Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by LeinsterLeader »

jezzer wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:55 am I find it wild that it's in any way newsworthy.
I suppose the hope is someday stuff like this won't be.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 12:07 pm
jezzer wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:55 am I find it wild that it's in any way newsworthy.
It shouldn’t have to be, but it is.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 12:39 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 12:07 pm

There's a big dollop of virtue signaling mixed in to be fair (the comments, not N McC).
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I’m confused by the whole “virtue signalling” thing.

The man’s been through a rough time of it, he’s been supported by his teammates and club.

What do you mean by “virtue signalling in the comments”?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

The comments around Nick are definitely not virtue signalling. It may be reasonably normalised to have your sexuality widely known in every day life, it’s anything but in the world of male professional sport.

You really don’t have to look too far back to see examples in other sports of how people were treated because of their sexuality. Justin Fashanu was barred from training with his team when Brian Clough found out about his sexuality.

Fashanu came out publicly in 1990 and was abused by teammates and crowds alike. The world has changed a lot since then but it has taken the full 32 years for another professional footballer in England to come out publicly.

People like Nick are risking a lot coming out while still in the public eye. Hopefully we can get to a point where it’s a non-issue, but we aren’t even close to that right now.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

People have short memories
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Serb wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 4:38 pm The comments around Nick are definitely not virtue signalling. It may be reasonably normalised to have your sexuality widely known in every day life, it’s anything but in the world of male professional sport.

You really don’t have to look too far back to see examples in other sports of how people were treated because of their sexuality. Justin Fashanu was barred from training with his team when Brian Clough found out about his sexuality.

Fashanu came out publicly in 1990 and was abused by teammates and crowds alike. The world has changed a lot since then but it has taken the full 32 years for another professional footballer in England to come out publicly.

People like Nick are risking a lot coming out while still in the public eye. Hopefully we can get to a point where it’s a non-issue, but we aren’t even close to that right now.
"People like Nick are risking a lot coming out while still in the public eye" Are they really?
By the reaction of all his teamates, his employers, his fans on here there was no risk to worry at all.
One of his own teamates came out only recently and was applauded.
He got the same reaction the likes of Nigel Owens and Gareth Thomas got years ago.
It didn't stop Leo Varadkar getting elected in his constituency time and again and becoming the leader of this country.

The reality is that most people don't care.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 6:22 pm
Serb wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 4:38 pm The comments around Nick are definitely not virtue signalling. It may be reasonably normalised to have your sexuality widely known in every day life, it’s anything but in the world of male professional sport.

"People like Nick are risking a lot coming out while still in the public eye" Are they really?
By the reaction of all his teamates, his employers, his fans on here there was no risk to worry at all.
He got the same reaction the likes of Nigel Owens and Gareth Thomas got years ago.
It didn't stop Leo Varadkar getting elected in his constituency time and again and becoming the leader of this country.

The bit you’re missing blocky is the piece right at the start of the article where he says:

NMcC: It has. I came out to my teammates in January and I was obviously pretty nervous about doing so, but I’m really happy that I did it.

I struggled with coming out for a while and it was starting to impact on me and my happiness so it was the right decision.

MÓB: How bad did that struggle get?

NMcC: It affected me so much that I agonised over my future and contemplated walking away from rugby altogether because I just didn’t think I could come out while playing rugby.

But, I spoke to Leo (Cullen) and Stuart (Lancaster) last November and the support that I got from them straight away was unbelievable. They helped and guided me over the months that followed so that I felt more comfortable to come out to the group.
So if you walk across the main road without looking left or right and don’t get hit by a car that doesn’t mean there was no risk involved…
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 6:22 pm

You are making this a black and white conversation.
Sure, most people don’t care, but that is not the same as saying that nobody cares.
It also doesn’t mean that nobody that matters will care.

The truth is, whilst Ireland is very progressive, and you are correct, most people don’t care, there are still plenty of people who do.

