Leinster Squad 21-22

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster Squad 21-22

Post by Twist »

That would be my thinking too. I'd like if they'd confirmed it! But really, is there any other reason to only sign a 1 year extension?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Twist wrote: May 10th, 2021, 2:16 pm That would be my thinking too. I'd like if they'd confirmed it! But really, is there any other reason to only sign a 1 year extension?
There's probably a couple. The player might want to keep his options open, the IRFU might not want to commit too much scarce cash until they see a full recovery from his injury post Lions tour, they have more than one egg in the tighthead basket, and - as has been said - a holding contract until there is a bit more cash in the kitty
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Yeah that seems to be the way it is alright. A quote from the man himself "....... we'll go at it again now next year"

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 46/video/1
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Apparently, because we supply so many players to the Irish squad, we pay our 2nd & 3rd string players well (at or around What front liners get in other PRO14 teams) so that we retain them and have a competitive team during international windows. Unfortunately our top string (1-25) pay and talent is somewhat diluted as a result.

Hard to strike the right balance when we have two masters.

If this is the case, and I am v confident of my source, then it further highlights how the IRFU (Nucifora) is milking Leinster but not nurturing us as he should.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'd be pretty confident that it is a function of IRFU offers this Season which reflect pandemic and are below expectations (remembering that some players are still in national contracts agreed in 2019). Agreeing a 1-yr deal has the risk that pandemic might extend till next year and position will be worse OR the pandemic will be over, spectators and other income flows will be restored and offers will be improved OR the player gets injured or loses form and offers reduce or disappear altogether.

Its not a great set of alternatives and gives a sense as to just how fragile is the contractual options of a top player in the current climate.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

What’s the story with Ciaran Frawleys contract?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Leo set the trend with his one year deal.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I watched the Bulls vs Stormers game there at the weekend, and my biggest takeaway was that the Michael Alaalatoa signing was incredibly wise. The Stormers front row was Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi & Steven Kitshoff. They each range from 17.5 to 20 stone. All 30 year old veterans, capped by South Africa & incredibly destructive scrummagers.

I would actually be worried for the health and safety of a Tom Clarkson going up against that front row on a tour of South Africa where Porter & Furlong aren't allowed to travel.

Next year will be a different proposition altogether and I think some teams are going to have a seriously rude awakening down there. Some of the weaker teams in the league will be absolutely crucified in the tight.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I remember the u20 world championships a couple of years ago and everyone was shitting themselves because the Springboks had Steven Kitshoff in their side who was already a Super Rugby regular. He got absolutely buckled by the then relatively unknown Irish tighthead, some lad called Furlong.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:19 pm I watched the Bulls vs Stormers game there at the weekend, and my biggest takeaway was that the Michael Alaalatoa signing was incredibly wise. The Stormers front row was Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi & Steven Kitshoff. They each range from 17.5 to 20 stone. All 30 year old veterans, capped by South Africa & incredibly destructive scrummagers.

I would actually be worried for the health and safety of a Tom Clarkson going up against that front row on a tour of South Africa where Porter & Furlong aren't allowed to travel.

Next year will be a different proposition altogether and I think some teams are going to have a seriously rude awakening down there. Some of the weaker teams in the league will be absolutely crucified in the tight.
I do get what you're saying, and there'll definitely be a step up in physicality with the Saffers (particularly down there).

But I could just as easily see a Stormers fan taking a look at our games with Byrne/Dooley, Tracy/Cronin, Bent, Toner, Fardy and going:

"Bru they have a lekker front 5 even without internationals, full of experienced capped players".
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:52 pm I remember the u20 world championships a couple of years ago and everyone was shitting themselves because the Springboks had Steven Kitshoff in their side who was already a Super Rugby regular. He got absolutely buckled by the then relatively unknown Irish tighthead, some lad called Furlong.
so a u20 prop who has turned out to irelands best ever tighthead was better than his counterpart from south africa at underage level. Great, but not sure what it proves.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 11th, 2021, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:52 pm I remember the u20 world championships a couple of years ago and everyone was shitting themselves because the Springboks had Steven Kitshoff in their side who was already a Super Rugby regular. He got absolutely buckled by the then relatively unknown Irish tighthead, some lad called Furlong.
I always think the motivation is lacking in guys who play down a level or two like that. Like if someone like Jamie Osbourne plays in the JWC then I don’t actually expect him to tear it up. He might do, but generally these guys are underwhelming in situations like that.

Also I hate to break it to you but that was nearly ten years ago!
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Lock9541 wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:04 am What’s the story with Ciaran Frawleys contract?
Anyone know?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Yeah. And that was the moment when I was sure Furlong was gonna be a superstar.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Lock9541 wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:20 pm
Lock9541 wrote: May 11th, 2021, 8:04 am What’s the story with Ciaran Frawleys contract?
Anyone know?
he is contracted to be with leinster next season.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:04 pm
so a u20 prop who has turned out to irelands best ever tighthead was better than his counterpart from south africa at underage level. Great, but not sure what it proves.
It proves that I remember the u20 world championships a couple of years ago and everyone was shitting themselves because the Springboks had Steven Kitshoff in their side who was already a Super Rugby regular. He got absolutely buckled by the then relatively unknown Irish tighthead, some lad called Furlong.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 11th, 2021, 2:06 pm Also I hate to break it to you but that was nearly ten years ago!
Good jaysus!
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 11th, 2021, 1:19 pm I watched the Bulls vs Stormers game there at the weekend, and my biggest takeaway was that the Michael Alaalatoa signing was incredibly wise. The Stormers front row was Frans Malherbe, Bongi Mbonambi & Steven Kitshoff. They each range from 17.5 to 20 stone. All 30 year old veterans, capped by South Africa & incredibly destructive scrummagers.

I too watched that game and my thoughts were, that the Pro16 is gonna be primarily between our provinces and the Saffers and that the Scots, Welsh and Italian teams would really want to get the finger out, if they don't want to be perennially inhabiting the bottom rungs of the new league.

And while I mightn'd be the greatest fan of the Lions, the upcoming BIL tour to RSA could prove to be a huge advertisement for the Pro16 with the Bulls, Lions, Sharks & Stormers all lined up to play pre-Test matches against the tourists.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Has there been any more talk of Cian Kelleher leaving? Seems to have gone quiet on that front.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I assume contracts won’t expire until the end of June, so maybe he’ll slip out quietly at that point? He’s unlikely to get the big farewell that people like Bent and Fardy have gotten.