract for his first year or a basic senior contract. Good work from him and his agent.