A good friend of mine came out to his family about 6 years ago, his father’s first reply was to tell my friend to leave and don’t come back.

I know of one former Munster and Ireland player who pretended to be straight throughout their playing career, going as far as having plenty of girlfriends, and only recently came out.

Whilst Nick may now be feeling that he should have done this years ago, it was still a very brave move and was definitely not an easy thing to do.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Saying that people don’t care completely ignores what was going through his head. It’s a huge deal to him personally and will be to many others as well, hopefully the overwhelmingly positive response will mean that soon others won’t have to struggle in private as well.

Jesus it’s hard enough for most people to open up to friends and family never mind make a public announcement and have to wait for the reaction.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

It's pride month ffs. They chose to do it now because it's pride month and it might help someone like him in that situation. I hope anyone in the closet of any age who see's the reaction see's how positive the reaction is and that they can have that too. It's an unambiguosly good thing and if you feel the need to jump in with culture war brain and start waffling about virtue signalling you're probably too online(been there myself) and should just log off.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:49 pm It's pride month ffs. They chose to do it now because it's pride month and it might help someone like him in that situation. I hope anyone in the closet of any age who see's the reaction see's how positive the reaction is and that they can have that too. It's an unambiguosly good thing and if you feel the need to jump in with culture war brain and start waffling about virtue signalling you're probably too online(been there myself) and should just log off.
I could not have said this better myself
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

deco wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 12:39 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 12:07 pm I suppose the hope is someday stuff like this won't be.

There's a big dollop of virtue signaling mixed in to be fair (the comments, not N McC).
The use of the phrase "virtue signalling" is always the biggest signal for me

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

paddyor wrote: June 23rd, 2022, 11:49 pm It's pride month ffs. They chose to do it now because it's pride month and it might help someone like him in that situation. I hope anyone in the closet of any age who see's the reaction see's how positive the reaction is and that they can have that too. It's an unambiguosly good thing and if you feel the need to jump in with culture war brain and start waffling about virtue signalling you're probably too online(been there myself) and should just log off.
100%
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: June 21st, 2022, 7:14 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 21st, 2022, 7:03 pm
riocard911 wrote: June 21st, 2022, 1:00 pm Which socks will Adam wear - blue, green or one of each?
Im gonna guess he’ll wear his old school socks, whatever colour they happen to be
You would
So in Sock Watch:
Dev wore one black and blue sock and one red yellow and black, so Castlenock and Lansdowne I assume.

AByrne wore one green sock and one blue sock, so I assum one for UCD and one for Naas ?
Serb
Mullet

Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Serb »

Sounds like Ciaran Frawley will start at 10 for Ireland tomorrow. Jimmy O’Brien starting at full back with Joe McCarthy at loosehead lock.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Serb wrote: June 28th, 2022, 2:28 am Sounds like Ciaran Frawley will start at 10 for Ireland tomorrow. Jimmy O’Brien starting at full back with Joe McCarthy at loosehead lock.
Joe is one of my dark horses to actually make it onto the test team this tour.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Theleinsterlad wrote: June 28th, 2022, 7:19 pm
Serb wrote: June 28th, 2022, 2:28 am Sounds like Ciaran Frawley will start at 10 for Ireland tomorrow. Jimmy O’Brien starting at full back with Joe McCarthy at loosehead lock.
Joe is one of my dark horses to actually make it onto the test team this tour.
There's every chance.
a] This tour is going to be a demolition derby. We have already lost one lock.
2] Farrell wants to pick McCarthy and will if Joe plays well enough to make an argument for himself.
iii] Joe is good.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Could still happen I suppose but yesterday probably didn't help his chances.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote: June 30th, 2022, 9:51 pm Could still happen I suppose but yesterday probably didn't help his chances.
I don’t think yesterday was that important tbh. The main event is Saturday. His selection is probably contingent on injury though.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles