Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I thought the deal was in process. Nearly broke my finger clicking the link :lol:

"Etzebeth signing would add to Leinster mix"
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/052 ... nster-mix/
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Strange article. It almost sounded like we are after him and lenihan was suggesting that we were trying to get etzebeth through the door. Think he just meant we need an etzebeth type lock but getting the man himself is probably never going to happen!! Would be some signing if we got that quality of player in thou!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Can't see Lucifora allowing us sign a foreign second row player with two of them - or maybe even three - i gCúige Mumhan already taking up a quarter (sic) of the provincial starting places in that position next season! We have to do our bit for Team Ireland don't you know?....
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 10:10 am Can't see Lucifora allowing us sign a foreign second row player with two of them - or maybe even three - i gCúige Mumhan already taking up a quarter (sic) of the provincial starting places in that position next season! We have to do our bit for Team Ireland don't you know?....
Yeah, but at least it's an improvement in the strip-mine the Leinster squad line of years past. And it builds up capital with the public to expect future signings if necessary.

Nucifora bet on the wrong horse. He went all in on getting Munster ahead for very little return. That sort of support could probably have seen 2 more Heineken Cups in the last 3 years.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: May 27th, 2021, 10:29 am
riocard911 wrote: May 27th, 2021, 10:10 am Can't see Lucifora allowing us sign a foreign second row player with two of them - or maybe even three - i gCúige Mumhan already taking up a quarter (sic) of the provincial starting places in that position next season! We have to do our bit for Team Ireland don't you know?....
Yeah, but at least it's an improvement in the strip-mine the Leinster squad line of years past. And it builds up capital with the public to expect future signings if necessary.

Nucifora bet on the wrong horse. He went all in on getting Munster ahead for very little return. That sort of support could probably have seen 2 more Heineken Cups in the last 3 years.
This sort of media coverage reminds me that the season is getting back to more familiar rhythms. As much as I love Donal Lenihan [who is a rock of good sense and a consummate rugby man], he wouldn't be writing or saying this in November, February or March. Neither he, nor anybody else involved in covering rugby in Ireland, would be saying it.

If we had an Etzebeth, Skelton or Retallick [a man can dream] at Leinster, Donie and every journalist worth their salt would be asking what the provinces are actually for, why Ryan Baird is stuck behind a fellah who can't even play for Ireland when Ireland so badly need second rows, why Jack Dunne and Charlie Ryan are stuck playing in the AIL [which is sh*t when it suits your argument] when they could be playing in Pro14 [which is good when it suits your argument] for Connacht etc.

You can really focus on your province's problems in December, April and May. Otherwise it's all Team Ireland. Nature is healing.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

riocard911 wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:20 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:19 pm I watched the Bulls vs Stormers game there at the weekend, and my biggest takeaway was that the Michael Alaalatoa signing was incredibly wise. The Stormers front row was Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi & Steven Kitshoff. They each range from 17.5 to 20 stone. All 30 year old veterans, capped by South Africa & incredibly destructive scrummagers.

I would actually be worried for the health and safety of a Tom Clarkson going up against that front row on a tour of South Africa where Porter & Furlong aren't allowed to travel.

Next year will be a different proposition altogether and I think some teams are going to have a seriously rude awakening down there. Some of the weaker teams in the league will be absolutely crucified in the tight.
I too watched that game and my thoughts were, that the Pro16 is gonna be primarily between our provinces and the Saffers and that the Scots, Welsh and Italian teams would really want to get the finger out, if they don't want to be perennially inhabiting the bottom rungs of the new league.

And while I mightn'd be the greatest fan of the Lions, the upcoming BIL tour to RSA could prove to be a huge advertisement for the Pro16 with the Bulls, Lions, Sharks & Stormers all lined up to play pre-Test matches against the tourists.
The next step is splitting the league if the gap gets too big. The South Africans would be open to that and so should the Irish. Promotion relegation would being many benefits.

I agree with the second paragraph too. Perfect timing for the new ProX. I hope they can think of a new name that they don't have to change so often eg one without a number.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

dropkick wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:48 am
riocard911 wrote: May 11th, 2021, 3:20 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:19 pm I watched the Bulls vs Stormers game there at the weekend, and my biggest takeaway was that the Michael Alaalatoa signing was incredibly wise. The Stormers front row was Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi & Steven Kitshoff. They each range from 17.5 to 20 stone. All 30 year old veterans, capped by South Africa & incredibly destructive scrummagers.

I would actually be worried for the health and safety of a Tom Clarkson going up against that front row on a tour of South Africa where Porter & Furlong aren't allowed to travel.

Next year will be a different proposition altogether and I think some teams are going to have a seriously rude awakening down there. Some of the weaker teams in the league will be absolutely crucified in the tight.
I too watched that game and my thoughts were, that the Pro16 is gonna be primarily between our provinces and the Saffers and that the Scots, Welsh and Italian teams would really want to get the finger out, if they don't want to be perennially inhabiting the bottom rungs of the new league.

And while I mightn'd be the greatest fan of the Lions, the upcoming BIL tour to RSA could prove to be a huge advertisement for the Pro16 with the Bulls, Lions, Sharks & Stormers all lined up to play pre-Test matches against the tourists.
The next step is splitting the league if the gap gets too big. The South Africans would be open to that and so should the Irish. Promotion relegation would being many benefits.

I agree with the second paragraph too. Perfect timing for the new ProX. I hope they can think of a new name that they don't have to change so often eg one without a number.
Possibly will be able to test my hunch that Benetton will compete with a good strong tight five and decent half-backs. The next four weeks should see how that may play out.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Cian Kelleher to Ealing confirmed by leinster.
Spellster
Beginner

Post by Spellster »

Disappointed to see him go, felt like him and Dave did very well together on the wings in a lot of games.

We seem very light in the back 3 now with Rob, Ferg, Barry Daly and now Cian leaving (Adam Byrne's injury issues don't help either).

We only really have Dave, Lowe, Larmour and Keenan as senior back 3 members right now, ROL and TOB can play wing I guess but they are really centres. Jamie Osborne is the best academy back we have but from what I've seen, I think his best position is 13.

Maybe we could be making a signing in the back 3?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sorry to see him go, but we have scope to manage and it seems that he's got a good offer.

All the best to the lad.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Yeah, back three is a bit of a worry for me.

Keenan has been a great discovery this season, stepped up more levels than I would have expected in the past 12 months. Feels a bit like Lowe has gone backwards, Larmour has been about the same and Dave has improved, but is still relatively limited.

We’ve really struggled to keep everyone else fit — those four players have almost always been our entire depth chart.

What’s the story with Adam Byrne? We really need him back and firing. I’ve also been a fan of Jimmy O’Brien, but he has had his injury struggles. Frawley could potentially slot into 15 if required, but is Mr. Glass right now.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'm hopeful that we're not going to get hit so badly for injuries next season.

Max O'Reilly has a way to go but could become useful relatively quickly.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I don’t think O’Reilly is the answer. Worth noting the particularly high injury rate across the 3/4s this year. Having A Byrne, C O’Brien and T O’Brien is like a number of new signings. Seems Aaron O’Sullivan and Silvester struggling to break through. Andrew Smith might be a good squad player at very least.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster lack big time athletes in their outside backs who are also very good rugby players.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 9:23 am Leinster lack big time athletes in their outside backs who are also very good rugby players.
Rare in general. Harder here as we don't really know how to develop players like that.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 10:30 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 9:23 am Leinster lack big time athletes in their outside backs who are also very good rugby players.
Rare in general. Harder here as we don't really know how to develop players like that.
not that rare in modern rugby.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bayonne relegated yesterday. Am sure there’ll be a few guys looking to get out of there.

One of them might be Mikitzadze. Ex Toulon, experienced, 20+st TH lock aged 29.

In the unlikely event we’re looking to take a punt on a guy to fill that spot we could do worse.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: June 13th, 2021, 12:43 pm Bayonne relegated yesterday. Am sure there’ll be a few guys looking to get out of there.

One of them might be Mikitzadze. Ex Toulon, experienced, 20+st TH lock aged 29.

In the unlikely event we’re looking to take a punt on a guy to fill that spot we could do worse.
Gonna be 2 NIQ second-rows in Munster next season and at least one in Ulster and Connacht. Can't see use being allowed one to be honest (unless they decide everyone should have one).

Things change quickly in Rugby but on the face of it I just don't see our second row stocks being good enough to allow us to to wage an attack on Europe next season. Might need to go through a "Munster-like" building phase for a season or 2 (or 10)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In James Ryan we have one of the top top locks in all Europe. Toner can be a dominant player that opponents have to respect. Baird is a fast developing super athlete. Molony is a tidy mature player and good in the lineout.

If Dunne gets good game time and develops well he'll be a big powerful athletic lock.

We can be powerful in the scrums with what we have at the top level, but we need to concentrate. We can have a powerful maul but we need to be careful too. The bigger risk at the moment comes in the backrow.

If 2 of Ruddock, Doris, Conan are fit and we have in form opensides then we have extra power. Connors would have been useful for more of this season.

I think we can win next season, we don't have the depth to manage the injuries we got at the very top level. No one else does either.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: June 13th, 2021, 3:09 pm In James Ryan we have one of the top top locks in all Europe. Toner can be a dominant player that opponents have to respect. Baird is a fast developing super athlete. Molony is a tidy mature player and good in the lineout.

If Dunne gets good game time and develops well he'll be a big powerful athletic lock.

Alternative view:

James Ryan is brilliant but has had a major dip in form. Dev was on his last legs this season and won't be 'dominant' at a high level again. Baird is a brilliant athlete with a huge amount to learn about being a top second row. Ross is a great solid 'Billy Holland' type player who's 'level' is probably benching in Euro pool games.

Dunne is a big hope but has had a bad injury and is a long way away from being a Euro starter.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.